Icon stage 1 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo the time has come. I bought this last year and have been waiting to install. Initially I was going to go for a 2inch lift and all the way around with the 2inch springs. Instead I am going to go stock height all the way around and keep the 2inch springs to drop in later.

If I buy the stock height spring from metal tech, do I run both the front icon 2.5 at the lowest perch and the rear icon 2.0 at the lowest perch also?

The Icon front coilovers have an adjustable collar. Undo the set screw and you can screw up or down to set your height. You will need to measure from hub to fender and play around with it. The rear height is dependent on the coil you put in there. If you get a stock FJ cruiser or 4runner rear coil that will be near stock height. The icons are 2" lift rear coil springs.

Oh ok, so the rear 2.0s are almost like self adjusting based on whatever the spring height is. I wasn’t sure if it needed to be adjusted before the springs went in

Oh ok, so the rear 2.0s are almost like self adjusting based on whatever the spring height is. I wasn’t sure if it needed to be adjusted before the springs went in
The rear shocks are a set length based on the height of your spring. Icon 2.0 for a 2" lift height should work for a stock (0") lift height UP TO a maximum of 2" lift---achieved with the coil spring. The shock gives no lift on the rear. The coil-overs up front are adjustable 0-3" with the adjustable collar.
What you are referring to are like Bilstein 5100s or Eibach adjustable struts--these have a height adjustable collar as well, but it works utilizing a c-clip and coil spring tension--generally re-using the stock coils.

What you ideally want is 0-3" front C/Os and 2.5 rear shocks with 2" OR 3" rear lift coils. I am using OME 5th gen 3" coils that I cut down 1/4" and they feel PERFECT. paired with a simple Bilstein 5100s for now, but I will be using Fox Racing 2.5's eventually---or the King 3.0s.....

if you are running the coil-overs id recommend a Total Chaos UCA or the Delta Joint IVD arms.---dont spend the extra on icon arms UNLESS they're the delta joint ones.

Also, the 2.0/2.5/3.0 thing with shocks doesn't dictate lift height or even length of shock stroke---it is the O.D. (outer diameter) of the shock body. 3.0 = more compression Than 2.5, which is more compression than 2.0 etc. etc. :) Hope it helps!

Thanks for the clarification! For now, I’m going to run it stock height(fj springs), sometime in the next 8months I’m going to swap in the icons that I have and do the UCAs. I’ll probably go with the icon 2.5s in the rear since I’ll already have the 2.5s in the front.

Thanks for the clarification! For now, I’m going to run it stock height(fj springs), sometime in the next 8months I’m going to swap in the icons that I have and do the UCAs. I’ll probably go with the icon 2.5s in the rear since I’ll already have the 2.5s in the front.
Are you going to carry a lot of weight in the rear? if NOT, you can get away with running 2.0s no problem. 2.5s are for the guys holding a lot of weight (gear, bumpers, sliders, rack, etc..) and the guys doing a lot of hammering on the suspension (i.e., pre-running). if thats you, DEFINITELY go for the 2.5s. if it ISNT, save yourself a few bucks and run 2.0s. They'll do you just find

No weight in the rear to start out, that’s exactly what the guy from metal tech said when I ordered stage 1. I’ll add the 2.5 in the rear when I get the bumper and sliders. It’s going to be a DD for the next 10 months. So I think no lift, fj springs, icon 2.5 front and 2.0 rear will work good for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom