Pedal Commander or other throttle controller thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
One of the very few things that bugs me about the 16+ Land Cruiser is the throttle mapping which I think is far too lazy and slow. I end up getting worse gas mileage than I would with a more aggressive map because I'm into the gas pedal more than I'd prefer. My 08 LX is on the other end of the spectrum where it's almost jumpy because it's so sensitive/aggressive which I much prefer. I am thinking about trying out the Pedal Commander module, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried it. I see only one post on it about 4 years ago in passing, but that guy was running it on a diesel.

The PC27 module appears correct for the Land Cruiser even though they don't specifically mention the 5.7 gas engine under the drop down. The PC27 appears to work for most Toyota models including the Sequoia / Tundra 5.7 and the Land Cruiser 4.7 as well as a bunch of others. They have a 30 day guarantee, so I think I'll give it a shot.

Pedal Commander - Throttle Response Controller

https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Comman...37398177&sr=1-5&keywords=pedal+commander+pc27

What about power mode on the transmission?

I assume you won’t be using Eco mode:bounce:

Can you adjust the TPS via Techstream?

I assume you won’t be using Eco mode:bounce:

Eco mode is a farce! 7k pound trucks with an old school V8 shouldn’t even have an eco button IMO.

Can you adjust the TPS via Techstream?

No idea, but I don’t want to take the risk of messing with Techstream and changing settings to the software (and I don’t have access to it either). The Pedal Commander sits between the gas pedal and the truck’s computer to essentially change the behavior of the pedal, and it’s completely reversable if you remove the module. It’s not a tuner or anything so it only affects the sensitivity of the pedal which is what I’m after. If you floor it right now, it responds how you’d expect, but in day to day driving the mapping is just far too lazy. The exacerbating factor is the 8 speed transmission which wants to shift up early as well, so laggy throttle response and being in a gear or 3 higher than you want makes it feel unnaturally slow.

Interesting that you find the pedal slow, even in ETC Power :steer:. I think this will give you what you want, if a more aggressive throttle pedal maps is what you're looking for. Should work fine if it's been proven on other Toyota platforms as the architectures and systems are largely shared.

I find ETC Power without trailer in tow to be jumpy. But that's just me and my preference. Personally having tuned many cars, I find the aggressive throttle maps most tuners put in to be overly aggressive. It's especially true on 600+ hp cars where they become harder to modulate. But that's not this vehicle, where mass dampens the reactions. It may work better for your needs.

My buddy has a pedal commander on his 14 raptor. I was so impressed with it, I've been trying to justify the cost for the LC. Its sweet. In the highest setting, it will light the tires up with even the slightest throttle application.

@mcgaskins i have been wanting to know about here for my 100.

I’d like to know your opinion on if it’s worth it or not. I think for your use on the 8speed transmission you would like it.

Went ahead and placed the order, so I'll be installing on Saturday afternoon.

How, if at all, do you think this will affect the transmission's "learning" your driving style? And, are you going to reset the transmission learning to date (disconnect the battery for >30 seconds) before you start using it?

TIA

How, if at all, do you think this will affect the transmission's "learning" your driving style? And, are you going to reset the transmission learning to date (disconnect the battery for >30 seconds) before you start using it?

TIA

No idea TBH. I'll definitely disconnect the battery for a while during the install and after it's plugged in to ensure it's fully powered down. Looking forward to seeing the difference it makes!

You can’t really compare the 09 LX with the 16 LC because they have extremely different throttle maps and transmissions. I rarely have my LX in power mode, but even when my 16 was totally stock (a good week or so lol) it was never out of power mode. Driving the 2 back to back is extremely telling, and I realize I have a unique perspective because of having both in the driveway.

How are they different and how confident are you it’s not just the 6 vs 8 speed transmission?

I believe this product works in S mode so transmission learning is disabled.

Having gone through the same issues with trans mapping on a Tacoma, I can say I would definitely prefer a custom TCU/ECU tune and remap, but that is a time/labor intensive process.

TIA

Matt and I have discussed this and, yeah, we don't know. That said, if what's effectively being modified is TPS voltage so less pedal travel equates to greater throttle input, I'm not sure what difference it really makes. The trans controller will just think he's pressing the pedal down further, RPMs should be be higher, so it should hold gear longer? All a guess.

I don't love the 8 spd throttle mapping as I don't find it linear enough, and I think this could all be remedied by more transmission control that simply allowed the vehicle to hold 1st and 2nd gear longer even with the current mapping. That said, not an option, so hopefully this will be another method to provide an adequate solution. All I know is around town, his 6 spd truck is much more enjoyable. Once to highway speed, the 8 spd is fine.

Have any of you tried to get this TSB performed on your 16-17 200s and did it help?
upload_2018-9-20_22-17-31.png

Have any of you tried to get this TSB performed on your 16-17 200s and did it help?
View attachment 1794266

I had the update done, and it made the transmission shift smoother but i feel like it’s actually contributing to the slow pedal response. It felt to me like it had much better response before the update.

Installed it today, and it works great. Greatly reduces the lag in throttle response and installed easily and quickly. I think it’s well worth the cost for the 16+ LC, but the 16+ LX already has a ton of adjustment with respect to drive modes so no need there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom