Is your 80 your favorite vehicle? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Short answer, no.

Long answer: The 80 serves it's purpose and is a great all around truck, but doesn't do anything for me emotionally or "cool factor"-wise. It is a compromise between my desires and my wife's desires, which makes it the perfect adventure vehicle for us. It's also worthless with a twice salvaged title mis-matched panels and some rust, and I've spent a lot of money on it, so we're pretty well financially committed at this point :hillbilly:

My favorite will always be my first (not my pic, but same color, wrong hubcaps):
01.jpg

Followed by my rustbucket 60:
IMAG0008.jpg

Followed by my rustbucket mini truck:
IMG_1388.jpg

The one I regret selling the most (I occasionally hassle the current owner):
20150708_112449_resized_1-jpg.1752379

I've owned a ton of rice burners over the years (supra, subaru and a lot of hondas with various levels of built engines, race prep, etc), but this bone-stock 88 Civic Si was the best of the bunch. Talk about smiles per gallon. Just tooling around town was a blast:
23599460001_large.jpg

I don't regret selling any of them except the 62. The others, it was time to move on.

:edit: reading through this post, funny my 80 doesn't even make the top 5 :eek:

Last edited:
No, but it might end up there.

My favorite was a 1993 toyota sr5 pickup, 3.0v6, 4x4 extended cab 5 speed. Total chaos long travel, deaver f55 leaf pack(move all mounting points,12” shackles) and fiberglass fenders.

It just got a lot of attention and went nearly anywhere i pointed it due to travel. It just needed a locker, gears and a devent power plant but it wasa blast.

The 80 is the longest I have actually owned a particular car, my other love was my rare V12 Jaguar Coupe.

Two completely different animals!

Daves Coupe Front (0).JPG

Daves Coupe NSF (0) (0).JPG

Regards

Dave

Yes, I keep coming back to the 80 as a stable vehicle. Enough room to sleep in, seats too many people, can be rebuilt vs. throwing parts at it, can be driven through things I have no business driving through. Now having an 60, 80, and 100 series I can see how each one has its place. The 60 is old school bad a$$, 80 is just there, 100 is way too nice for me and has too many electronics. Single cab mini truck would be a very close second. Loved my step dad's mini truck back in the 90's.

Every car serves a different purpose but I can’t think of one that I have owned that does as many things well as my 80 does. Versatility and bang for my buck is the reason I sold my trailer queen and got into an 80 nearly 5 years ago.

As much as I love my 80 and revere what it is, being so much in one vehicle, I can’t honestly say it’s my favorite ever, but it comes very close to the two Dodge turbo diesels I have owned. If I were forced to reduce to one vehicle I would have to choose my dodge from a practical standpoint.

I love my 80 but I have had it for only 8 years. Wheeled my Piggy, FJ 55 for over 25 years,so it's in 1st place, even though I sold it.

For my current situation the 80 is definitely my favorite. I live out in the woods, lots of dirt roads, a lot of time exploring and taking road trips, 19 month old kiddo, my wife, the dog always in tow, snowy climate, ski trips, towing a firewood trailer, work from home so not commuting in it, etc...

upload_2018-9-21_9-40-8.png

It also works well as a drying rack after camping in the rain....

upload_2018-9-21_9-41-32.png

Umm dad, where's the locker switch?

upload_2018-9-21_9-42-38.png

upload_2018-9-21_9-45-16.png

A lot of time on roads like this....

upload_2018-9-21_9-46-13.png

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Because other rigs just didn't or can't hold a candle to the usefulness. Not just off road features, but it has the best heater and A/C of any rig I've owned. Tracks truer & more stable on ice and snow-packed roads at any speed than any rig I've driven. With the front ARB, fends off wildlife and gives more peace of mind driving the rural roads and country I live in. I seriously test drove a new '94 back in 1994 and reluctantly turned it back in vowing to myself - I'll own one of these someday. By seriously, I mean the dealership in Astoria, at the time, told me to take it for the day, keep it over night if you want! And by reluctantly, I mean at the time, I couldn't afford it. Finally about 1999, things worked out. The dealership in Bend, had my 80 to be - used, but pampered - mostly run on paved roads, settled for no factory lockers:(, 129K odometer and the green color I liked. Living in the Bend area, at the time and with my tastes and family activities and traveling, and even day to day around town chores it put the previous mini-van we owned to shame. With the 3rd row it actually legally hauled more bodies than the mini-van - 8 vs 7. But, to be totally honest, I had researched SUVs and other candidates even before test driving back in 1994. The 4 wheel disc brakes, E-locker option, solid front axle and FF rear axle and I was really taken by the looks, too. But, now the kids are grown, the wife divorced - empty nest and what remains - my trusty Land Cruiser. The 1st one I've owned. Almost bought a 40 back in 1977 in Salt Lake City, so it might be different if that had happened. From bought as stock to todays version, a work in progress.
012701C.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG

Last edited:
it's really a tie between my 80 ( and prior 40th build) and my C63 ....... utterly different but each unique in their placment within the peer group once modified.... together they fill the void of what TRIED to get my 200 build to be, fast and capable....

IMG_3109.JPG

it's really a tie between my 80 ( and prior 40th build) and my C63 ....... utterly different but each unique in their placment within the peer group once modified.... together they fill the void of what TRIED to get my 200 build to be, fast and capable....

View attachment 1794522

The 80 is the first vehicle I’ve owned that I intend to keep around for a long time. Unless I can swing a brabus 6x6, there’s really no other truck I want to drive. I am in love with its looks and timing in Toyota history and my life.

Like you I’m a bit of a dichotomy as an auto enthusiast. I’ll climb back into a 911 gt3 again, but in the meantime, I’m feeling quite satiated with my humble 2 car stable.

444F0167-8CB1-424E-88DD-88E57651C0D8.jpeg
D922B1E2-CD4F-4407-9CC9-E8B73341D8B7.jpeg

Short answer: it's complicated.

Thinking about it, in the past four years I've now logged more drive-time in our 80 than my Jeep and BMW combined. That's saying alot since my Jeep YJ is my "Baby" - my first girl and love with more memories per KM including a bunch that will NEVER be told.

View media item 75823
My BMW M5 was my dream car, my "I've made it when I can buy it" which I did several years working post-University.

My Jeep Wagoneer (RIP) was another dream purchase which we lost in a highway rollover - but we escaped with just scratches (praise Detroit Steel).

But our 80 ... what hasn't it let us do? Commuting to work - check. Off-roading - check. Road trips - check. Being fancy or getting dirty - check, check, check. Now that my kids are growing up our 80 is the vehicle they identify with as our 'family car'. They love going for open air rides in my Jeep as well as drives in the 'fancy car' M5 - but it's the 80 they opt for everyday.

So in that way, yes, our 80 is my favorite car. Because my kids love it most and I love my kids.

No, even though I have owned it longer than any other vehicle at this time.

I have a laundry list of vehicles I never should have sold, from my Galant VR4, my factory diesel K5 Blazer from New Mexico, my '82 3+3 Dually 6.2/SM465 on 19.5's, a twin turbo 12valve Cummins Dodge Ram 2500, and then there was my '85 4runner on 42's.

Currently in the fleet is this, which holds title of favorite, and has for 7 years.

IMG_20171021_152336_447.jpg

Land Cruisers are like kids....you are not supposed to have favorites, but sometimes favoritism is subtly expressed when you try to love them all equally. Can you tell which one might be my favorite??
618BD12B-702E-42F6-B1AA-09650DD8B486.jpeg

54EFEE41-8C12-49C5-A923-828DA5F00210.jpeg

065BAB70-F5CA-4A49-8BC8-F2EC1CDD446E.jpeg

C49F6536-64C5-453E-B93C-F9490A3E031D.jpeg

3C7D243F-E1F9-41A0-9963-2D280F3A316C.jpeg

However, when my 40 is restored back to some of its former glory....it may be a contender for my favorite.

Land Cruisers are like kids....you are not supposed to have favorites, but sometimes favoritism is subtly expressed when you try to love them all equally. Can you tell which one might be my favorite??
View attachment 1794572

View attachment 1794575
View attachment 1794573
View attachment 1794576

View attachment 1794574
However, when my 40 is restored back to some of its former glory....it may be a contender for my favorite.

Jen, I think your 80 series is your favorite (kid) ;)

60 is clearly getting the most attention. Would be if those were my trucks too :hillbilly:

Nope, no idea. Probably just need more clues :rofl:

View attachment 1794572

View attachment 1794575
View attachment 1794573
View attachment 1794576

View attachment 1794574

I love my 1997 80 3X locked. Overall I would rate it as my 3rd favorite vehicle behind my previously owned 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro and currently owned 1963 VW Deluxe Sunroof 23 Window Bus that I got in 1991. Nothing beats that! I could probably sell my bus and buy 4 or 5 fully equipped 80s

IMG_1661.jpg

Yep, there is not another vehicle I'd rather have than my work in progress '97. It checks all the boxes in what I want and need in 4 wheel and makes me want to plan 80 based adventures or just go out to explore town for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom