Falken AT3W -- P285/70R17 vs LT285/70R17 Load Range E (1 Viewer)

P285/70R17 vs LT285/70R17

• P285/70R17 -- mmmm lightweight and cushy ride

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • LT285/70R17 -- always more heavy duty!!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • LT285/75R17 -- bigger tires are bigger!!!

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings mudinites!

I've been in the process of dialing in the lift on my '98 100 series. I wound up going with the 865's, OME TB's, SPC UCA's, KOR Fab Diff Drop and Fox Shocks. :)

Anyways - I just so happened to come across a decent deal on the elusive and oh so exclusive Rock Warriors! EEEEK!

So am now faced with a new tire decision. Currently running Falken AT3W's in LT285/75R16 on the OEM wheels. That was my first mod - while I could tell this is a much heavier tire and it did effect the ride but it wasn't THAT bad. These tires weigh 61lbs with a max load of 3750lbs.

Now on 17" wheels however, Falken makes a P285/70R17 117L which weighs 50lbs with a max load of 2833lbs. The same tire in LT285/70R17 Load Range E weighs 59lbs with a max load of 3195lbs.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the P version - just curious if anyone had a reason I might regret it? Durability? Tread wear? Tread compound? I know less rotational weight is always better. Pretty much equals less stress on many components. Honestly if I were to go LT then I may just jump up to the LT285/75R17 - 33.8 incher weighing in at a whopping 65lbs!

What would you do? Go for the P-Rated tire for best on road manners? Or shoot up to the big boy tire? That is a 15lb weight difference per corner. Hmmmmmm. I do have a 3-4k mile road trip to Moab/Ouray coming up at the end of next month where I will be hitting plenty of trails. :cheers: (honeymoon trip yay!)

Thank you guys - I love this forum and it has been invaluable to search thru whenever I have a question. Yes, I read several threads on similar subjects before I was like ugh I've just got to post and see what I get.

That test pretty much spells it out. Though I wonder if the difference is that drastic when making the comparison with the exact same model tire? Would have been nice to see them use the AT/3 on all of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom