Drivers floor carpet drenched when driving in rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from wet London! My beloved 1997 FJ80 seems to have sprung a leak when its rain. No sign of water if parked in rain (no obvious sunroof drain channels blocked) and no obvious poor windshield seal. But when driving if roads wet or raining carpet gets drenched ONLY by drivers feet. No obvious holes from under car. Any suggestions welcome as the dry summer is gone and rain ahead! Thanks PS And I should add no AC on or condensation-- carpets gets drenched if moving on wet road and then dries out if parked.

Check the seal around the steering shaft where it passes through the firewall. Most of them are shot and need to be replaced.
what kind of a job is that to do? Any guess how long? Tkx

Also check inside the wheel well (from outside) there's a boxed in bracket on the fire wall that the inner guard bits to. It can collect water and cause the firewall to rust out behind it.
Is difficult to see, but worth
2148865482_f6cbf33d90.jpg
checking out

For me, my sunroof will leak onto the driver's side floor making the carpet wet. Open up the sunroof and pour some water in the channel and make sure it drains outside, not in.

what kind of a job is that to do? Any guess how long? Tkx
I found it to.be about 1 hour if I have all my tools handy.

I also did the Pin 7, the rag joint, and removed my factory alarm while I was in there. Total for all that was 6 hours.

Doh! Thanks for the un-couragement!
I need to remove the alarm from mine. I'm worried it'll bail me up somewhere silly, keeps slipping to the bottom of the to-do list.

Mine was at the bittbo of the list until it decided to set of the alarm and lock up the ignition when I went out to pick up dinner for the family.

Fortunately, I had a couple small tools with me to disconnect a battery cable. I have never owned a FOB and had never used the alarm. As soon as I got home I started ripping it out. It was an RS3000 system.

***Bottom***

If you’re testing for leaks, remember to start from the bottom up. Once you identify it’s not the bottom of the windshield, work your way up until you get to the top making sure you don’t get any in the sunroof area. One you know it’s not that, hit the sunroof with the hose or a bottle of water in the drains.

My cruiser leaked at the top of the windshield on the passenger side. My e92 coupe was the sunroof drain. Both fixed very easily.

If you need to caulk your windshield, look up the “fire truck mod” here on mud.

If you need to snake your sunroof drains, use a speedometer cable from the auto parts store. $3.50 or so well spent.

Best of luck.

I had water running down a bundle of wires coming through the firewall and onto the floor inside. All I did was yank enough of it back through into the engine bay to create a drip loop and it's worked well so far.

I also did the Pin 7, the rag joint, and removed my factory alarm while I was in there. Total for all that was 6 hours.
I've found that it's well worth your time to remove the drivers seat, and fold back the second row seat when doing work under the dash. That way you can lay on your back or side while working under the dash. It's only 4 bolts, and a few wiring connectors to remove the drivers seat. Believe me, if you happen to be an old man your knees, and back will thank you.

I've found that it's well worth your time to remove the drivers seat, and fold back the second row seat when doing work under the dash. That way you can lay on your back or side while working under the dash. It's only 4 bolts, and a few wiring connectors to remove the drivers seat. Believe me, if you happen to be an old man your knees, and back will thank you.
Yep!
I removed the driver's seat, all of the dash parts below the steering column, including the steel reinforcement plate.
Oh yeah, I also reconfigured the OBD2 plug in Port so I could have my UltraGauge plugged in all the time and have my fuse cover installed. I also rerouted the wire to keep it behind the dash as much as possible without cutting holes.

I had some papers laying on my dash and i noticed they were wet. I have a leak around the windshield seal on the driverside. I am going to take to the glass shop to either get windshield pulled and new gasket or try and use some sealer to stop this before it gets bad.

Just discovered after pouring showers all day wet along front inside of car (between windshield and front window above where handle is). Here is a photo-- does this sound like plugged sunroof (it has one) drain then. Nothing visible in the channel blocking. As it happens service is booked tomorrow and inspection. I will instruct Toyota to clear and check the channel-- does compressed air also clear the drains? Thanks again from wet London

FJ80 leak.jpg

I had some papers laying on my dash and i noticed they were wet. I have a leak around the windshield seal on the driverside. I am going to take to the glass shop to either get windshield pulled and new gasket or try and use some sealer to stop this before it gets bad.

Make sure to read up on windshield resealing (windshield out with new gasket) around here because there’s a right way to do it and then there’s the way 99% of shops pull and place the windshield.

A new OEM gasket is needed with sealant. Anything less and you’ll be back. Time consuming, too, since they gotta clean the windshield on the way out.

If you wanna give it a shot yourself, look up the fire truck mod.

Best of luck.

Just discovered after pouring showers all day wet along front inside of car (between windshield and front window above where handle is). Here is a photo-- does this sound like plugged sunroof (it has one) drain then. Nothing visible in the channel blocking. As it happens service is booked tomorrow and inspection. I will instruct Toyota to clear and check the channel-- does compressed air also clear the drains? Thanks again from wet London

View attachment 1795814

Don’t use compressed air or you’ll be reattaching that drain hose. Buy some speedo cable and give it a whirl.

View attachment 1795814
Make sure to read up on windshield resealing (windshield out with new gasket) around here because there’s a right way to do it and then there’s the way 99% of shops pull and place the windshield.

A new OEM gasket is needed with sealant. Anything less and you’ll be back. Time consuming, too, since they gotta clean the windshield on the way out.

If you wanna give it a shot yourself, look up the fire truck mod.

Best of luck.
Put a small dia tubing and slide down the drain hole

Weedeater string is what I use for my sunroof drains. I park under some very sappy trees at the house, have to clean it out once a month or so in the summer.

thanks going to buy weed whacking cable tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom