Nissan Safari (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I have a 1992 Nissan Safari. After I have used the 4X4 and have gone back into 2 wheel drive there is a grinding sound when I drive. When I slow down to about 5 kms it feels like something catches and the grinding sound stops, but when I accelerate again the grinding sound come back. Anyone got any ideas of what is causing this?

You'll need to identify the location of the grinding, i.e. diffs, prop shafts/unijoints, transfer case, axles or hubs.

My 1st guess would be a damaged free wheeling hub assuming you have them on the front end.

Ask a mate to run along or bike alongside the vehicle to listen and identify the location of the grinding sound.

cheers,
george.

Auto hubs and the wrong oil in the tcase. Gear oil is too thick. It engage the prop shaft as if you put it into 4wd and then engages the auto hubs.

You can modify the auto hubs to be completely manual if the bits inside aren't already broken up. Using transmissions fluid in the Tcase will also fix this problem. That was Nissan's recommendation to technicians. You can also replace the auto hubs with aftermarket manual hubs. That is what I finally did. Put in a set of Superwinch hubs which makes the hubs the weakest link in the drivetrain. I am fine with that. It takes minutes to replace a hub and is relatively inexpensive compared to any other item in the drivetrain.