What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (67 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can I just pull the front trim piece off with the glass in?

The side pieces of interior sunroof trim overlap about 1/4" of the ends of the front/rear pieces of trim, so it would be pretty much impossible to remove just the front piece with the side pieces still in place. In my case, all the metal clips (on the back of the trim) broke off when I tried to remove the trim and it was necessary to remove the glass to get those clips out.

The glass removal is really not that hard. Remove 3 nuts each side (located under the side trim pieces) and the glass just lifts out from the top. After the nuts are removed use the tilt function to raise the back edge of the glass so you can get your hand under it to lift it out. Notice the orientation/placement of any shims between the glass and the mounting brackets, and just reassemble the same way when you are done.

As I've found with most repairs on the 80, it is not nearly as intimidating a job once you actually dig in and do it :).

After 3+ years of having my teenage son ask EVERY time he got in the LX, “When are you going to fix the cracked sunroof trim?” :bang:, I finally got around to doing something about it. Additionally, the rubber gasket on the glass was torn from years of rubbing on the port installed roof rack. It leaked, and the glass rattled and squeaked constantly.

I picked up a replacement glass with a good gasket from a MUD member on the West coast and he shipped it to NJ ($100 delivered). This gasket, though intact, was 20 years old as well. Not having an inner tube to cut a strip from and perform the traditional gasket fix, I looked around the shop for something of similar dimension that might work. I settled on extra long zip ties cut down to fit between the gasket and the metal frame. Clipping the heads and the ends off, they seem to fit well and seal the gasket tight against the truck. The gasket was also treated to a liberal application of Gummi Pflege Stift as well.

My tan interior trim was faded, cracked, and brittle. The slightest pressure and it all shattered in a dozen pieces..., there was no hope of saving it. Tan trim is no longer available, but I was able to get all 4 pieces new in gray delivered to my door for $110. (PartSouq). UAE to NJ in 3 days FedEx :clap:. DupliColor makes an upholstery/vinyl spray paint that is a pretty close match to the original tan (HVP108 Desert Sand). I painted the gray trim tan, swapped the glass, cleaned/lubed all moving parts in the tilt/slide mechanism, installed the new trim, and it looks and works great.

For less than $250, I essentially have a new looking and functioning sunroof. No leaks, no rattles, no squeaks, no wind whistles on the highway, and when I ran through the power car wash today there were no leaks, even with the jets aiming right at the gasket.

I love my sunroof, and use it almost daily..., but even if I hated it, it would have cost me more than $250 to have it removed and welded shut. This was money well spent IMO.

View attachment 1791825

And finally, the REALLY BIG repair of the weekend was replacing the fuel door spring. Simple, but a PITA at the same time. Don't knock the simpleness of the repair 'till you try it :).

View attachment 1791828
oh man good call, I got door trim from @beno and its also grey so this works AND I need to redo sunroof trim as well.

The side pieces of interior sunroof trim overlap about 1/4" of the ends of the front/rear pieces of trim, so it would be pretty much impossible to remove just the front piece with the side pieces still in place. In my case, all the metal clips (on the back of the trim) broke off when I tried to remove the trim and it was necessary to remove the glass to get those clips out.

The glass removal is really not that hard. Remove 3 nuts each side (located under the side trim pieces) and the glass just lifts out from the top. After the nuts are removed use the tilt function to raise the back edge of the glass so you can get your hand under it to lift it out. Notice the orientation/placement of any shims between the glass and the mounting brackets, and just reassemble the same way when you are done.

As I've found with most repairs on the 80, it is not nearly as intimidating a job once you actually dig in and do it :).
While you're at it, check the rollers that the track mechanism rides on. I've read that they are nylon and flatten out from wear. Others have reported rotating them around and sliding on the round end. Haven't tried it myself but my sunroof rattles up and down, typically about 200 feet or so behind a semi-truck and trailer. The wind buffeting just vibrates it. I want to fix it one day but know I'm going to destroy that trim. Need to get the tan dye and trim pieces first!

Sitting at a construction one way. ****er “forgot to put his brake on” and rolled back in to me. I had left room to get out but couldn’t make it so I sat and watched it happen. ****ing idiot!

View attachment 1791492
You need an ARB bullbar. You'd have escaped with a beauty scratch!:hmm:

Oh I know what your talking about. My set up is pretty tight on and off plus Id have to get a HD panahrd as mnes adj
I don’t know what hd panhard is, but a original or adjustable works fine

Those damn truck drivers! Buncha retards!

Dude had to be 75 years old. Ugh.

You need an ARB bullbar. You'd have escaped with a beauty scratch!:hmm:

A dump truck with a second trailer. Filled with rock. Had to weigh 60k lbs. would’ve pushed the arb in to the grill and fenders. This wasn’t a roo!

Haha. I actually wasn’t. Construction zone stop light. 3’ drop about 10’ ahead of me. Car right behind me. Oncoming traffic. Sucked.

Explored northern Arizona, went to school, and did some shooting.
20180918_172912.jpg
20180918_194344.jpg
20180918_200708.jpg
20180913_194316.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom