99 LX470, Just bought my 1st ever SUV today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I just bought my 1st ever SUV and I have been a huge fan of LC/LX. I was interested in LC more than LX but I found this one for a good price. It is two owner 166000 miles. Maintenance records not so great but for the price I was willing to over look that. I will start working on the maintenance soon but if some one could help me what I should tackle 1st that would be great. Timing belt was done at 90 K and the owner could not show record for it but the lexus service record confirms his story. Do I need to change it soon or am I ok ?

I also had a minor scare today when I bought it home, it would not start. I tried jump starting it but that did not work, in the end I shifted it to the neutral and then put it back in Park it started right away. It seemed liked it was in park but not completed seated. Is that common in these trucks. I remember I had a 2003 Altima and it had the same problem. A little worried, hopefully it is nothing big cause I just bought it :), Thank For your help.

I am trying to add a picture but I think its it not showing.

Congrats. I'd just keep trying to play with the shifter. It will start in neutral too if the "park" position won't let it fire up.

Check/change all fluids and filters. Lube all drive shaft zerks. Change the heater hose "t" fittings by the firewall and just keep feeding it gas.

These rigs will reliably pile on miles with just the basic of maintenace.

I am trying to add a picture but I think its it not showing.
Congrats. I'd just keep trying to play with the shifter. It will start in neutral too if the "park" position won't let it fire up.

Check/change all fluids and filters. Lube all drive shaft zerks. Change the heater hose "t" fittings by the firewall and just keep feeding it gas.

These rigs will reliably pile on miles with just the basic of maintenace.

Is there a reason for the shifter not letting it start, and is it an easy fix. I am get a little anxious when firing it up, especially when I am out :)

I am not sure about the location of park neutral safety switch on the cruiser, but most toyota switches are located outside the tranmission, and can be removed to clean the interior copper contact points.

Check the shifter linkages.

Based on the record, you should probably redo the timing belt/water pump around the 180,000 or maybe 10k over, so you have about 15-25k before you should have to do it again. Congrats on your acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom