Repaint question... prep (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some updates from this week... All of this done with the quart that I purchased and 3 coats of primer over all surfaces (at least).
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Got to get a paintless dent puller to get this dent out of the door then I will prime it.

Going to grab another quart from the shop as everything I did took that entire quart. Next quart will be for hood, upper rear lift gate (some old rust abatement that I did a while back that needs to be corrected) and if there is enough left then I will do the roof as well.

Ok, so weird... I feel like I can see the old line where I had taken the paint down to metal in certain lights? Can anyone see the line just below the red line??? Then saw that some asshat decided to ding my door yesterday!!!

very difficult to discern from photos. can you feel it when you rub your hand over it? if so, time for some more blocking

very difficult to discern from photos. can you feel it when you rub your hand over it? if so, time for some more blocking
Yeah I realized that... seems to really on show in certain light and angles. I need to run my hand over it to see if I can feel but the concern was that if I am seeing it, would it show through base coat? I have yet to block the primer, been down with a stomach bug since Tuesday and lots of other crap going on.

Awesome! Looks sweet! That gray is damn close to ‘nardo’. Do you have more pics of how you masked the doors? Also just curious, are you running Geolanders on there?

I just purchased a compressor thIs morning and getting ready to shoot the bare metal spots sometime this week. Updates to my thread soon, this gets me stoked again. Right on

Awesome! Looks sweet! That gray is damn close to ‘nardo’. Do you have more pics of how you masked the doors? Also just curious, are you running Geolanders on there?

I just purchased a compressor thIs morning and getting ready to shoot the bare metal spots sometime this week. Updates to my thread soon, this gets me stoked again. Right on

Yeah via the Sherwin William farm implement enamel they just call it "Dark Gray". Changes colors depending on how bright the light is and how much it is in direct sun. Tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx in 31x1050x15s, great great tires. Cannot recommend them enough if you are looking for something more aggressive than your standard AT but not a full blown MT tire.

I watched this video multiple times on how to mask, learn how to back mask and use it as much as possible. For tape I literally picked up a few rolls (think I went through 3 1/2 of the 2" and 1 1/2 of the 1") of painters tape from HF, you can go more expensive if you want but I found it to work well. From there get yourself some thicker (like 2-3mil) plastic drop clothes, I used two 9x12 for the entire truck and still had some left over. You could get one large one, say like 15x30 and just drape over the entire vehicle, stick to the back masking and then cut out the sections you are painting.

Nice, those are the tires I spec’d For our 40 series build. I have been running coopers on my 80 for 3.5 years and I am really sold on them for value, handling, and wearability.

I was leaning toward no door jambs but man, I really should. It might be a good way for me to practice my skills too, instead of going all in and painting it all at once. Get some parts knocked out first and practice using the gun. I’m not so worried about the spraying part, just equipment failure or lack of preparation in knowing my equipment; adjustments, pressure, nozzles, etc.

Yeah the jambs would definitely give you a bit of practice when doing that. I had originally decided that I was not going to do the jambs, like the PO did not do, but then there was enough surface rust in a few spots that I said screw it and decided anyways. Will have to go back in the spring and touch a few spots up as I found some stuff while I was assembling her again last night. Some other spots that I did not know where there, small dents and what not, that I can now see and bug me a bit. Not that I expected to have a super show car, laser straight finish but they bug my OCD some. Hell that could change by next spring though.

Ya, it is easy to become super anal and thorough when doing a project like this. My main concern with the jambs is door striker/latch adjustment. I have always had older cars and I hate squeeks, rattles, and doors that do not shut or stay shut properly. And currently all my doors are likely butter and I dont want to mess with the hinges and crap because I have a feeling that it will not be easy to get everything aligned again. Time to do some Mud-mining to see what I'm in for...

Ya, it is easy to become super anal and thorough when doing a project like this. My main concern with the jambs is door striker/latch adjustment. I have always had older cars and I hate squeeks, rattles, and doors that do not shut or stay shut properly. And currently all my doors are likely butter and I dont want to mess with the hinges and crap because I have a feeling that it will not be easy to get everything aligned again. Time to do some Mud-mining to see what I'm in for...
I just taped mine off and called it good. I had one that came off real easily and then the second one started fighting me on releasing one of the mounting screws. At that point I said screw it and just taped the striker off and then taped the door mechanism. Saw in one of the GunMan videos where he just balls up tape, sticky side out and shoves it in the striker assembly on the door, this keep the paint out of the assembly but allows you not to have to tape off like crazy. Tried it and worked like a charm. Other benefit is that it does not allow the door to close if it happens to try and shut because the tape wont allow the striker to go into the mechanism.

Realized I hadn't thrown up a photo of BeBe re assembled.

Still got to cut and buff the orange peel but otherwise I am happy with how it came out.

Got a moment to play tonight...
Took 1500 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then took 2000 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then cut with Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound on the DA Polisher for another 15 or so minutes
Then polished/cleaned with Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner on the DA Polisher for about another 15 or so minutes...

So this is what the orange peel looked like at first...

And this is after all the above....

Not bad at all!!! This was just on the front portion of the hood. Was just kinda seeing what I could do, feeling out the DA and what everything felt like. Moderate pressure with both wet sanding and the DA. Still has a bit of orange peel to it but I would consider it more "period correct."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom