Anyone use this to pull the crank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dox

Threads
Today’s goal on week 3 of timing belt change adventure is to pull the crank and get the new water pump and belt on. Anyone use this tool or have any recommendations?

A1C803D1-25D7-43D9-90EB-C5A139996832.png

Never used one of those. I broke the nut loose the redneck way. I used a 36" breaker bar, braced it against the garage floor and bumped the starter.

Tried my impact last night and no joy, Sewell really over torqued a few of the bolts last time. Not opposed to bumping but how did you get it back on?

Tried my impact last night and no joy, Sewell really over torqued a few of the bolts last time. Not opposed to bumping but how did you get it back on?

Impact

Reactions: Dox
This.

SCH64300.jpg

Much better idea to use the correct tool. @flintknapper where is your sense of adventure? Haha

^^^^^ Used most of it up in my 20's and 30's.

Now at 64...life is much more about 'easy'. ;)

Not adverse to the occasional adventure mind you...but it needs to be of my choosing.

This will work much better, but I did successfully do a T belt change using a similar tool that you showed. I highly suggest that you buy some very high-grade 8x1.25 bolts. The tool that I used bent/broke my bolts because they were not high enough grade.

Reactions: Dox
The SCH64300 tool posted by @flintknapper is the correct SST tool, many really like it.
Alternative to SST or bumping with starter is a chain wrench.

You'll find many shop mechanics use a chain wrench, most without even protecting pulley with old piece of drive belt.
027.JPG

Chain wrench, is fast, easy & cheap multi purpose tool. Used along with 3/4 breaker bar make short work of the job.
044.JPG

032.JPG

Note: When using chain wrench, it's necessary to remove oil sending unit. I use FIPG 103 (oil pan FIPG) on threads during install.

Last edited:
Just did the timing belt on my LX a couple weeks ago now. Picked up the SST on Amazon. Was able to get the crank bolt out in a couple minutes and torqued back down in a couple more. Pretty easy and well worth it.

Everyone works at a different pace or has other things going on, so I'm genuinely curious, what has been taking 3 weeks?

IMG_20180901_132019.jpg

Waiting on parts, the list grew daily, fan bracket was a bear. Lots of cleaning while in there. New radiator arrives tomorrow. And I haven’t driven my E39 in a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom