Rear Differential Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just found out my rear diff is in serious need of a rebuild. My 60 is a 1987 with 195K miles running 31” tires on the stock 2f and tranny. What are my options? Any rebuild kits or rebuilt units available? This is definitely beyond my skill level, so I’m looking to the experts for help.

I have a 3:73 diff I just pulled to swap in a 4:11 fj62 diff. Good condition has 225k miles on it. I would be willing to sell it.

There is a vendor here on mud that sells rebuilt units that will be the easy button for sure as long as you can take the third member out yourself.

If you can pull the 3rd yourself just take it to any reputable gear shop and they can rebuild it. Nitro ring and pinion has a very good reputation. Shipping that to & from a rebuilder is going to be expensive, and IMO unnecessary.

Are you looking to install a limited slip or a locker or remain stock?

Cheapest option is sourcing a used front diff from a 60. Fronts are typically in pretty good shape since they don’t get used much. Then do the install yourself. It’s a pretty straightforward job. Two banana.

Appreciate all the recommendations. I will reply back once I have a definitive course of action.

JTU - PM me and we can discuss specifics.

There is a vendor here on mud that sells rebuilt units that will be the easy button for sure as long as you can take the third member out yourself.

Who? Since my truck is more about overlanding than hard crawling and really is my DD, would love to eventually put some 4.11s in it and get rid of the stock 3.73s.

JTU is a good guy and will shoot ya straight. I think a used “chunk” is the way to go, you can get a front one that will have very little actual usage in most cases and bolt right in the rear with no set up or install kits needed.

cruiser outfitters has built me two drop in diffs. they do a great job and it was way cheaper for me to send it to them from canada then it was for a local rebuild. curt and his shop knows their stuff and will make you exactly what you want. not all shops are familiar with toyota’s and though they really aren’t all that different than most diffs to rebuild i’ve had a few quite me really high because they probably think they’ll take longer to rebuild.

While you are at it, pick up a slide hammer and a bearing puller. As well as aluminum bearing installation kit (generic kit works fine)
and replace your axle shaft bearings and seals. Then it is just done.

While you are at it, pick up a slide hammer and a bearing puller. As well as aluminum bearing installation kit (generic kit works fine)
and replace your axle shaft bearings and seals. Then it is just done.
Aaaaahhhhh.... the sweet, sweet call of the "while your in there's"

Who? Since my truck is more about overlanding than hard crawling and really is my DD, would love to eventually put some 4.11s in it and get rid of the stock 3.73s.
I currently have 4.11, they are still not enough to pull a small trailer with my 33’s and desmogged 2f. When I overland my 60 weighs 6500-7000 pounds. I’m doing 65mph at 2100 rpms. So I have 4.11according to the calculator.
I’m going to be installing 4.88 which will give me an extra 800 rpms to play with.

So, I’d go with 4.88 out of the gate.

I currently have 4.11, they are still not enough to pull a small trailer with my 33’s and desmogged 2f. When I overland my 60 weighs 6500-7000 pounds. I’m doing 65mph at 2100 rpms. So I have 4.11according to the calculator.
I’m going to be installing 4.88 which will give me an extra 800 rpms to play with.

So, I’d go with 4.88 out of the gate.
That's much better than my 65mp at 2700+ rpms with my 31s.

That's much better than my 65mp at 2700+ rpms with my 31s.
What tranny do you have. Still a 4 speed? Never mind. I looked at you avatar and signature.
Helps to open ones eyes from time to time. Stock truck with a H55h will make a big difference.
Lower 1st gear and then 5th as an over drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom