Builds Isuzu 4he1 in to 94 fzj80 build . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Iam starting off with a 2004 isuzu nqr with the 4he1 and aw450 trans . Planning on swapping tailshafts from the a442f and building or buying a transfercase spacer. Or atleast thats the plan so far..

To start off with i havnt pulled the isuzu yet but from what i have been reading and with the help of astr . I think this should go smoothly. Iam planning on doing all my mock up and tailshaft swap while in the truck for ease of acess. However as i also seen i will have a starter clearance issue witch i havnt seen a viable option yet. Any and all positive feed back is welcome.

Will you try for the front mount starter like ASTR?
not sure i am most likely going to build a custom clockable starter . Kind of a pain in the ass but at this point if i can get the trans and transfercase sorted out with relitive ease i dont mind makeing a custom starter.

well progress has been great i now have the swap ready for the 80 . the hybrid aw450 with a442f went smooth as glass . now two walls that i ran in to . i some how have to hybrid a harness for the aw450 i also have to use the isuzu tcm now my question is how in the hell am i going to do that ? iam guessing i can pull the harness from the isuzu and see where the tcm gets its power and signals from . from what i can gather the 80s tcm is simmler and same lay out just diffrent pin out and diffrent plugs on the trans end . as for the starter well i did find a 24 volt one thats more directly in line with the bell houseing hole my play is to try and swap the motors them selfs so i dont have to run a 24 volt start system . i will run dual batterys but onl for added starting power and useage .does anybody know if i can just swap the tcms and use the 80 harness and just change plugs ? or will i have to strip the isuzu harness down to just what the trans needs? also i found out that the diesel tps is on the pedal itself so iam wonderign if i can just mod the sensor to work on an 80s pedal ?

the truth is i need hands on help sombody thats good with asin tcms and systems . not out of my skill range just out of hands .

astr was correct the starter issue is a srious bitch . but i think if i can convert this 24 volt starter with 12 and work it in it wont be as intrusive as the current one witch means iam still going to have to BFH it a bit but hopefully not near as much i was also looking for air starters they are usualy low profile and easy to install but thats plan x where is iam at plan e . hahaha

I recently talked to compushift. They said they have a stand-alone controller for the AW450. So that’s an option too.

Well i did manage to pull the complete harness out of the isuzu truck as well so iam wondering if i can swap the pedal position sensor and then use the engine speed sensor with the tail shaft sensor? Not sure i need to talk with sombody thats more familar with the operations and harness .

Ok well heres an update . I fonally said f%%k it and called compushift and told them what iam doing . I need a wireing diagram for the aw450-43le to send them theu have the plug for a442f set up and i explained that these trans are almost identical just one haveing larger clutch packs and 2wd and that i converted it to 4wd for my transfercase t9 bolt up. The plugs on the 450 are diffrent than the cruisers round one. So now i may have to send them the shift position sensor and this diagram . They can hook me up with a tps witch is great . I really could use an expert to help me out on this . I would even pay for the help hands on.

Did you get the ECM or TCM? I can’t remember if they have separate ones in the Isuzu.

On the earlier NPR trucks - 4BD1/2's, they had separate TCM's. I can't help much, as I ran a 5 speed in my swap.

Interested to see how the starter location works out.

I just think if you’re running the engine and tranny that were mated, and have the harness; it’ll be easier to work with stock stuff than use a compushift.

Well i am looking in to both . However with compushift i can adjust shift point and such. Yesterday i started removeing the grill and radiator and core support on the 80. I am going to have to relocate a few things but not as bad as i first thought. Now for the starter i ordered a 24 volt one thays more direct drive style . Iam going to see about swaping the 24 volt motor its self with the 12 then run dual batterys. Should be more than enuf . It may not give me complete clearance but a hell of a lot more than the current starter.

20181023_133819.jpg

welll its in . not exactly where it needs to be yet and iam haveing to remove things for clearance . but its in .pics soon . however i ran across a problem or two. oil pan clearance to the pinion shaft is quite tite. and iam going to need mounts . not sure exactly where yet but the driver side mainly . gona need help on this one .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom