Moldy AC smell... Ozone treatment or find and clean the Evap tray. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't drive my "old" LC as much as Id like so I've noticed the AC has started to get a funky smell...That moldy wet smell. I live in a very humid environment. I have two options. Have someone come over with an ozone machine and leave it running with the fan on over night. Or send it to the dealer to have them dig out the HVAC and clean out the Evap tray. Which is most likely the culprit... I have already tried:
1. Leave AC on overnight
2. Leave Heater on Hi overnight
3. Spray lysol and Ozium in vents and intake recirc, leave car on overnight.
Its better but still horrible.

I think that must be a common issue, I have noticed that too, with the 200s I have owned all seem to have this odd interior smell to them.
There are some different products out there to help resolve the odd smells.
I used one a few years ago that still seems to be working today. It was sort of like a bug bomb. It was this cup of material that you put water in and leave in the car over night, then roll the windows down the next day for a few hours. Seems to still be working.
I also changed my cabin filter.

It has been a couple years now, I will try and find that product I had used and pass the info along.

Found it. $22.45 on amazon prime.
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Shocker-ClO2-interior-eliminator/dp/B001H8VLFC

biocide-systems-general-cleaners-3213-64_1000.jpg

I think the root of the problem is the evaporator/tray. I would access it, clean it and find a way to install a way to a hose and spray head so that it could be flushed easily in the future.

I think the root of the problem is the evaporator/tray. I would access it, clean it and find a way to install a way to a hose and spray head so that it could be flushed easily in the future.
I would love to find a way to do it myself....Any diagrams or instructions anywhere?

bump for this thread. Is cleaning evaporator/tray labor intensive?

I would love to find a way to do it myself....Any diagrams or instructions anywhere?

I have had an issue with the AC in my 2016 smelling like mildew since the second month I had it. Tried all kinds of products including having dealer spray that foam stuff through the blower access, but I have never been able to find a solution. There is no good way to access the drain tube that goes to the evaporator, and the evaporator itself is buried deep in the dash. Would also love to find a solution.

We used Gonzo Odor Eliminator Rocks in our FJ62 for years to counter the smell of our dogs. Wife zip-tied to our Milford Cargo Barrier, which allowed air to pass thru rocks. Youtube video showing placement on floor mat => elimination of air passing thru rocks. Place in sunshine to "recharge."

Not sure about their effecfiveness re: AC evaporator odors. The rocks themselves have no odor, so it won't immediately "mask" any odor.

On a '92 Toyota pickup, which was a salvage using 2 totaled trucks, a bucket seats had been sprayed by a cat (or was it the PO driver?). We tried the usual upholstery cleaners, with little relief. Took to an Ozium shop; TWICE, with success on the 2nd attempt.

So ive been doing a little research on this lately. Wife has a 2016 Audi that has developed a stinky smell. Dealer says they all do it and they have seen this a lot. Ours did not do it until recently. They suggested a detail which we did and the smell was still there. They supposedly did an ozone clean and the smell went away for about a week. However they refused to tell us exactly what they did. They actually have out an Audi approved TSB acknowledging odors and have an approved "fix" if complained about during the 1st year of ownership.

Smelly car - AudiWorld Forums

Anyhow, round and round we go with the dealer. Going back to them on Monday. Ive been looking for a product that will actually KILL mold and mildew when used. The below I found and talked to their c/s. They assured me that it will kill but would not tell me the ingredients as they said it was proprietary. Haven't tried it yet. Find it incredible that this is even an issue. 1st they told us to use the ac only on recirc. Then only on fresh air. Then to run the blower for 15 minutes with compressor off as to dry out the evaporator....... Its all BS. I want to get rid of the cause and not just mask the smell. Who knows what one might be breathing in. All drains that I can find, A pillars, sunroof, etc are clear, etc. Interior mats dry and no trace of water. One problem is that the evaporator im pretty sure is tucked in the middle lower dash in the Audi and you aren't able to even see it.

Post back if you find something that actually kills.

KoolIT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom