Hood flutters over 55 mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All

I have a little hood flutter when driving highway speeds on my 100. I looked for adjustable stops but the 100 has solid rubber stops under the hood. My truck has lived in the south it’s entire life and just wondering if it is necessary to replace the stops due to hardening or if there is an adjustment I can make?

The hood rest stops on my '99 are adjustable...turn CW/CCW to raise/lower.

Last edited:
Same here on my 2006 LX470...they look "solid" but turn for necessary adjustment

Since even the most powerful 100 Series is painfully slow, Toyota added the flutter feature to give the illusion we're haulin ***

Same as the other guys said - mine fluttered, stops looked solid, adjusted to eliminate the flutter. If there's not enough adjustment, or it ends up sitting above the fender, you can relocate the hood latch down a bit. There's another thread - Hood shakes at highway speeds. Is there a way to adjust hood latch down? on that topic - fairly recent too. But be sure to read the entire thread word for word before asking any questions ;)

Just think of it as the opposite version of the classic Lexus commercial with all the champagne glasses all stacked in a pyramid. "Land Cruiser No Need Smooth Engine... Land Cruiser SMASH!!!"

i have this on my 80 as well. the problem and fix is that the structural ribs that are glued to the actual hood sheet metal has come loose over the years. can be fixed with body/seam sealer. you would need to remove the insulation and pull the hood. put weights on the ribs to make a good bond. i never got around to it on my 80 to see if in fact the ribs separated.

There’s a sweet spot on the hood adjustment. I got mine level with the fenders yet still stopped the hood movement

This bothered me for 18 hours of road trip a few weeks back. I adjusted the supports last week while doing my paint correction and it's a huge difference in driving experience for such a small thing.

It happens on a lot of cars that have some age. The center of the hood where the latch is located starts to bow down while the edges near the fenders are pushed up over the years with the bump stops. The easiest fix is to put a couple of 2x4's in the middle, then with two people push down on the corners of the hood near the headlights. Push a little, shut the hood to see if its snug enough, and then repeat until you get a nice tight fit with everything lined up.

I have been noticing this as well.. I was like wth is going on.

The easiest fix is to put a couple of 2x4's in the middle, then with two people push down on the corners of the hood near the headlights. Push a little, shut the hood to see if its snug enough, and then repeat until you get a nice tight fit with everything lined up.

Or just, ya know, use the adjusting knobs that are there. If those don't cut it, adjust the latch as otherwise mentioned. I'd throw one of those 2x4s at a technician if I saw him using your method to secure my hood.

Or just, ya know, use the adjusting knobs that are there. If those don't cut it, adjust the latch as otherwise mentioned. I'd throw one of those 2x4s at a technician if I saw him using your method to secure my hood.
I don't think you're understanding. After a certain amount of age, the hood is no longer its original shape. The center ends up dipped down more than original where the latch is, and the edges end up higher due to the bumpstops. You can adjust the bumpstops if you want, but a lot of times on an older vehicle that will end up causing the hood to sit up higher than the fenders before it will be snug enough to stop vibrating.

I'll take a photos tonight of what I'm describing. It may make more sense with some pictures.

I think I follow, you're saying that the hood panel itself has actually 'warped' over time thus the given adjustments wouldn't be able to compensate for it.

Imagining the shape of the hood is a large factor, I'd also think that being mal-adjusted for a long time will sort of add to this phenomenon.

I'd probably still throw the 2x4 until a body tech explained that part :rofl:

Last edited:
Here are some photos to explain....

Put some wood in the center under the hood:

7Pazczqb-vDpQxB2ejnBOOX62QuDOeTk0eynyJJQDljUhQVVdvOoY6a8itRDFNvCngfwUHGNcZ6D-YjAnliFSKZnTxH9yqudTWbULYI0jTcorILroeFgggLGrye1WsKWyDqCpBJ5X3YitW7ryXNx2PoySz8rnTi7bxRCslcca3YCcLz1U44D6Y96UMQ73BmGkU2YUqCrTgOC57eB0X79ps2bocPgJqd8R3Pzg2XtkUY1_r-Crv3HYWW3traT8BlrH8pJQDR9nHZKjBYNheodMvcGOQiqy2oLxSKfGYh9SXxTydSB1r9JASiq54mZub0_3QS_3uG7N3fKx22P9e2DUsPKmILmipjRz5evYjpC13jvQxipm-vu1XoPwtzNpx55VubSUClGgQnwweT3Wd4FUhobD0zKDekbV-fiFKkBrni9fe8p_4UL7Vg2IDF6wTSLISZ3tdoro5ER2yqeix5x0UEyFb4aNBGbGHYSpcpTCEbs8hwGHtiaMK3ob_xEIl5hoOsN5tm_wtulnvlDiPQ7jzBH9GGfxYBGcZX6SgE_SHN7KQ_XolDmiN6By09P9Fu8Ae3Iv5uUswnwW2IQpFgH2yBSDs3C8Ls8kVmW0-mQ8mOua6lwnmqMbKNbOiV1oMhqCAbWQtPAPNxcjhBbj6b3H7NfaPJBmqkSpXlcJAo5P4wyjiSQYfNMx6-wLA=w2080-h1562-no

Close the hood on the wood. Making sure to use enough wood to get the hood to sit up a few inches:

ZBzepAgYVulDzytJsR8-gmPVD6J7CJz-hM05OeLqV48TfelMH3tT01BG1sHA1xxtklLnxwUnXwOT9gGHt9vv3iJfCDo8oqCFf2VQG9QdG9DqMMTLQKDEnIw3ZoAkeGQ57R2XxRNpiiPTTltGKvQY__hqVELZREvh2dL4aSMUdqeCSGINQnJ3tX4n4_rj_Cn-n3_CrNwDMup-7V_8Uglzflh1pYW960FjzyAwpXdr3c-9bOj1KZxX_dqOn6NcJfszTJ2tItzoOt39HumPZyibt9L1BFqpZ_XKEKFrSjWKN4mu4hR3_WCjTbxx6pOtocpwFXM980qFLl68DfoPV6lihxgIZ7bTsdVqeD_6ePpamcQP1xu46XaUBqZrGIDFA6xyrs9SDX59s__AZjxOICpVKlFEmbXyXQgHSNhAbWfPai5d9pmWqAtOoXKoLnNOc-GD3WDvTshTZSt8lwXizIPLPtZi5J_WuqsMzMgU96Mi36jxKANjgVdAH6NMbv7HjN71xY1HyhSaaOXAWi3mzwgO3EwRbWuV0rCPoXSJcm2xfJBogDoE072VKAYHRPPemrr4Hm5-c6kG02k56a21dCDarl-mFiSMllcMUo3UtdR87HWpKsFP2_MaH-Vl4I-PEyJ2XNc01I5My0r0-1ukliI0ij-FUTeYuNGp0QM-ddr2Nuew2WFtaFgEWPPwCA=w2080-h1562-no

Then get the help of a friend and push on both corners of the hood at the same time to bend it down slightly. Don't go all superman on it. Just push a bit, then close the hood and check fitment, repeat, check fitment, repeat, check fitment. Until you have a nice snug fit.

-JMwiaD1AF1v7dGMyWsAQ7RrJdUkaJgEWS452Qg46QjlmZ4i_p_96T2h0ABpXtClT7jRY3K5PLEYdiK5AREXF3dc-LJM7Sm5od2Cgv8EQfpPuPU_oYn9IOAey70G48BqwFzk7AqgtrSR5x6yDli-BHE8KRZzfXkvgIS5cUobvu8SUwmQeZIYQ5U0uUIJqQPN5ZOIXJdnhllVsZ-183QzJ1dEwr3B6j5PnBC_w6QnmXQuqArbUW5z8CVBrRw-lHmS1KAkYhtdvnrqKoTwPldTii0bfsnoZT6XW6-O4y8ZEgKtnMpTfotD73XOx3vmoKIe41gztClKmCCJ6aHyOrgg4FOGNwjGAOz0m3VDX997EkWvuOJaGut0cQtVYgqEIcTfIWUKUIRb020edLwL_WNrkdnv9vikmkIc3uI_YlPhpTPZe5x6VXqATn-NgTh4w4H6caX5Zr_Q2dkGJbZJzVSKpK9iZ0zhgYHuzGpzRVgbkGX1_3UT6N-RaqcT42EdINDfzvYcW0uvocwIn_Ua_mbNxsxh11fAzsmnEFV0ZKi9bcLuVKYnWhR4qnyCyP-tcsIAqw30xXcDwZzBlF3KCVaCZYh3HIIE5NCEu2gh503QwXB2Vf1cE_qT8Ar05uToaPE_1sNShLyLurnOekFGlR6V4DwJdvgc2iv_KbY4SBiC3L-HAPgACldUEw9jgg=w2080-h1562-no

@baktasht do you consider the gaps between the hood and fender when deciding to do the "reshape" fix? Theoretically, those gaps would close a bit as the hood flattened - indicating the hood has warped... theoretically... maybe. Of course, you'd have to know where they were originally. This fix does make sense though.

I think in this circumstance it would work in the reverse, wouldn't it? With the point of contact being in the middle, the hood wouldn't be getting 'flattened', but more 'domed', thus narrowing those fender/hood gaps.

Or maybe it's early for me to be thinking critically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom