First water crossing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...was an adventure. You never know how capable a land cruiser is until you need it. Long story a little less long, my buddies house was at the end of a long road flooded by hurricane Florence. I watched a Jeep go, so I followed. Next day, the water was deeper! Proud to say my truck made it. One ripple, or water an inch higher, and we might have had a different outcome... truck is stock except for taller bfg tires and suspension on high setting. No water intrusion in cabin.

Let me know if the link doesn’t work. Next step is to give the undercarriage a good cleaning and check dif fluids for water.

can't see it, making us login, upload it to YouTube

It’s on instagram- chrisrichard_s

WOW. Looks DEEP

I had leaves and debris up to and around the front Lexus badge.

Damn. I would never have guessed you could pull that off stock. Now I feel like a wuss for going around some of the roads out our way during the storm.

i mean, when I pan to the side, it looks like the water isn't much above the wheel wells. I think that bow wave is critical for keeping momentum.

I think your probably good up to about the door handles, then you'll start to see water. I've been just up to them, *maybe a hand below, with no issues, not sure I want to go deeper, even now with a snorkel, that's really just insurance for any washouts you find.

Last edited:
That looks pretty deep. I assume just over the rockers? I have a favorite water crossing here in Central TX that's actually a river crossing approximately 350 yards across with depth varying depending on season. Been as low as hub depth and as high as just over the rockers. So fun :)

IMG_0540.JPG

That looks pretty deep. I assume just over the rockers? I have a favorite water crossing here in Central TX that's actually a river crossing approximately 350 yards across with depth varying depending on season. Been as low as hub depth and as high as just over the rockers. So fun :)

View attachment 1793733

I wish I had somebody outside filming what it looked like from the exterior. That video was from the second day, and the water level was higher, despite a giant diesel sump pump running all night.

I always thought snorkels were for posers, but now I want one, bad.

I wish I had somebody outside filming what it looked like from the exterior. That video was from the second day, and the water level was higher, despite a giant diesel sump pump running all night.

I always thought snorkels were for posers, but now I want one, bad.

Extend your dif breathers first. I think those are way more important than the snorkel. I typically cross water that is above the axles. The factory breathers don't extend to far above that. By extending them up onto the firewall, the likelihood of water getting into my difs and transfer case is highly unlikely. The snorkel I have is really more for cooler/cleaner air getting to the engine.

Wow that water was deep! Nice job keeping the bow wave up.

I had a little flooded road crossing too, it started shallow then dip down to maybe where the sliders were. It's fun because it's rushing water from top of the hill down, pushing the cruiser sideways. The Scion TC at the end hydrolocked, i tried to stop by and help him but he's going to need a tow truck and a new engine.

Very nice. Looks like you had fun.

The air intake for the 100 is behind the passenger front wheel. It then runs through the fender to the air filter.
As long as you have a nice bow wake you can wade to about the bottom of the hood.
Raised air intakes are for dust, not water, unless on a diesel and even then when made water tight.
Unless you are going to wade everyday, no need for extended axle breathers, just check your fluids for water ingress after a day or two. Change if needed. Don't forget to check the transmission and t-case too.

I waded my Land Rover constantly, only got water in the rear diff once, and that was from a leaking pinion seal which was leaking because the axle breather was clogged.
No raised air intake. Sometimes water would be hitting the bottom of the windshield. That is a pucker factor right there.

The trick to wading is to keep moving, not to fast because there is a lot of pressure you're fighting and you can break things, like push your radiator back into the fan.
Ideally you want to cover the grill with a tarp, this keeps water from going through the fins of the radiator and onto the fan to be sprayed all over the engine.
The bow wake creates a cavity under the front of the truck effectively keeping it dry.
If your u-joints are greased with cheap grease it will wash out and they will need to be re-greased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom