What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After 3+ years of having my teenage son ask EVERY time he got in the LX, “When are you going to fix the cracked sunroof trim?” :bang:, I finally got around to doing something about it. Additionally, the rubber gasket on the glass was torn from years of rubbing on the port installed roof rack. It leaked, and the glass rattled and squeaked constantly.

I picked up a replacement glass with a good gasket from a MUD member on the West coast and he shipped it to NJ ($100 delivered). This gasket, though intact, was 20 years old as well. Not having an inner tube to cut a strip from and perform the traditional gasket fix, I looked around the shop for something of similar dimension that might work. I settled on extra long zip ties cut down to fit between the gasket and the metal frame. Clipping the heads and the ends off, they seem to fit well and seal the gasket tight against the truck. The gasket was also treated to a liberal application of Gummi Pflege Stift as well.

My tan interior trim was faded, cracked, and brittle. The slightest pressure and it all shattered in a dozen pieces..., there was no hope of saving it. Tan trim is no longer available, but I was able to get all 4 pieces new in gray delivered to my door for $110. (PartSouq). UAE to NJ in 3 days FedEx :clap:. DupliColor makes an upholstery/vinyl spray paint that is a pretty close match to the original tan (HVP108 Desert Sand). I painted the gray trim tan, swapped the glass, cleaned/lubed all moving parts in the tilt/slide mechanism, installed the new trim, and it looks and works great.

For less than $250, I essentially have a new looking and functioning sunroof. No leaks, no rattles, no squeaks, no wind whistles on the highway, and when I ran through the power car wash today there were no leaks, even with the jets aiming right at the gasket.

I love my sunroof, and use it almost daily..., but even if I hated it, it would have cost me more than $250 to have it removed and welded shut. This was money well spent IMO.

Sunroof repair.jpg

And finally, the REALLY BIG repair of the weekend was replacing the fuel door spring. Simple, but a PITA at the same time. Don't knock the simpleness of the repair 'till you try it :).

Gass Door.jpg

@Jgunner ... welcome to my world on this. If you find a solution, please tag me when you post it. I'm having that same issue and was just about to try the u-joints. Same thing with no wheel play as well. Very frustrating.
I have a lot of new parts in it, but noise was kinda there before. I have a whole new front diff, axles, u joint, brakes, bearings, seals you name it in the front axle, basically not the housing or knuckles, bout it.

My mechanic buddy thinks its the t case, but can’t explain that it softens with front driveshaft removed, but still there. He’s also kinda deaf.

I gonna tear the knuckles apart and listen to land cruiser phil. But ill inspect everything like im a damn doctor, tired of the noise.

And Im gonna take a wild guess these will be avialable on LCP, yea??

Thanks for asking but no.:( I upgrade to the real OEM switch. The aftermarket pictured switch is what I upgraded from (after 5 years of great service and still going) its available from @Hitit66. He is a local guy and does sell the relabeled switch and a couple other nice aluminum CNC'd items is the classified section.

I do have something that you need bad that Im surprised you dont have.....yet;)

I have a lot of new parts in it, but noise was kinda there before. I have a whole new front diff, axles, u joint, brakes, bearings, seals you name it in the front axle, basically not the housing or knuckles, bout it.

My mechanic buddy thinks its the t case, but can’t explain that it softens with front driveshaft removed, but still there. He’s also kinda deaf.

I gonna tear the knuckles apart and listen to land cruiser phil. But ill inspect everything like im a damn doctor, tired of the noise.

Just removing the driveline still lets everything in the front axle turn. The good is if you have removed the driveline and it softens now remove your driveplate also and if the noise stops its in the front axle. I suggested checking the axle bushing because of the cruiser mileage and everything else had been replaced but no guarantees.

After 3+ years of having my teenage son ask EVERY time he got in the LX, “When are you going to fix the cracked sunroof trim?” :bang:, I finally got around to doing something about it. Additionally, the rubber gasket on the glass was torn from years of rubbing on the port installed roof rack. It leaked, and the glass rattled and squeaked constantly.

I picked up a replacement glass with a good gasket from a MUD member on the West coast and he shipped it to NJ ($100 delivered). This gasket, though intact, was 20 years old as well. Not having an inner tube to cut a strip from and perform the traditional gasket fix, I looked around the shop for something of similar dimension that might work. I settled on extra long zip ties cut down to fit between the gasket and the metal frame. Clipping the heads and the ends off, they seem to fit well and seal the gasket tight against the truck. The gasket was also treated to a liberal application of Gummi Pflege Stift as well.

My tan interior trim was faded, cracked, and brittle. The slightest pressure and it all shattered in a dozen pieces..., there was no hope of saving it. Tan trim is no longer available, but I was able to get all 4 pieces new in gray delivered to my door for $110. (PartSouq). UAE to NJ in 3 days FedEx :clap:. DupliColor makes an upholstery/vinyl spray paint that is a pretty close match to the original tan (HVP108 Desert Sand). I painted the gray trim tan, swapped the glass, cleaned/lubed all moving parts in the tilt/slide mechanism, installed the new trim, and it looks and works great.

For less than $250, I essentially have a new looking and functioning sunroof. No leaks, no rattles, no squeaks, no wind whistles on the highway, and when I ran through the power car wash today there were no leaks, even with the jets aiming right at the gasket.

I love my sunroof, and use it almost daily..., but even if I hated it, it would have cost me more than $250 to have it removed and welded shut. This was money well spent IMO.

View attachment 1791825

And finally, the REALLY BIG repair of the weekend was replacing the fuel door spring. Simple, but a PITA at the same time. Don't knock the simpleness of the repair 'till you try it :).

View attachment 1791828

FINALLY!
Someone (like me) that WANTS to keep the sunroof!

I will be buying another unit from a member (to be determined) to clean up, lube, adjust, and install in the same manner. I will do the inner tube trick on mine. Mine currently has one cable broken, so I will rehab a unit, get it all ready, do a pull and swap.

I like the tip on the replacement trim and color! I may end up doing that!

How much time to do your replacement?
Did you have to drop the headliner to complete yours or was it just a glass replacement?

Just removing the driveline still lets everything in the front axle turn. The good is if you have removed the driveline and it softens now remove your driveplate also and if the noise stops its in the front axle. I suggested checking the axle bushing because of the cruiser mileage and everything else had been replaced but no guarantees.
They were replaced 6 months ago, but truck wasn’t driven due to lockers and gears going in at a snails pace. Ill try removing the drive plates and driveshaft and see if that takes it away. Ive always had a noise on deceleration at highway speeds, but i think thats normal t case noise. At least thats what I’ve been told.

Thanks for asking but no.:( I upgrade to the real OEM switch. The aftermarket pictured switch is what I upgraded from (after 5 years of great service and still going) its available from @Hitit66. He is a local guy and does sell the relabeled switch and a couple other nice aluminum CNC'd items is the classified section.

I do have something that you need bad that Im surprised you dont have.....yet;)
Cool I got my reroute hose, thank you. but what, what is it you have I need cause I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean by this?

Compress the pistons using the old pads and apply the brakes to make sure everything goes in and out smoothly. Many times pistons corrode when spending too much time out and return poor wear result going forward because they dont move smoothly.

Compress the pistons using the old pads and apply the brakes to make sure everything goes in and out smoothly. Many times pistons corrode when spending too much time out and return poor wear result going forward because they dont move smoothly.

When you cycle them, do you compress while still mounted, activate, then compress again? Maybe a couple times, THEN dismount and swap the pads?

Then bleed the calipers to wash out any gunk stirred up by this?

Cool I got my reroute hose, thank you. but what, what is it you have I need cause I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool does clear up the area.

It corrects your rear suspension geometry something you would enjoy given all your road miles. You know me Im not in to promoting my own parts but I figured for the guy that takes pride in having EVERYTHING......... almost :grinpimp:

When you cycle them, do you compress while still mounted, activate, then compress again? Maybe a couple times, THEN dismount and swap the pads?

Then bleed the calipers to wash out any gunk stirred up by this?

I do it on the vehicle and you want to use the most used pads for the most range of motion. eing on the vehicle you dont need to worry about over extend the pistons and hating life.

I vacuum bleed from each caliper enough to feel I have 100% fresh fluid.

FINALLY!
Someone (like me) that WANTS to keep the sunroof!

How much time to do your replacement?
Did you have to drop the headliner to complete yours or was it just a glass replacement?

I did everything by just removing the glass. Glass removal (if you are not trying to save trim) is 15 minutes tops. Another two hours probably spent prepping and painting trim over a few days. Assembly, maybe 30 minutes.

There are metal spring clips that hold the plastic trim in place and I spent a lot of time trying to salvage those. Even though the clips have their own part number, it turns out the new trim comes with all new clips (10 total)

Last edited:

View attachment 1791828

Ha. I'm out of town a lot. When I am the kids like to drive my truck. However, it sat for about 3 weeks once because the fuel door wouldn't open . Pull the lever, try to open the door, not working. Can't put gas in it = can't drive it. None of them ever thought to try it with 2 people. One hold the lever, other flip the door open. I had a suspicion as to cause but didn't say anything. Ordered the $6 (I think) Dorman part and when I got home put it in. Voila. They still don't know what was wrong.

Cool does clear up the area.

It corrects your rear suspension geometry something you would enjoy given all your road miles. You know me Im not in to promoting my own parts but I figured for the guy that takes pride in having EVERYTHING......... almost :grinpimp:
Oh I know what your talking about. My set up is pretty tight on and off plus Id have to get a HD panahrd as mnes adj

View attachment 1791825

View attachment 1791828

This is outstanding. Part numbers with pictures! My sun roof works great but I need to replace the trim. Can I just pull the front trim piece off with the glass in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom