Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost ready to drive??

img_1310-jpg.1787067

Tie a rope around each wheel for steering and take her for a spin!

Visited today. Final cut & buff tomorrow, plan to pick up the tub on Friday. All the remaining loose parts either Monday or Tuesday.

Floor is a bit low-gloss, it has some chip protection under the paint which adds a slightly rough texture.

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

Spent the afternoon chasing all the threaded holes from paint and primer. Also played around with some trim and such, just because I can. Should pick up most—if not all—the remaining parts from the painter tomorrow. Planning a tub reunification party for Sunday after lunch.

IMG_1323.jpg

Today was one of those personally satisfying moments that may not mean much to others. But considering how much time I put into developing a truly accurate repro of the sill sticker that early FJ40s used instead of emblems (Repro Toyota stickers for FJ40 (45?) rear sill), being able to finally apply one to my own rig is a big personal deal. Very satisfying!

img_1328-jpg.1791604

img_1329-jpg.1791605

More parts going on today. Not quite ready for the fuel tank and wiring, but close.

Had a nice visit today with @bb67tlc and his wife today, as they were passing through the area on their way back home. Was a pleasure meeting you both.

First fender fitted. Won't know for certain until the second fender and bib are on, but things do seem to line up better than before now that the A-pillar has been straightened.

IMG_1331.JPG

Your passing me by with a quickness... looking great!!!

I still have painting to do... lots of prep and painting... gah... :)

My goal is to have it ready for a short road trip to the coast in 4 weeks. Can't dally too much.

Fenders, bib and bumper fitted. Really pleased with how everything lined up now that the tub is straight.

Really want to get the hood on, but need to wait until I have the wiring all buttoned up.

Small crisis in progress - the PTO trap door for the tunnel cover is missing. Apparently misplaced at the painter's shop. Really hoping he can find it, as I know those things are hard to find.

IMG_1334.jpg

The original PTO trap door is still MIA, both the sand blaster and painter are looking for it. I'm pretty certain I got it back from the sand blaster, but they are checking for me just in case.

In the mean time, @65swb45 (Mark) had a nice one, and I bought it today. I'd rather have 2 than wait around in case the original is found and end up with none.

Was planning to have new glass cut for the aftermarket mirror heads this rig has had since very early in its life, but I found the same exact mirror heads are still available today (Grote brand) for all of $16 each shipped. Since the glass shop told me $25 each for new glass, new heads was a no-brainer.

Fitting all manner of bits. Seems a bit helter-skelter in what part I do next, but it sort of depends on what parts are at the top of the pile, or otherwise in the way or easy to get to.

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

No visible changes over the weekend. Yesterday was a day off from LC work. Today I installed the wiring harnesses. Everything works so far, except the heater, horns and wipers - none of which are installed yet!

Having a lot of fun installing all the cool/rare/early bits. Like the Hupp heater box and control, Vader light and Denso flasher unit, early rear view mirror, and correct small running boards.

Planning to put gas in it tomorrow, then start it up again. Something like 3 months since it has been running.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Added some fresh gas, and it now runs and drives once again. Much happier now with the new clutch, and already seems better riding in just short hops with the new spring shackle bushings.

Ready to install the hood and winch, but need to get a second body to help with those. Also need to get the windshield in. I figure roping it in would be simple, but I'd need some helpers, a suitable rope or cord, plus a tool to install the lockstrip. May just bite the bullet and pay a glass shop to do that.

img_1348-jpg.1798019

img_1349-jpg.1798020

img_1350-jpg.1798021

That is nice. Beyond. Careful though you’re getting your tires on some dirt:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom