Need Help Identifying What this 40 is (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at purchasing this 40 but having trouble identifying what it actually is and where it may have come from.
Says it is a 1980 FJ40, it has a carberated engine, it has a KM gague cluster, 4 speed?? ...
Was this a Canadian or South America build? Could that possibly be the original engine? Any help identifying what this curuiser currantly is and what it may have at one time been would be greatly appreciated.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Agree.. lack of heater, LHD, and lift hatch.. Probably drum brake too.

X2 with @Mace
also no rollbar

X3 and notice the vin... looks hand stamped by a 5 year old. Looks fishy to me but maybe they did that in S America ??

Another thing I have seen on FJ40's from south of the border, those rubber bumper things on the front bumper. Usually on the rear bumperettes also.

And bondo.. lots of bondo..

Didn't see anyone mention the knob on the glovebox door is 8/80 and newer. The steering wheel is from a 60 series which is too bad since those are more common here than 8/80+ 40 series. Also 8/80 VIN would be 327XXX and 11/84 372XXX. The on this one is well beyond that number. Could have a split transfer case and rear axle with hand brakes. But think the negatives might out weight the pluses

Didn't see anyone mention the knob on the glovebox door is 8/80 and newer. The steering wheel is from a 60 series which is too bad since those are more common here than 8/80+ 40 series. Also 8/80 VIN would be 327XXX and 11/84 372XXX. The on this one is well beyond that number. Could have a split transfer case and rear axle with hand brakes. But think the negatives might out weight the pluses

It has a 1974 era body style hard top & a 1/79-later front Bib , the Tub is also late Model due to the firewall wall Oval shape wire harness Grommet

But it has Wing / vent Windows ?

This is the Latest / Newest DATA ID plate that I know of , It was a Colombian Import , The production Month was

based off the engine serial # The Owner had All the legit paperwork for the Colombian MVA / DmV Government that stated it

was a 1984

DSCN4441.JPG

Last edited:
It has a 1974 era body style hard top & a 1/79-later front Bib , the Tub is also late Model due to the firewall wall Oval shape wire harness Grommet

But it has Wing / vent Windows ?

Don't be confused by the top. The ambulance only post 74 was a US market but not necessary all markets. Some markets continued with that style top well after 74. US market was one of few markets where the door vent windows were dropped in 75.

And some of us have added a hatch to an ‘81 top

As for the data plate, there has been a thread on a Venezuelan FJ70 (yes, I know, not a 40) that was factory assembled from parts in Venezuela. It had a hand-stamped VIN plate much like this one.

Does anyone have experience with other Central or South American rigs and their data plate stampings?

Not Canadian (or American)... heaters and defrost are a legal requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom