Stumbling after De-veining Smog Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My smog pump locked up on me last night, so I yanked it out and pulled the veins out of it. All the bearings were fine, so I cleaned and greased everything then just reinstalled it until I can get a delete kit. I've got an interesting stumble under light load now, and cant figure out why. I didn't plug or remove and of the hoses going to the pump, figured they wren't serving any purpose but they're in tack so it's best to just keep them in place. I've searched around a bit and can't find anyone else with this issue, am I missing something here? I didn't disconnect or disturb any of the vacuum lines, and I verified everything is still hooked up, so i'm thinking that's out. Is leaving these hoses hooked up causing unwanted air/exhaust flow somewhere, possibly? Anyone else ever have this issue?

The engine doesn't care or know what's going on with the air pump. The stumbling isn't related to there now being no vanes in the pump.
Check carefully around the area you were working for accidentally disconnected wires or vac hoses.

The engine doesn't care or know what's going on with the air pump. The stumbling isn't related to there now being no vanes in the pump.
Check carefully around the area you were working for accidentally disconnected wires or vac hoses.

right, that's exactly what I thought, it's not like this thing has an ECU and needs to relearn anything. Any chance one of the check valves in the system is stuck and could cause this?

Conceivably a blown out check valve at the air injection manifold would allow a lot of exhaust gas back into the pump then back into the air cleaner.

Remove the big hose (smog pump hose) from the top driver's side of the air cleaner and verify that it's not blowing out exhaust when the engine is running. Might as well check the bypass hose on the other side of the air cleaner too.

If any air is blowing out of them, replace that check valve.

found it, the wire under this lack boot going to this sensor was disconnected. the boot hid it so all looked OK. reconnected it, seems to be just fine now.

Untitled by Jared, on Flickr

That's the decel vac switch that turns the ICS on/off when you let off the gas pedal - if the emissions computer is working correctly and VSS in the tach is working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom