Mountain Passes Off Road Sleeping Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my wife won the sleeping platform from GXOR give away last July at FJ Summit. She loves me so much that she donated this for me. I am not on Facebook since the FBI said it would invalidate my witness protection program:p

Steve Foltz from Mountain Passes Off Road design and build this sleeping platform for GX470.

The platform itself was made of 3 separate pieces. When joined together it make a flat sleeping surface with the back of the second row seat.

Impression:
  1. I never thought of sleeping in the back before but is seems comfy enough that I would give it a try in the near future.
  2. I really like the double deck design just for everyday use. It a lot easier to organize and pack stuff. Our CRV have second shelf and it's really handy.
  3. The fit and finish is really good.
  4. It does not rattle I the back of the truck
What I would improve:
  1. The bridge piece support that connect the third piece to the main platform are not attached. I would screw 1x1 aluminum angle to the frame and make the support piece more permanent.
  2. The third piece is totally separate. I would make the carpet one piece between the second and third piece so it would stay in place without any extra hinge.

Last edited:
Steve is just starting up. He only has a FB for his business to my knowledge.

Mountain Passes Off-road.

I will tell him to get in here when he gets back from Moab. He just did the Kokopelli.

Great review. Love the bear. Let me give a little background on this modification. It really serves two purposes. First, and foremost it works on a daily basis as a way of increasing storage organization and usefulness. For instance if you typically carry gear or perhaps a speaker or tools in the back of your GX it gives you a place to store things out of sight and also more safely. In a accident these heavy items are up against the seat and under the platform. This makes them less likely to become a projectile. You also can easily reach these items because the shelf is hinged for better access. Even while carrying things under 9.5" tall you still have a completely flat storage area for more stuff. I find this very helpful. In a trip you can store some small stuff under the shelf and still access it while larger stuff is up top not covered up by a bunch of clutter. I keep my tools/recovery gear in soft bags. No rattling and still organized. The second purpose is as a sleeping platform. This is the area that I find people have a lot of varying needs and desires. As a result I leave it somewhat open for easy modification or will customize it to people needs. The basic version you see here in this post is as a detachable shelf. Using three clips to hold it in place. This is the exact setup that I have used for years and the one that I recommend so that people can see how the item works and make changes to it to meet their specific needs. There are a lot of easy ways to change this setup at the end user level. For instance, I have seen people use hinges so that the sleeping part leans up agains the second row seats, or make it into a 60/40 split, or make the brackets more permanent. People will better understand what they want once they spend some time with the product. This is also why on every order I discuss the item with the buyer before completing the order. I never just build it and send it. This is a customizable item for each person if needed. I sell it as a bare frame for $325 + actual shipping ($50-60 usually) or carpeted (what you see here) for $450 + shipping of around $75 due to increased weight). I provide instructions on how to get the wood cut and how to carpet it as well as a long video to show it being done. A normal handy person can buy the $325 version and have Home Depot cut the wood and they do the carpeting. Best is to contact me and we discuss all this over the phone. Hope that helps you understand. Feel free to contact me with questions. Enjoy your platform. Glad you like it.

DSC_6989.JPG

Last edited:
Please delete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom