True cruising range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yday broke my 'old record' of 7 miles till empty and set a 'new world record' of 1 mile till empty...proceeded to fill up and took 22.349 gallons...what the tank size? I am sure I wasn't in quite that dire shape? Probably a bit of reserve above that?

I felt like Kramer driving past the "E" and into the unknown...

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the miles to empty would start going negative...

-38 mte...very impressive. I have something to work towards now.

Mine isn't smart enough to calculate its own status. I have good ol' calculator for that.

My best has been 360 miles to a tank with the light being on for about 20 miles or so. This was in the WV mountains with lots of inclines and declines.

I try not to let anything run below 1/4 tank of fuel.

Below 1/4 tank can be harder on your fuel pump because of cavitation and possibly picking up trash from the bottom of the tank.

250 miles is my limit. I never push beyond that. Typically, when doing highway driving, that means I'll refuel with 20-21 gallons. City driving, more like 22 gallons. Never want to run this thing dry. Sure, I could probably go over 300, but I don't feel comfortable with that.

I must have had some factory freaks. Both of my 100s (current one with the DT headers) cleared 300 miles to the tank before the lights ever came on. I don't even think I'd hit the lowest mark yet.

This is only true for highway only trips. Around town, I'll pull 260-270 out of about 21-22 gallons.

I'd get better fuel economy if I didn't have 33" KO2s, snorkel, Ironman Bullbar, Gamiviti roof rack, Yakima MegaWarrior, loaded drawer system and BIOR dual swingout bumper. I'm nearly 900 lbs over stock weight with multiple "non-aero" appendages adorned on my rig. Definitely not a Prius.

IMG_2278.JPG

I thought the snorkel was good for an extra +10mpg:hillbilly:

Are you quite sure? 360 miles for 1 tank? I can get to 300 pretty easy, but the light has already come on, somewhere between 280 and 300. I reckon 360 is doable, but I'd be well nervous at that point. My light is on WAY before 340miles, as you mention. Thanks

Mine isn't smart enough to calculate its own status. I have good ol' calculator for that.

My best has been 360 miles to a tank with the light being on for about 20 miles or so. This was in the WV mountains with lots of inclines and declines.

I only get about 250, 260 before I see the light, but usually I don't let it get that low. My rig is definitely heavy and non aero. When the light comes on, I still probably have 4 gallons left?

I must have had some factory freaks. Both of my 100s (current one with the DT headers) cleared 300 miles to the tank before the lights ever came on. I don't even think I'd hit the lowest mark yet.

This is only true for highway only trips. Around town, I'll pull 260-270 out of about 21-22 gallons.

I get an uncorrected 260-270 miles out of 20-21 gallons. I'm supercharged with 295/75/16 toyos. This is 90% around town, 10% interstate driving. I used to think this was horrible but its really not bad for its size.

I usually end up going another 30 or 40 miles after the light comes on and get around 320 miles from a tank. It seems like I'm always putting about 23 gallons in when I fill up. I think that's pretty good considering she's such a pig.

I've gone 375. Very flat interstate driving, about 65 mph, was looking for a gas station. 330 is my average (stock LC).

Are you quite sure? 360 miles for 1 tank? I can get to 300 pretty easy, but the light has already come on, somewhere between 280 and 300. I reckon 360 is doable, but I'd be well nervous at that point. My light is on WAY before 340miles, as you mention. Thanks

Quite sure. In my old LX I bested at maybe 340 to a tank. I was even documenting it on a 100-series FB page because other people thought it was crazy. I was pretty surprised to see 360 with the LC. I attribute it to the headers, maybe.

The difference may be negligible, but wouldn't a larger than stock tire read fewer miles over a given distance than the stock size? Or is my math backwards...

Low fuel light means roughly 5gal left.
It is a 25gal tank.
Even with the trip computer saying 0 miles left you have probably 5miles left. But of course that's going to vary based on how you drive.

On the annual summer trip this year in southern Colorado, I got 396 miles between fill ups (about 22 gallons). The slower speeds and higher altitude of mountain driving helps me get 18-19 mpg on these types of trips. That's hauling 3 adults & 3 kids in a stock 99 LC with Michelin LTX all-seasons tires. I usually average about 15 mpg the rest of the year.

Y’all,
The fuel system needs fuel in it.... you do not want to run the truck empty and fill up with 25gal.

On my 98 with 33s I usually fill up before the gas light. When I pass one and have time, I just fill up. I hate being low on fuel when I’m trying to get somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom