Warn M12 (etc) solenoid/motor functionality? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I want to understand exactly what is happening with the solenoids and motor when winching in and out.
What is the path of current for both the logic side and the load side through the solenoids and to the motor?
What is happening in the motor: A, F1, F2 and G and INSIDE the motor?

I know I don't NEED to know to make it work i just want to better understand.

Might there be a neat visual explanation out there like the ones explaining diffs & transmissions etc? (I'm a visual guy!)

mark

The winch motor is a series motor. It has an armature winding (terminal A to Ground) and a field winding (terminal F1 to F2) that is connected in series with the armature winding. The direction of rotation is based on direction of current flow through the field winding in relation to the armature winding. In winches, the controller swaps direction of current flow through the field winding. Direction of current flow through the armature doesn't change. In one direction, current flow is F1 to F2 to A (and ground). Reverse direction is F2 to F1 to A (and ground).

I don't know what you have for a control on an M12, but a standard Warn 4-solenoid control uses two solenoids for each direction. By swapping solenoid pairs, the controller reverses the direction of current flow through the field winding.

Last edited:
Found this... it helps with my solenoid wiring understanding...

wiring schematic copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom