Family Camping Set-up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for ideas for a family camping rig. We are contemplating purchasing an FJ80 and trying very hard to talk ourselves out of a Eurovan.

A little bit about what we are looking to do. This would strictly be a spring/summer/fall weekend rig based out of VT. It would be in storage during the winter. Everything would remain packed in it while not in use. Some needs:

-Sleep 2 adults and 2 kids.
-Car seats would ideally remain in the 2nd row.
-Some combination of RTT, awning room, sleeping platform inside, or 4 person RTT??
-Cooking/dining setup that stores away.
-Table and chair storage
-Refrigerator
-Water storage
-Extra storage for toys, games, sports equipment.
-Bike rack for up to 4 bikes
-Awning for hanging out in rainy weather.
-We would prefer to limit the amount of loading/unloading of bins or other storage devices.

I'm curious what other families have come up with. We want to be quickly mobile every day or two. Basically, for a weekend or week, we want to be able to throw a few clothes and some food in and be ready to roll.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

As a former Toyota tech and VW tech and owner of a fzj80 daily driver, my vote goes towards the 80. Eurovans are viewed the same at a VW dealer as 80 series cruisers at a Toyota dealer. Both are very different from other products, everything is harder to do on them, and a pain to get on a lift. The biggest difference to me is common problems on any VW are more likely to leave you stranded.

At the age of most Eurovans, timing chains stretched and remainder is worn out and rattling. It's between the engine and transmission, so $$$$$. Fuel pumps are known to fail along with every electrical part.

I've done what most would consider a lot of work on my cruiser, but mostly preventative. Even the head gasket was easier and cheaper that timing chains on a Eurovan.

And even at the dealer, some Eurovans with the extra camping crap under the lower right couldn't be put on a lift. When they come in for a repair they usually get passed off for a day or two because no tech wants to be stuck with one.

Good roof rack and RTT. Possible position the RTT so a small basket can sit up top as well. Fold down the 2nd seat for sleep for the kiddo's and you have the upstairs. A small trailer added to the combo would give you all the room needed. Friend uses his 80 (2 adults, 4 kids), trailer and tents pretty comfy.

You are creating the ultimate expedition rig:

1. runs on cheap gas in any country
2. Carries four (4) people comfortably
3. plenty of space for a fridge, pull out drawer kitchen deal
4. put on a kuat bike rack to the hitch
5. throw on a RTT
6. Add an awning
7. Recovery kit (flares, tow rope, shovel ( I use it more to bury poop than to get unstuck), etc.)
8. get some "skinnies" (BFG KM2's 33")
9. get a GPS or Ipad
10. wallaaah, you're home free.

Zona

Get a Pop-Up

Positives

Get a rack for top of truck.
Put Bicycles and Canoe on top of Pop-up
You can load it ahead of time.
They weigh almost nothing ie you might not even need extra brakes???
Fancy ones have heat/ac Units.
There are about 5000 on Craigslist so price...
You still have a truck when you get to your destination.
When your sick of it put it back on Craigslist

Negatives
small wheels so off-road about as good as a wagon.
Kids get to hear dad snore all night.
They are not bear proof.

Just the wife and I use ours, but her's a link to our camper conversion.
Camper Conversion & Drawer System

My conversion is in two pieces, so the 2nd row seats could be left in. The deck height may have to be adjusted a little to match the 2nd row seats better if you go that route. It is a little low, which reduces storage available underneath, but which I need for clearance since I'm tall. I only planned to sleep in it when the 2nd row was out, so it being lower was not a concern. With the 2nd row in, you'll want more storage underneath anyway and raising the height will match the folded seats better. Keep in mind the the fridge slide can also have a shallow drawer under it. I plan to modify it for that after seeing someone else do that.

Better for 2+2 sleeping would be to convert to a pop-top on the 80. They're somewhat common overseas. Campteq produced some and his methods are reproducible via DIY if you have some metal working skills; look for older threads here. Another young man here, sfluke, recently started working on a similar pop-top in this thread:
Building my own pop top

I'm biased towards the 80 also, but I own a VW Golf and think VW makes good stuff (not counting electronics or plastic cladding in millennial models!)

That being said, and someone can correct me if my memory is inaccurate, but:
I used to work at an oil change place, and we got a Eurovan in once, and it took us over an hour to figure out how to remove the skidplate, and of course a little more time to actually change the oil. since we never saw them, I'm sure an experienced mechanic/teenager at an oil change shop could knock it out much quicker, but it did seem like a real pain. I'm not sure if you could just remove the skid plate "permanently" but I also think it would be hard to change the oil on your own at home.

While that might not be a dealbreaker, it would definitely be something I'd consider for operating costs/hassles. They look really cool otherwise (for a van). Maybe look into a used sprinter van?

PS- You might want to look at outside magazine and some of the rock climbing magazines- climbers love 'climbing vans,' and they have a lot of cool ideas and methods of building them.

if you are camping in established campgrounds I 2nd the pop up camper idea, ours has been great. We just got back from a week long trip in big sur and it makes camping like that doable with 2 kids and 2 dogs. I have an RTT that we all sleep in for when we go on a one night trip in more remote locations. It is tight but works.

We've been in a similar situation for a number of years now. We had two boys that we needed the room for and now we have 4 kids (last 'one' was twins). I am whole-heartedly an 80 fan for a family adventure rig. For a family of 4 it will be great because you won't need to use the third row and can utilize the entire cargo area for gear.

Roof top tents aren't for everyone but it's been a game changer for us. Best family camping mod we've done, period. We actually have two tents, one is a 3-person Tepui Autana with annex and the other is a 4-person Tepui Kukenam XL. Either one would work well on an 80 but we generally have the Autana on the 80 and with the annex it's great. Room for mom and dad in the upper area and a room for dual cots on either side of the ladder in the annex with room for gear behind the ladder. I would probably suggest a tent like the Autana for a family because the annex also provides some privacy. We have that tent specifically for my wife because she can come down from the upper area and stand up to change clothes in the annex without every having the leave the privacy of the tent. She loves it.

As for the Euro-van. It will limit the places you can go and you'll likely be stuck to established campgrounds. If you want to get to remote sites and away from crowds it will be more difficult. An 80 would give you the versatility to get to more remote locations and away from people. That was big for us.

Here's our 80 set up

But I also have a trailer for the second tent so the annex doesn't always get used.

Family trips is where it's at. Nothing better

Adam .. gotta say your 80 / trailer camping setup it's not a fair example .. not even the average 80 owner would have such a sweet setup ..

I vote 80 with trailer mounted roof top tent also. Then add annex or sleeping platform in back. I did both setups. Or I can throw the RTT on the 80
SAM_0202.JPG
SAM_0282.JPG

Adam .. gotta say your 80 / trailer camping setup it's not a fair example .. not even the average 80 owner would have such a sweet setup ..

Agree ! Adam does make us all feel a little insecure...

you guys are funny. there are so many other rigs on here that are far more impressive than mine. ok, the dual tents is maybe a bit unique but its relevant to this thread. I have this setup purely out of necessity to fit my whole family. thanks for the compliments though.
back to the OP a single RTT w/annex is a good solution for a small family. that's my vote.

We've been in a similar situation for a number of years now. We had two boys that we needed the room for and now we have 4 kids (last 'one' was twins). I am whole-heartedly an 80 fan for a family adventure rig. For a family of 4 it will be great because you won't need to use the third row and can utilize the entire cargo area for gear.

Roof top tents aren't for everyone but it's been a game changer for us. Best family camping mod we've done, period. We actually have two tents, one is a 3-person Tepui Autana with annex and the other is a 4-person Tepui Kukenam XL. Either one would work well on an 80 but we generally have the Autana on the 80 and with the annex it's great. Room for mom and dad in the upper area and a room for dual cots on either side of the ladder in the annex with room for gear behind the ladder. I would probably suggest a tent like the Autana for a family because the annex also provides some privacy. We have that tent specifically for my wife because she can come down from the upper area and stand up to change clothes in the annex without every having the leave the privacy of the tent. She loves it.

As for the Euro-van. It will limit the places you can go and you'll likely be stuck to established campgrounds. If you want to get to remote sites and away from crowds it will be more difficult. An 80 would give you the versatility to get to more remote locations and away from people. That was big for us.

Here's our 80 set up

But I also have a trailer for the second tent so the annex doesn't always get used.

Family trips is where it's at. Nothing better

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking RTT with annex and awning on the other side. Keep the ideas/pics coming. This place is awesome.

From campground,
image.jpg

To any ground
image.jpg

an 80 can get you there and back with ease.

The RTT on the truck is ideal for 'overland' style travel where you dont have a base camp set up and more or less are traveling thru areas daily and camping somewhere different every night. We did a 3 week trip out to Utah exploring and never camped the same place 2 nights straight and it was rather easy, even with a 2 yr old, and super fun.

If you stay in the same spot for a few days it is still good too. Just get everything dialed and organized. 80s are way cooler than any van. And I don't know how long youll be able to keep it garaged over winter, you will want to drive it all day, every day!

Looking for ideas for a family camping rig. We are contemplating purchasing an FJ80 and trying very hard to talk ourselves out of a Eurovan.

A little bit about what we are looking to do. This would strictly be a spring/summer/fall weekend rig based out of VT. It would be in storage during the winter. Everything would remain packed in it while not in use. Some needs:

-Sleep 2 adults and 2 kids.
-Car seats would ideally remain in the 2nd row.
-Some combination of RTT, awning room, sleeping platform inside, or 4 person RTT??
-Cooking/dining setup that stores away.
-Table and chair storage
-Refrigerator
-Water storage
-Extra storage for toys, games, sports equipment.
-Bike rack for up to 4 bikes
-Awning for hanging out in rainy weather.
-We would prefer to limit the amount of loading/unloading of bins or other storage devices.

I'm curious what other families have come up with. We want to be quickly mobile every day or two. Basically, for a weekend or week, we want to be able to throw a few clothes and some food in and be ready to roll.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Let me first put my flame retardant suit on....

I'd go for the Eurovan but if you can swing it, go for both. A "camping rig" doesn't necessarily have to be a 4x4 on steroids like some of our 80s are. Your granny's station wagon was a great camping rig, remember? Eurovan has everything you want for your family size.

-Sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. >> easily done in the Eurovan. Not so, in the 80.
-Car seats would ideally remain in the 2nd row. >> piece of cake in the Eurovan. And the family can even play board games while facing each other while you drive!! Whoa, who'd thunk it?
-Some combination of RTT, awning room, sleeping platform inside, or 4 person RTT?? >>> Eurovan does this and so much more. The poptop is sweet, spacious for two and easy to deploy.
-Cooking/dining setup that stores away. >>> Sure, if you don't mind hauling this crap in/out every day in the 80.
-Table and chair storage >> The cargo in the 80 is great, as long as you don't have a dog.
-Refrigerator >> Eurovan has it built in.
-Water storage >> Eurovan has it built in., PLUS a shower!
-Extra storage for toys, games, sports equipment. >> Eurovan has it built in.
-Bike rack for up to 4 bikes >> hitch mounted on both both vehicles.
-Awning for hanging out in rainy weather. >>Eurovan has the Fiamma units, looks nice and installed easily. But consider sideways rainy and windy weather. You can hide in the EVan and carry on, not so inside the 80.
-We would prefer to limit the amount of loading/unloading of bins or other storage devices. >>> Yeah, that's a tall order with the 80.

Few more things that weren't mentioned:
- Fuel economy - EVan wins
- Maintenance - Toss up, bring a 20 yr rig up to date or deal with the s***ty tranny and crappy wiring on the EVan. Thing is, the 80 probably won't leave you stranded.
-80 will get you more remote, if that's what you like. The front wheel drive EVan might get you remote enough for your family's comfort. I've been impressed with the tenacity of some of the EVan owners and how they manage to wheel their junk into rough terrain.
- EVan will allow the hauling of canoes/kayaks/etc on top of the poptop. Not so easy with a 80 and a RTT.
- Both rigs have a cult like following all over the world.
- you can cook inside the Evan and then eat inside or outside. Not so with the 80.

Another vehicle you may want to consider is a 4Runner. My 4th gen Runner has more room, cupholders, etc than the 80. It's a whole different class of vehicle and I enjoy driving the s*** out of it. I also enjoy wheeling the s*** out of both of my 4x4s but each has its own merit. A solid front axle is a bit overkill for someone who doesn't plan on making a zombie apocalyptic attack rig!

Lastly, when I went on a cross country family vacation six years ago in a '97 80 with 2.5" lift with a Border Collie, one toddler and my wife, I soooo got tired of moving in/out of the rig at the end of each day. While at Yellowstone, I watched a family of four with two labs camp out of their Eurovan and was impressed by the whole package. An Eurovan would've been the perfect rig for that road trip that went through for states and 2700 miles. Shame that VW really didn't produce a sturdy drivetrain but the use of space is simply brilliant.

Now, if only there is a way to slap that Eurovan unibody on top of a 80 chassis.....

Last edited:
Typically it is just my son and I camping when we go fishing so I just built a sleeping platform and have storage underneath it. It's simple and utilitarian. Wouldn't work very well for a family of four. I can't speak with any experience on the others but will be getting a RTT with annex and awning within the year.

One thing I can say is that the support for the 80 is unparalleled. The knowledge and willing to share the knowledge within the Land Cruiser community is unmatched.

One last thing, don't ever compare the 80 to a freaking van. I don't care how "cool" that van is, it's still a van. :flipoff2:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this seemed the most appropriate place without starting a new one.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendation using the 80 as a family camping rig for a family of 5-6?

We have a small son (1 yo) and are planning on more soon. I love the 80 series and want to build one for a daily driver/weekend adventure vehicle but it seems like that might be difficult if we end up with 3 or possibly 4 kids.

My vote for a family would definitely be a camping trailer of some sort. Either the off-road trailer with a RTT (like @dogfishlake pictured), a pop-up trailer, a canned ham trailer or a small teardrop style. There simply is not enough room for that many people and their stuff in an 80. We barely manage with 2 people.

That's my $.02

For a camper van, I would go full size domestic rather than a VW. They're more robustly built and easier/cheaper to maintain. Plus you get a little more room, power and ground clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom