Differential oil action video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
Threads
Just watched a very interesting video by Gale Banks at Banks Power. They fabbed a clear diff cover so you can watch the action of the ring gear flinging the oil at different speeds. And he talks about custom cover designs and cooling and the level of diff oil in reference to axle tubes.

Video

I've always wondered what goes on in the "pumpkin". Also interesting how the diff oil foams and looks like it completely changes color. I know our 80 diffs are of different design with the 3rd member and all, but I think that the concept of the oil action is at least similar.

I watched these too. It is a pretty cool series and pretty awesome to see that someone is actually putting the resources into it and releasing the videos. I heard him say in one of the videos that they are approaching 5 weeks of studying and data logging. Like you I always kind of wondered how effective something like those oil slingers could actually be. It looks like very effective! lol

Yeah, at the end of this video, Gale talks about looking at the data for the study they're doing. For this video, they're analysing custom cover designs that give more diff oil capacity. But the squared off design of the expanded cover interupts the flow action of the ring gear and may have a negative effect on dispursement of the oil which lubes and cools the bearings and diff assy. Nice to know our Toyota 3rd member design, with no removable rear cover, the "channel" that guides the oil that the ring gear flings is set for original design efficiency. So the custom cover concern applies only to the semi-float rear ends of the early '91 & '92 rigs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom