Replace AC Evaporator - Expansion Valve - Receiver Drier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First a big thanks to @Ohiolc100 and @flintknapper for their valuable knowledge.

I will start off that this is my first time doing this and i took pics along the way so that others can benefit. As im not an expert in auto refrigeration this will not have in depth instructions but more of an overview of my progress. This was a :banana::banana::banana: job and anyone with basic tools will be able to do this. All the important tools are available for rent or purchase. I rented mine at AutoZone.

Tool Rental:
Vacuum Pump $160
AC Gauge $100
Leak Detection Kit/Light $100

Parts:
4Seasons Evaporator # 54941 $79
4Seasons Expansion Valve # 758888 $32
4Seasons Receiver/Dryer # 3605 $19
R134a x3 ea. $8
Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil 1qt: $15
O-Ring Kit: $7
Cork Tape: $15

Before beginning you should have evacuated the system and it should be free of R134a.

I did not do it in these steps but if i were to do it again this would be the way to go.

Start by un-clipping these plastic connectors. I used a dart tip to push down but any sharp object will work. Remove the metal cover, two alen screws and rubber plug.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

The o-rings looked dry on one side and i covered the lines to keep dirt out.

IMG_0253.JPG

Last edited:
To the left of B there is a little indented line. Use a blade to cut thru. Remove the screw and bend the metal towards you. I used the same metal to hold the plastic. This will give you enough clearance to pull the evap straight out.

Remove the screws on the evap cover and unplug all connectors on evap cover.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

Pull the evap straight out. If there is pressure still you will get oil spray. In my case it was oil and the green dye i used to try and locate the leak.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Clean it all up including the expansion vale and all mating surfaces.

IMG_0263.JPG

Last edited:
Get it nice and clean. Clip the evap cable back on, connect the evap to the intake tubes and screw in. I used a little anti cease on the alen screws. Wrap the tape around the evap. Putting the evap back in with all connections was easy, you wont damage anything if careful.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

Last edited:
To replace the receiver/dryer just look under the condensor in front of the radiator. There is a 10mm alen head. Remove it and you will see a plastic filter and the desiccant tube. You may need to use long needle nose pliers and in a twisting motion to pull it out. Dont forget to add oil to the o-rings here also.

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

Last edited:
A few notes:

I didnt take a pic but you may need to remove a little bit of foam from the front of the evap when putting the cover back on. After i screwed it in, i had water dripping on floor because the cover did not close completely. Something to be aware of this happens to you.

Also use PAG 46 oil on ALL o-rings and where o-rings will mate. This will make it easier to connect the mating surfaces and help preserve the o-rings.

The amount of R134a to use is listed in the engine bay in front of radiator. I used 2.5 - 2.75 cans and my pressure is 35 on Low side and 225 High side. I will not go into detail about the correct amounts to use or how to add R134a as there is enough info on the web to help you. Also, im no expert to help with this.

Last edited:
Tool rental prices. You get a full refund when returned.

Reactions: Dox
Great work man, will be referring to this when i do mine.

Now if only someone can provide step by step instructions/tips on how to replace those pesky exhaust manifolds

@bucfl thanks for the great write up - question for you - I believe there is a 2nd expansion valve connected to a smaller evaporator in the rear of the vehicle as well. Is there any reason why you didn’t replace that expansion valve as well?

Great writeup and great job. Fixing AC problems is one thing that launched me into Auto repair initialy. working AC is a MUST where i live.
My only commnent is that I wouldn't be doing all that work and using Rockauto chinese parts, i've had too many instaces of having to do it twice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom