5 spd tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 83 fj60 with the 4spd in it. My question is could a guy take a 5 spd out of a 89 Toyota 2wd pick up, and put it in the fj60? Any Intel will be appreciated. Thank you.

Could? Sure with enough money anything is possible. Would that be a W55-B? The problems you are going to have is that the transmission length is likely different, the bell housing will likely not bolt up to the engine and require an adapter, the input shaft length, diameter, splines could be a problem. You will likely have to use a custom flywheel in order to run the correct clutch. The transfer case wont bolt on directly and may require an adapter and or modification to the transmission itself. You will need to modify your drive shaft lengths. Because of the positioning of everything there might be clearance issues and the cross member and mounts likely need to be changed.

So yes I am sure its possible. But in the long run its probably less expensive just to buy and H55 and put that in.

I agree anything is possible, just didn't know if it be cheaper then the h55 trans..cheapest I found for one of those is 3400 shipped to my door.

I agree anything is possible, just didn't know if it be cheaper then the h55 trans..cheapest I found for one of those is 3400 shipped to my door.

not up on current pricing, but that seems $600 high or so. does that include the shifter, knob 5th gear oiler?
who are you getting pricing from? a local dealer may give a discount, my local dealer doesn't.
you'll also need other stuff for the install, transfer linkage, transfer rebuild kit, driveshaft mods, speedo cable? etc.

I know cool cruisers sells a full H55 kit for about $3400 with shifters and some other stuff.

I know cool cruisers sells a full H55 kit for about $3400 with shifters and some other stuff.

I ordered a brand new H55F for my 87 FJ60 from toyotapartsdeal.com in February for $2400. Best thing I’ve done to the truck, makes a world of difference.

Oiler was $2
Shift lever $164 (came with the bushing)

Came via FedEx on a pallet for $185

2910B96B-47E8-4F53-B64F-BAF046E92922.jpeg

B4361F47-60E3-431F-B344-57F10291EA10.jpeg

I just got a complete H55F and rebuilt split case for a very fair price from georg at valley hybrids. Changed the truck completely.

I ordered a brand new H55F for my 87 FJ60 from toyotapartsdeal.com in February for $2400. Best thing I’ve done to the truck, makes a world of difference.

Oiler was $2
Shift lever $164 (came with the bushing)

Came via FedEx on a pallet for $185

View attachment 1794085

View attachment 1794086

Doesn't look like its available from there anymore. All searches for "Transmission" yield a "Discontinued" result.

Thanks, sometimes difficult to find things on websites without more direct information.

Thanks, sometimes difficult to find things on websites without more direct information.

Oh I know that struggle!

Somewhere there is a post that has compiled all the part numbers for most things you can still get from Toyota.

Just in case you continue down this road:

Oiler #33124-36010

Lever assembly (includes bushing) #33530-60160

Knob #33504-14050 (I’d get this on eBay, you can get one that looks like the OEM 4 speed knob)

Bushing #33548-60020 (I think you only need this if your reusing your lever from the 4 speed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom