Builds 97 on 40s Expo Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know how this is gonna look but I like it. I debated on following this same path but in the end decided it was too much work for the clearance to be gained and I didn't want to lose the tailgate as that comes in handy while camping :cheers:

These trucks are so difficult to fit a low suspension/large tires with their sheet metal being on the way.... Great idea you have here !
I have approached this departure issue on a different way by moving the rear axle close to 3” back. I had to reconstruct the rear passenger well to fit 42’s.
Looking forward for your next steps!

Did you run into any issues moving it that for back? I am going to eventually push mine back an 1” or 2” and cut out the wheel wells and tub so i can stuff the 40s at stock bump

Did you run into any issues moving it that for back? I am going to eventually push mine back an 1” or 2” and cut out the wheel wells and tub so i can stuff the 40s at stock bump

Yes, a few issues:
- One of the cross members for the coils will be right on top of the axle, well in my case. I cut that thing off.

- Fuel pipe is also kind of the way in order to mount the shocks behind the axle. If you relocate this, then perfect for shocks

- there’s no room for vertical shocks. I ended going trough the tub in front of axle. While the cross member is gone, the shock towers itself made a little truss between the frame rails and the left over cross member piece.

- wheel wells are on the way as well, as we push the axle back the wells kind of tapers down. I had plan for 40’s and I think the best tire for an 80 but ended up with 42’s which they were 50% off. Pitbull didn’t have 40 and don’t like their 39.5”. Going back,
The well on the passenger side has to be redone as there’s no room for such a big tire.
Driver side will run against the filler neck.

- my rear axle is 64” wms and rubbed way too much while stuffed in, I added 2” spacers and it’s a lot better.

- I am suffering from too much body roll on the rear, I am in the processes of getting new stiffer coils, hopefully the rubbing will stop.

That’s all I can think of?

Here’s a few pics for reference

676EB6F7-4A1B-4894-97C4-063204111B65.jpeg

DF2405B8-505D-4FA3-AF45-73F6D8B6075F.jpeg

Pure savagery. I dig it.

I’m hoping it’ll look really clean when I have it all finished up. Also, I figured out what I’m going to do with the gate. Just going to have it lift off and not weld it. So I loose the fold down ability but at least I’ll still be able to load things in the back easily. Then going to be doing a bumper design kind of similar to yours. Using mainly 2x2x1/4” and 2x4x1/4”.

I dont see the point but to each his own

Just making the back of my truck look dope....duh :cautious:

A few of you were the ones that said chopping my quarter panels was pointless without dealing with frame rails. So frame rails delt with and now it’ll look dope....as stated above

Just making the back of my truck look dope....duh :cautious:

A few of you were the ones that said chopping my quarter panels was pointless without dealing with frame rails. So frame rails delt with and now it’ll look dope....as stated above
I am not sure I share that sentiment

Expomax, keep thinking outside the norm, who cares what others think if it works for you.
Totally agree

But I am commenting for others' benefit too. You are all welcome

Indeed, indeed. Im sure all that sheet metal was just decorative anyway

Ha ha

Less sheet metal = less likely to dent my crap right?!

Totally agree

But I am commenting for others' benefit too. You are all welcome

Welllll probably a reason why I’m the first I know of to just decide to cut all this crap off :worms: . Running out of things to chop before ute haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom