Recognize this headlight switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can somebody tell me about this headlight switch--I've searched pictures and cannot find one like it. What year is it for? I am confused by it because I am not sure what the purpose of the spring is. It is like the spring that is on the wipe wash switches that allows for the knob to be twisted then return back to its original position but this one cannot rotate--odd.

Pictures would be much appreciated so that when I get this reassembled after its cleaning it will be correct.

Thanks.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

I believe there was a rare option headlight washer offered in a few markets, and thus could be a washer function on its headlight switch.

What model designation is stamped on the firewall ID plate? Any identifying numbers stamped on the switch box? What year vehicle is it from?

If your cleaning process involves opening up the switch, some photos of the internals might be interesting.

I am attaching some additional pictures. As can be seen, it is definitely a headlight switch. It has the opening in the back for the illuminating lamp to light up the "LIGHTS" on the knob. The shaft also has the clear plastic running through the inside of its length to help transfer the light to the knob. It also has the plastic slide on cover like other headlight switches.

It is the spring that I find so interesting. It is definitely a twist like spring but with the way it was assembled when I got it, it cannot twist.

I am pretty sure that it came out of a 1973.

VQx+2vJET86gMPKy3qVLnw.jpg

dRYM%PEVR7KWKDgPdgzFbA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6863.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6860.jpeg

Nice layout photo. Agreed, it is puzzling; the standard wiper switches rotate to ground the signal to the washer motor on a brass bar, but they have a visibly-connected wire.

Sometimes there is a usable number stamped on the back of the metal casing which is the last five digits of a ten-digit part number. Any such number on your switch?

The coiled spring looks like one of the varieties used for the washer function as does the cog wheel. 1973 seems a few years too early for this type switch, however it could be from a non Land Cruiser application. Assuming your Land Cruiser is a 1973-era and not from the 1980s, and no sign of the Euro-spec headlight washers or any unused relay or washer tank?

Let's ask @RAGINGMATT if he has seen this switch before? Another option is to ask some of our European brethren to chime in.

Thanks Bear. Yes, the back side of the metal casing has the number "20030". There is also "C32" on the back.

There were two headlight switches with that suffix number: 84110-20030 (9/72-9/73) and 84112-20030 so you may be correct for the date in 1973, but no sign of a 1970s headlight washer system. I've looked through the full-size 4-1/2" thick dealership master catalog for that period and all the varieties of headlight and wiper switches for all Toyota models offered here in the US. Yours is listed as 9/72-9/73, but there is only a vague drawing of possibly what might be that coiled spring on the headlight switch, and nothing about what the cog wheel would actuate.

There remains the possibility that someone previously had disassembled both a headlight and a wiper switch and inadvertently stuck the wiper spring back onto the headlight switch shaft. Absent any wire connection to what your cog wheel may actuate, I'm at a loss as to its purpose on your switch.

Thanks Bear for looking that up. It is an interesting switch, for sure.

Can you please take and post a picture of the drawing that you see in your parts catalogue that looks close to this switch?

FWIW my 1988 BJ74 LX had headlight squirters, so some late BJ/FJ40/41/42's could have had them too, could be for that.

Looked at this post again. Still would like @ToyotaMatt to give his input, as he has just listed a 84112-20030 non-rheostat lighted headlight switch. Appears it is intended for USA versions of the FJ40: 9/72 - 9/73, but possibly used on the 1974 year model as well--models I know very little about.

Checking an example here of this 4-wire switch, the coiled spring appears to have no purpose(maybe a ground thru the dash attachment?), and the cog it is attached to is locked in place on the switch case, and not moveable. Yes, puzzling construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom