Needed: source for F carb studs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
Does anyone know of a substitute for the NLA studs for the F carb on a 70 FJ40?

Truck had a Weber on it before so original studs are gone. Haven't yet found a bolt store online with this pretty specific stud.

Bottom leg of the stud needs to be 12 mm deep, 8mm x 1.25 thread. Top part needs to be about 35-40 mm above the bottom portion, with the total length about 50 - 55 mm.

B3F6A8E5-39C3-4E12-8B14-A85B51032037.jpeg

Forget the studs and just use bolts if you can't find the right part.

I think they’re still available from Toyota. Obviously I could have shipped some with the carb. I have a box of about 80 of them.

In a pinch, I'd cut the head of an appropriate bolt, or seek out 8mm 'all-thread.' Remember, that 5/16 and 8mm can be improperly interchangeable so make sure that you have the right one.

Just stumbled on this thread, have you tried Toyota for these studs? I have not seen a "wanted" ad for these, Should have some factory used ones. PM if still needed. Reading your post a tried and true method to put a booster on an earlier cruiser is to remove the firewall rib, and put in swinging clutch and brake pedals from a 71-78 cruiser. Use a 71-75 booster and whichever carb you want. All toyota parts and no spacer.

@Vae Victus :

I found an available stud that works fine. I used 4 of these on my OEM carb replacement.

I just checked and it looks like the part no. is still available. If you want an 'identical' stud, you could cut off the top end of the stud, where the threads have been machined off.

In my search for replacement carburetor mounting studs, I came up with the part number 90116-08042:

This stud is the top one in the picture below. Note that the left end threads into the manifold. Also, the right end has about 5 mm of threads machined off. This projects up so that the nut for the right rear stud won't fit onto the stud unless it is slipped on while the carb is still off the base by a few mm.
The middle stud is an original one buffed clean, but with pitted threads.
The bottom one is also original, still loaded up with the aluminum threads out of my intake manifold.

View attachment 1282020

@Vae Victus :

If you decide to use these studs (current Toyota list price is $1.58 each) you will need to start the nut on the left front stud as you drop the carb onto the spacer. The following picture shows this new stud vs the original stud. As noted above, if you want to avoid this, you could cut the top 5 mm off of the new stud.

Just stumbled on this thread, have you tried Toyota for these studs? I have not seen a "wanted" ad for these, Should have some factory used ones. PM if still needed. Reading your post a tried and true method to put a booster on an earlier cruiser is to remove the firewall rib, and put in swinging clutch and brake pedals from a 71-78 cruiser. Use a 71-75 booster and whichever carb you want. All toyota parts and no spacer.

Smart approach. If I keep getting to :bang: :poop: :doh: :crybaby: then I'll give up and cut the rib.

Sounds like there are multiple options - even $OR, so I may not have to bother you for yours.

I haven't pulled out the PartsSouq list yet to see if a later year still has a valid available part from Toyota, but they are NLA for 1970.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom