Safari snorkel, internal pipe used? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, have had this snorkel now for many years. When it was installed by MAF they installed flexible wire reinforced rubber hose connecting the 62's air filter up into the snorkel housing. While Driving it back from Grand Canyon the engine would just quit. I'd pull over and let it cool down. 15 min later we'd take off again. Only for it to rescuer.
This would happen while traveling uphill under heavy load.
I thought it was the fuel filter, nope. Fuel pump, nope. air filter, nope.
It's only been going on since MAF had done some work recently. What work had they done? Rear sway bar and installed a 62's air cleaner and the snorkel.
So, I disconnected the hose at the tip of the 62's air intake.
Problem solved. I assumed the heat and increased intake draw was sufficient to cause the hose to collapse, starving the engine of air. I though the very existence of wire in the hose was there to stop it from collapsing.

So, should I have some 3" exhaust pipe bent and inserted up through the snorkel?

What have you all done?

The snorkel looks cool, but not functional. I need to fix this.

Thanks much.

Chris.

ok, no one is running a safari land snorkel? what did you use from the Fj62 air box/ filter up through the snorkel?

I can't imagine a hose that's a couple or more inches in the diameter collapsing due to air intake suction unless the hose was paper thin.

The engine just doesn't suck that much air to collapse a reasonable wall thickness hose (I'm assuming something in the 1/10 - 1/8" thickness and rated to at least underhood engine temps).

Have you checked that there isn't something stuffed inside the snorkel?

How about a picture of the hose that MAF used so we can get an idea of routing and quality etc?

cheers,
george.

George,
I’ll try getting that pic tomorrow. Just had back surgery on the 17th. I’m pretty mobile, just a bit sore and dragging a wound pump along with me. At least it’s not a Foley catheter, or worse. That would have been a game ender. Lol.
Thanks for stepping up to the plate with a suggestion. Much appreciated.

Chris.

I would see if something is not stuffed inside. I ran a snorkel on my first 60 and never had an issue.
Looking at the one I have in the garage, the hose is not much more that what you described.
Kind of like this stuff.

1870__25714.1409848529.jpg

My snorkel uses regular corrugated plastic tubing and its never given me an issue. Its hooked to an oem BJ60 intake on the fender and theres even thinner hose on the air cleaner assembly to carb hat. I've burnt that on the valve cover before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom