Tough dog review thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I got about 800 Miles on mine now,
I honestly don't notice much of a difference, body roll has maybe improved a little. The most noticeable thing with the ride is going over bumps, lets just say its kinda bouncy. Kinda like if you were driving with no shocks at all, you know the feeling.

Have you played with the adjustment a bit, it shoudn’t bounce as you say, seems like dampers are set way too soft for the springs and load

Just cranked them to 9, from 7 .Makes a pretty big difference in stiffness . Certainly did not get rid of the springy bounce I'm feeling, you make a good point though maybe the coils I'm running .

Drove around some more on the stiffest setting, definitely less body roll. Still having issues with this bouncing . Like the back of the car is trying to twerk.

That sounds like a spring issue to me. After bumps it should settle almost instantly, especially on the stiffest setting

how much weight are you runnin?

Hi all, new member here. I have a '03 100, and I'm leaning toward going with the
3" TourFlex Suspension Kit - my question is that the kit doesn't seem to come with UCA's... but from what I've been able to find on the forum, Nitro UCA's would be 100% necessary. Thoughts?

I can't speak to the requirement of Nitros over other UCAs, but yes you'll want them. At 3" you won't be able to get your alignment back into spec using the OEM UCAs.

I just ordered a set of SPC UCAs from @Rauhwelt for a good price. PM him for info.

I have Nitros. And, while very nice, don't have the same "caster" adjustment that the SPC do. I'd go with those, just for that reason. Just make sure they are the newest SPC that have the Zerx fittings for the bushings. The older ones squeak like mad and are difficult to re-lube.

Additionally, if you go 2" or greater on a lift, get the extended links as well. They make a more noticeable difference than I would have thought.

Well I got about 800 Miles on mine now,
I honestly don't notice much of a difference, body roll has maybe improved a little. The most noticeable thing with the ride is going over bumps, lets just say its kinda bouncy. Kinda like if you were driving with no shocks at all, you know the feeling.

Remind me which coils you bought? MUD handles and actual names don't always match up for me.

If you have the TourFlex you need a minimum of 300# on the one and a minimum of 660# on the other. What are you load and gear weights currently?

J

Last edited:
Hi all, new member here. I have a '03 100, and I'm leaning toward going with the
3" TourFlex Suspension Kit - my question is that the kit doesn't seem to come with UCA's... but from what I've been able to find on the forum, Nitro UCA's would be 100% necessary. Thoughts?

All,

The 3" and 2" TourFlex kit is NLA. I modified them to a single 2.5" lift due to customer feedback and buying demographics over the past two years.

I can sell a UCA arm with a standard kit, but like most others, it's an option not a combined offering with a kit. I prefer the Nitro arms (fix correction) vs an adjustable correction. I'm about to release a UCA and its a fixed arm. I never had any luck with keeping the adjustable arms in alignment. Run Death Valley or 20 miles of oilfield washboard caliche and they were mis-aligned. While a novel idea, there's a reason that 99.9% of arms/ball joints on the market are fixed.

It's always recommended to swap in a set of aftermarket UCAs with a 2" and above lift. I ran a 3" lift for almost 9K miles with all stock front end components and never had an issue with braking, torque steer, alignment, tire wear, etc.. at around 9800 miles the CV boots started leaking. I didn't install a diff drop either. The new owner has since swapped the CV boots and installed a diff drop. More than anything, I wanted to see what if (I didn't) .........

Jason

All,

The 3" and 2" TourFlex kit is NLA. I modified them to a single 2.5" lift due to customer feedback and buying demographics over the past two years.

I can sell a UCA arm with a standard kit, but like most others, it's an option not a combined offering with a kit. I prefer the Nitro arms (fix correction) vs an adjustable correction. I'm about to release a UCA and its a fixed arm. I never had any luck with keeping the adjustable arms in alignment. Run Death Valley or 20 miles of oilfield washboard caliche and they were mis-aligned. While a novel idea, there's a reason that 99.9% of arms/ball joints on the market are fixed.

It's always recommended to swap in a set of aftermarket UCAs with a 2" and above lift. I ran a 3" lift for almost 9K miles with all stock front end components and never had an issue with braking, torque steer, alignment, tire wear, etc.. at around 9800 miles the CV boots started leaking. I didn't install a diff drop either. The new owner has since swapped the CV boots and installed a diff drop. More than anything, I wanted to see what if (I didn't) .........

Jason

Interested in the UCAs. When might we see them? Target pricepoint? Ball Joint situation?

Interested in the UCAs. When might we see them? Target pricepoint? Ball Joint situation?

Still a few weeks away. Ball joints with flex bushings and a aluminum cover cap. 3 degree correction. Full CrMo construction. Target price 489.00 - 529.00

J

Looking to order a set of air lift bags for my LC. I'll have the TD 2" dual rate gold springs. Does anyone know the inner diameter and length of these springs?

Has anyone opined that "Tough Dog" is a horrible name yet? What were the people in marketing thinking?

I think the logo is kinda corny.

While possibly "corny" and "horrible"... It is era specific advertising for the 70s and 80s. Not much difference compared to a emu wearing a helmet and goggles or a wannabe Marvel character. But then again look at some of the "handles" here on MUD.... PHFFT! To each their own.

Could it use some updating.. possibly, but it's sold millions upon million in products...So if it ain't broke...

The one thing I know is I'd take the owners retirement over mine any day.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom