2003 LC Navigation/Heating swap. Anything new out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last i looked ,there wasn't many options to replace this system. Is that still true? Is there a factory replacement? I would love to change the whole set up with a backup camera and dash board CD player vs the 5 disc hiding in the arm tray. If i decide to keep this car i almost don't care how expensive it is. I know its tricky with the heating/cooling attached to the audio/Nav.

I just investigated this pretty extensively and determined it was damn near impossible (difficulty, parts availability, lousy android aftermarket plug-n-play options). I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it appears to be pretty rough.

This adds a backup camera: Video Interface - RGB-LEX+ - NAV-TV. Kind of pricey.

And this for adding a TON of capability by phone: Select Lexus GX470 2003-2004 VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface. (This is the one for my 2003 LX—yours may differ slightly). There's a thread out there somewhere on the Grom with the +/- of using it.

But nothing to add an in-dash CD without a ton of work. I'm thinking about both of the options above, but some unscheduled front end work has me holding back for now.

This adds a backup camera: Video Interface - RGB-LEX+ - NAV-TV. Kind of pricey.

And this for adding a TON of capability by phone: Select Lexus GX470 2003-2004 VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface. (This is the one for my 2003 LX—yours may differ slightly). There's a thread out there somewhere on the Grom with the +/- of using it.

But nothing to add an in-dash CD without a ton of work. I'm thinking about both of the options above, but some unscheduled front end work has me holding back for now.

Will those work on 2003 LC with Nav? i dont have the Lexus. Im not sure if theyr'e the same or not.

Both should—the Grom website has a parts finder of sorts—from the front page, just enter your own info. I did that, and it looks the same as for the LX. The RGB-LEX+ has a compatibility table further down the page. Looks like yours is there too.

Here's the thread earlier about the Grom unit: GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration. The second generation (start at p20, hah) looks to be a huge improvement on the first. But I don't have any personal experience with it.

Last i looked ,there wasn't many options to replace this system. Is that still true? Is there a factory replacement? I would love to change the whole set up with a backup camera and dash board CD player vs the 5 disc hiding in the arm tray. If i decide to keep this car i almost don't care how expensive it is. I know its tricky with the heating/cooling attached to the audio/Nav.

Yes, its possible. I recently did an entire sound upgrade, also added a backup-cam(really just a license plate frame cover with a camera). Also changed all interior lights to LED and front headlights to LED as well.

I chose the Alpine Halo 9, which replaced the radio unit, which was relocated to the 5CD changer to retain climate control.
Alpine | 9-Inch Alpine Halo9 Dash System with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – iLX-F309
HD Radio/Sirius Radio/Aux plug in/Bluetooth connection and other music apps can be used, but I'm not telling the whole story of what this unit can do.

So the only things controlled by the original "Nav" unit is Trip function(AVG MPG..etc) and climate control.
But no more CD/DVD functionality. The NAV portion now is with Alpine 9, but you need your phone, not a stand alone system. I use Apple Car play so that's how navigation can be done. It is android friendly too. The buttons on the steering wheel for volume/up;down button for track/radio selection and microphone works.

The other things are the alpine unit is so large that it covers the bottom 3 buttons; I think side mirror defrost, rear A/C control, and rear defrost? Its convenient and maybe I will relocate these buttons elsewhere. The other thing is the automatic transmission shift. The height of the shift barely clears the lower end of the Alpine when you place it park. So you have to move the shift from the side vice top.
Also as mentioned above, no DVD/CD capability.

But the alpine unit which brings in the modern functionality for how we listen to music, backup camera(you can a fwd one too) and all new speakers/subwoofer eclipses these inconveniences IMO. So I'm super happy.

I will add some pics later. There was another head unit that I was offered, it was smaller and it had to retract(screen folds down and retracts inside the console), but was only a $100 cheaper. I didn't like the moving head screen as well and the screen looked cheap. But this would alleviate the coverage of the 3 buttons and interference with the shifter.

All this was not cheap.

Yes, its possible. I recently did an entire sound upgrade, also added a backup-cam(really just a license plate frame cover with a camera). Also changed all interior lights to LED and front headlights to LED as well.

All this was not cheap.

Do you have any pics, or a thread somewhere? I'd *love* to see this—the options I listed are pretty spendy, and still rely on the 15YO screen/hardware.

I looked at this quite a bit for my 2001 LX and concluded it was not worth it. Mostly what I wanted was blue tooth. I did install a BT45-TOY and the special cable from Crutchfields. No cutting wires. Works just great. The LX thinks that bluetooth is track 4 of the CD player which is just fine by me. Sound quality is good--including the microphone which I installed in the overhead console.

For maps I used the Owl Expedition cassette mount to make a hard point for a tablet and my phone and it all works pretty well. (Jump to the end of the Owl Mount topic if you want to see what looks like.) I also installed a couple of hard-wire USB chargers behind the dash. I find the ash tray is a good place to panel mount USB outlets. PM me if you'd like photos.

Honestly, I would not try to delete the OEM screen because it runs the HVAC. I looked at the idea hard and gave up on it at least until someone comes up with a truly complete solution.

I looked at this quite a bit for my 2001 LX and concluded it was not worth it. Mostly what I wanted was blue tooth. I did install a BT45-TOY and the special cable from Crutchfields. No cutting wires. Works just great. The LX thinks that bluetooth is track 4 of the CD player which is just fine by me. Sound quality is good--including the microphone which I installed in the overhead console.

For maps I used the Owl Expedition cassette mount to make a hard point for a tablet and my phone and it all works pretty well. (Jump to the end of the Owl Mount topic if you want to see what looks like.) I also installed a couple of hard-wire USB chargers behind the dash. I find the ash tray is a good place to panel mount USB outlets. PM me if you'd like photos.

Honestly, I would not try to delete the OEM screen because it runs the HVAC. I looked at the idea hard and gave up on it at least until someone comes up with a truly complete solution.

Jerry B. solution is a complete solution using all Lexus/Toyota parts. Jerry got the parts list from Lancruiser available outside US. You basically converting it to a Lancruiser without a Nav available outside the US. Jerry even offers a plug and play wiring harness. You will not find a better solution. The only drawbacks is parts are expensive because they are oem from Toyota. Parts are getting harder to find because everybody is buying all the supplies.

I would say if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term or even selling it awhile from now, do the full swap, you'll enjoy all the latest features of a modern head unit, and the multi-display could go out, not to mention it is the single most important thing to do to future-proof this truck. 20 years from now you or the next owner will certainly be fed up the navigation and integrated control system. I am certain it will add a considerable amount of value to the vehicle, both now, and more so in the future.

Jerry B. solution is a complete solution using all Lexus/Toyota parts. Jerry got the parts list from Lancruiser available outside US. You basically converting it to a Lancruiser without a Nav available outside the US. Jerry even offers a plug and play wiring harness. You will not find a better solution. The only drawbacks is parts are expensive because they are oem from Toyota. Parts are getting harder to find because everybody is buying all the supplies.

I think I've read most of the posts on this topic, but 'Jerry B' is not ringing a bell--would you mind posting a link? Thanks in advance!

Ah... now I understand. I'd seen the post-2003 delete but I'd given up on a pre-2003 delete. I had not been able to find anyone with a proven solution for a 2001 LX. Thanks for the reply!

To my understanding 2001 Lx does not have AC Controls within the nav, if it even has one. The levinston system is the issue. Thus swapping the stereo is easier.

To my understanding 2001 Lx does not have AC Controls within the nav, if it even has one. The levinston system is the issue. Thus swapping the stereo is easier.

My 2001, at least, does have the HVAC integrated into the display with buttons surrounding it. It looks like this:

faf50a9042a4d31f0b5ac274e42ce52a.image.638x360.jpg

Mine was actually a recent import from Japan so several of the screens are in Japanese, but fortunately the climate stuff is in English. Used it a few minutes ago as it happens.

Do you have any pics, or a thread somewhere? I'd *love* to see this—the options I listed are pretty spendy, and still rely on the 15YO screen/hardware.

It maybe hard to see the actual clearance between the shifter and bottom of head unit, its not much, but enough. You can tilt the head unit down to give more space, but the trade off is the screen is looking away from you.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

ShiftedHeadUnit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom