Tailgate courtesy light switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
So today -suddenly- the alarm on my 100 went off when parked. After looking around it seems that the switch for the courtesy light on the tailgate is not working. I tested all 4 doors (switches) and they work but the tailgate one keeps the dome light on. So now the lock/arm with the key will not work. And if I slam the tailgate to shut it off and key to work the alarm will go off eventually when the tailgate switch fails.
BUT :
I can’t find where the switch is?!?! Googled and ckd here @ mud but only found fixes for 60s and 80s.
Any leads appreciated.

Where is the switch for the tailgate?

Cheers

It's on the lock mechanism. But, the most frequent source of this problem is a plug in the left corner of the tailgate. It's covered with foam (against rattle, presumably) which soaks water, which again makes the plug corrode.
Remove foam, clean plug, check connector springs for good tension on the pins.

It's on the lock mechanism. But, the most frequent source of this problem is a plug in the left corner of the tailgate. It's covered with foam (against rattle, presumably) which soaks water, which again makes the plug corrode.

THANKS !!! I’ll for sure chrck it out. Any chance you could pin point which plug I should look for? Is it on the glass section of the tail gate or the bottom part? Bc I don’t see any foam covered plugs. I only have black rubber bump stops but they are mounted on the frame not the actual tail gate.
Any pics :)?

My neighbors and me would thank you for it, the alarm keeps going off at random and I don’t feel like leaving the car unlocked.
Thanks !

Try pulling the fuse for the Security system until you isolate the short. Passenger side kick panel fuse box:

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 8.56.44 AM.png

Thanks @abuck99 although I still want to fix the switch. Any leads?

You can look through the EWD in the FSM to check the connector locations.

Upper tailgate. Hatch, I suppose. Lower left hand corner .

6A211A39-1A8B-454A-99D5-C6ED0141BBB2.png
4AD4E721-7BF1-4375-BBF3-BE0C63EE08BB.png
Upper tailgate. Hatch, I suppose. Lower left hand corner .

Thanks! But I’m still clueless to what I should be looking at. :frown:
The actual upper tailgate (the one that swings up) in my 100 only has the lic plate lights, otherwise it’s smooth all the way around except for the top part where the brake light etc is located.
I looked at the service manual and it only points out the actual locking mechanism.

There is a “dong” connected to it which I assume is the switch in the diagram but I can’t find it in real life.

You know it’s an issue when they page the “owner of a white Landcruiser come to the front “ at the supermarket bc the alarm is going off in the parking area :bang:

Is this tip for a 100 series or a 80s?
Cheers!

Is this tip for a 100 series or a 80s?
Cheers!
100 all the way. Why don't you just open the hatch and have a look. In the diagrams it's not so easy to find these mundane parts and systems.

Best to pull/disable the HORN fuse under the hood till the issue get's resolved.

100 all the way. Why don't you just open the hatch and have a look. In the diagrams it's not so easy to find these mundane parts and systems.

And I have ! Lol I spent about one hour this morning taking things apart. I pulled all the rubber gromets, unscrewed the hard plastic stoppers and looked around. Then I decided to pull off the carpeted part of the tail gate (lower non window part) and have a look. NOTHING! Can’t find the switch! The upper side of the tail gate (the part with glass) doesn’t have a pressure switch that I can find. All i see are the hard plastic parts (which i took off) and the wiring in the top part presumably for the 3rd brake light etc. And I don’t feel confident removing the 4 bolts to take the actual locking mechanism, specially if the switch is the one to restore.
But one thing did happen after all my poking around, now the done light turns off when I close the tailgate. I must have moved something although it not fixed or trustworthy imo.
Cheers

Thank the Lord and you so much. I've been searching for the MF for a month w/a dead battery every day, brutal. Finally, some photos and kindness. Thank all of you. 2004 Lexus LX470 (never let your wife borrow you beloved Cruiser ;) ha ha...minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom