Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the new fuel pump today and cleaned EVERYTHING. Blew out and cleaned the lines as well.

20180918_152609.jpg

Decided to pop open the old fuel pump just to see what was inside. Glad I did. Check out all of that gunk!
20180918_110231.jpg

Definitely the reason for my problems!

By the way... Are there rebuild kits for the old pumps? Wouldn't mind cleaning this one up and rebuilding it to have a spare just in case .

Also pulled apart the carb today and found that my accel pump was pretty sticky and the idle circuit was indeed blocked by those white crystals.

Still waiting on my rebuild kit, but not too worried about being able to put this back together. There's maybe 5 parts. Got some dip and will probably let that go overnight.

20180918_153648.jpg

The first models in a new concept of limited-edition special series called ‘Icona’
The Ferrari Monza SP1 and SP2 unveiled

Shares jumped yesterday 4,16 % close $138.32
52 Week Range 103.65 - 149.85
"52 week high and low prices reached in today's trading session. Chg and % Chg - change and percentage change are calculated from the previous trading session."

Before hours: Sep 19, 2018 9:01 a.m -0.94%

Last edited:
Okay carb dip overnight cleaned things up nicely.

20180919_095443.jpg

Still waiting on the rebuild kit so getting it running will have to wait.

I did start routing wires for the audio system though! Here's what I got.

This is the Bluetooth unit/controller. It's 2 channel 600W. Has aux hookups as well which is nice.
20180919_104233.jpg

Need to figure out a different bracket for speaker mounts because these are designed for motorcycle handlebars .

20180919_110459.jpg

This is the volume control knob.

20180919_104257.jpg

Here it is in the dash with the power pull knob beside it. Best part is these holes were already in the dash!

Probably going to paint that volume knob black so it fits in a little better.

20180919_110003.jpg

Might finish the wiring up later this evening and test it out.

This guy used a record player ....great....

160604151322-10-ali-at-home---restricted-super-169.jpeg

... I´m singing even in the rain.
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo...
I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart...

Last edited:
a] who is that??
b] has it been highway tested?
c] can you run two amp things so you can have four speakers?
d] can you run any speakers?

a] who is that??
b] has it been highway tested?
c] can you run two amp things so you can have four speakers?
d] can you run any speakers?

A). Uncle Tupelo's cover of Iggy Pop's "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

B). Not yet. Truck's not running at the moment, but I can't actually put it up to full volume without making my ears bleed, so i think it will be fine on the highway.

C). The 4 channel version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014JCWC1Y/ref=twister_B07CDRJTDD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

D). I think you can run any 4ohm speakers. There doesn't appear to be anything proprietary about them. The ones they came with work/sound fine though

Why not a vintage black knob?
Just an example.
Porsche 356 tulip knobs.

Blaupunkt Radios for 356 Porsches

I might make something like that eventually, but the volume control is integrated into the unit, so I didn't want to mess with wiring up a different control. I'll have to make a knob that works with the existing control.

Your blood is worth bottling mate! For so long I have avoided installing a modern stereo in my old truck. So glad you did this and posted a video! :beer::beer::beer:

FJC Mtneer asked me for some history of the Maytag. Here's my story:

Forty Two Years of the Maytag

I bought my 1967 FJ45 from the original owner in 1976. I was staying with a friend near Scio, Oregon and hauling silage for the dairy where he worked. I’d had an older FJ40 briefly, but it needed too much work for my budget. I still scanned the want ads for Landcruisers, and when I saw this one I called right away.

The owners had bought it new in Hermiston, put a Lode Liner canopy on the back, and used the truck for hunting and camping in NE Oregon. They had retired to Independence, a small Willamette Valley town not far from Scio. I went to see it and bought it right away for $1900 that I didn’t really have.

The white truck, as I called it then, became my daily driver. I drove it up and down I-5 between Portland and Eugene more times than I can remember, hauled my skiis to the edges of clearcuts in the Cascades, and made the long run out to Harney County to cruise the gravel roads around Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert.

On one of those trips, this one with a college friend who had an old Land Rover, we parked our rigs on crest of a sand dune overlooking Harney Lake, rigged some tarps off the cabs for shade, and drank beer. Back then Denzel & Nancy Ferguson, the director of the Malheur Field Station and his wife, kept a stack of Olympia beer shortcases in their garage. We’d stopped in to resupply, and Denzel dryly commented that he’d seen, “that ****ing Maytag parked on the dunes.” The name stuck.

I worked as carpenter for years, and the Maytag carried tools and lumber. We slept in the back on camping trips, moved our friends, and used the four-wheel drive during Portland’s occasional ice storms. When I started having kids, I bought a ’71 FJ55 so we’d all fit, and the Maytag sat in the driveway unless there was hauling to be done.

When I started my olive oil business in 1999 I used it for the canopy, tables, and oil to sell at the farmers market. But someone had stolen the Lode Liner (I took it off to move and left it on the street overnight), and, if it looked like rain, I had to load up in the wee hours before the market opened. I bought an old vanagon for olive oil deliveries, and the Maytag spent even more time in the driveway.

After a while it seemed like I’d start it just to drive to the shop (Willamette Boulevard Service Center has worked on it from the beginning). We were about to start some remodeling that required the full use of the driveway including the truck’s parking spot. I used to joke that I’d be buried in it, but I eventually realized the Maytag deserved an owner who’d drive it, and I reluctantly put a ‘for sale’ sign in the window.

Ads on Craigslist and Facebook got a few calls, but nobody really serious. And I wasn’t really working too hard to sell it. But I eventually stumbled onto IH8MUD, opened a thread, and found the perfect new owner. I hope he'll enjoy the Maytag for another 40 years.

Priceless!

FJC Mtneer asked me for some history of the Maytag. Here's my story:...

....When I started my olive oil business in 1999 I used it for the canopy, tables, and oil to sell at the farmers market. But someone had stolen the Lode Liner (I took it off to move and left it on the street overnight), and, if it looked like rain, I had to load up in the wee hours before the market opened. I bought an old vanagon for olive oil deliveries, and the Maytag spent even more time in the driveway.

Interesting story, do you have some old pictures with your gone 45can & your olive oil business ?
Do you have olive trees (plantation) and an oil mill ?... we use olive oil a lot not for cars more for cooking....:)
Quick search & I found an article about olive oil business in Orgegon.
PDX31_FOOD_Oregon-Olive-Mill_Image-3_fitbox_806x506.jpg

Oregon Olive Mill: From Tree to Table

Last edited:
FJC Mtneer asked me for some history of the Maytag. Here's my story:

Forty Two Years of the Maytag

I bought my 1967 FJ45 from the original owner in 1976. I was staying with a friend near Scio, Oregon and hauling silage for the dairy where he worked. I’d had an older FJ40 briefly, but it needed too much work for my budget. I still scanned the want ads for Landcruisers, and when I saw this one I called right away.

The owners had bought it new in Hermiston, put a Lode Liner canopy on the back, and used the truck for hunting and camping in NE Oregon. They had retired to Independence, a small Willamette Valley town not far from Scio. I went to see it and bought it right away for $1900 that I didn’t really have.

The white truck, as I called it then, became my daily driver. I drove it up and down I-5 between Portland and Eugene more times than I can remember, hauled my skiis to the edges of clearcuts in the Cascades, and made the long run out to Harney County to cruise the gravel roads around Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert.

On one of those trips, this one with a college friend who had an old Land Rover, we parked our rigs on crest of a sand dune overlooking Harney Lake, rigged some tarps off the cabs for shade, and drank beer. Back then Denzel & Nancy Ferguson, the director of the Malheur Field Station and his wife, kept a stack of Olympia beer shortcases in their garage. We’d stopped in to resupply, and Denzel dryly commented that he’d seen, “that f***ing Maytag parked on the dunes.” The name stuck.

I worked as carpenter for years, and the Maytag carried tools and lumber. We slept in the back on camping trips, moved our friends, and used the four-wheel drive during Portland’s occasional ice storms. When I started having kids, I bought a ’71 FJ55 so we’d all fit, and the Maytag sat in the driveway unless there was hauling to be done.

When I started my olive oil business in 1999 I used it for the canopy, tables, and oil to sell at the farmers market. But someone had stolen the Lode Liner (I took it off to move and left it on the street overnight), and, if it looked like rain, I had to load up in the wee hours before the market opened. I bought an old vanagon for olive oil deliveries, and the Maytag spent even more time in the driveway.

After a while it seemed like I’d start it just to drive to the shop (Willamette Boulevard Service Center has worked on it from the beginning). We were about to start some remodeling that required the full use of the driveway including the truck’s parking spot. I used to joke that I’d be buried in it, but I eventually realized the Maytag deserved an owner who’d drive it, and I reluctantly put a ‘for sale’ sign in the window.

Ads on Craigslist and Facebook got a few calls, but nobody really serious. And I wasn’t really working too hard to sell it. But I eventually stumbled onto IH8MUD, opened a thread, and found the perfect new owner. I hope he'll enjoy the Maytag for another 40 years.
Amazing story and history. I wish I knew the history of my 45. Forgive my naivety, but what is a Maytag?

Interesting story, do you have some old pictures with your gone 45can & your olive oil business ?
Do you have olive trees (plantation) and an oil mill ?... we use olive oil a lot not for cars more for cooking....:)

I'll add a shot of the Maytag below, but you can read about my olive oil business on my web site here:

How I Stumbled Into the Olive Oil Business

There were a few folks at the farmers market who appreciated old trucks and always commented on it when I was there, but it wasn't very practical. I don't grow olives myself but buy the oil directly from the farmers and producers in Italy and California. The folks at the Oregon Olive Mill are trying to find olive varietals that will produce a commercial crop here. They're not too successful, but they trade milling services for olives grown in northern California to make good oil, although it is expensive. Since olive oil is something I think we should be using every day, I try to keep my prices affordable.

But this is a forum about Landcruisers.....

landcruiser, trailer, yurt.jpg

This is on our property at the east end of the Columbia River Gorge near The Dalles, Oregon. The yurt is gone, a victim of the high winds in the area, but I built a little shack we can stay in whle we're there.

Thank you, Sir.
What you need if you don`t have is a noodle machine not an electric one... this.
Ampia Noodle Machine
you can sell them in your shop too
Tomorrow we are cooking
White Asparagus wrapped in Crêpes with Sauce Hollandaise - eat in my kitchen
A german recipe from the south west.
At the moment the white asparagus is coming from Peru it`s a seasonal vegatable.
In Germany the asparagus season is about mid-April to the end of June. Traditionally season’s end is June 24.
Cheers... may be you can sell some fresh asparagus too include the recipe :)

... forgotten ... best crepe pan we use such a pan since more than 30 years.
De Buyer Blue Steel French Crepe Pan | Bespoke Post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom