Duracell Group 31 Marine AGM battery???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done research through the search function and am still uncertain as to what battery I need for my '06 LC. It looks like there is good feed back for the Duracell Group 31 Marine AGM battery, but when I called BatteriePlus, they told me that it was a deep cycle battery and not made to use to start cars. What am I missing here?

The salesperson at the store was wrong. They are fine as a starting battery. They work well and will not be damaged when used as a starting battery. The other way around does not work; you can't use a battery designed only for starting as a deep cycle battery (at least not for very long!). Go to the Duracell site if you want to read about uses of their batteries. Keep in mind the Duracell group 31 is not a direct replacement for the 27F size that is OEM. You will need some mods to the tray, holder, and cable length to fit a group 31 in there. And, if you really only need a starting battery, the Toyota OEM is hard to beat for price and warranty. i have a fairly heavy use of my electrical system when towing and with a Waeco refrigerator, so the deep cycle battery made sense for me.

Exactly what I needed Sandroad. Thank you. I have a fridge that I use when down south, but have had great luck with the solar charger keeping the battery up to snuff. I think I will go with your advice and just get a Toyota OEM.

I have read and read so I'm sorry to resurrect this post but I am in the same situation. I need a new battery but I do not want to run two separate ones, at least not yet as I will have a fridge, lights, etc. Can I use this one deep cycle battery as a starting battery as well, or would there be drawbacks? The only thing I heard is that our alternator might slightly under charge it to the max capacity and therefore I would need a solar charger or another charger to keep it topped up? The CCAs is 800 so it should be plenty. Here it is: Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 31) - Sam's Club Thanks

I have read and read so I'm sorry to resurrect this post but I am in the same situation. I need a new battery but I do not want to run two separate ones, at least not yet as I will have a fridge, lights, etc. Can I use this one deep cycle battery as a starting battery as well, or would there be drawbacks? The only thing I heard is that our alternator might slightly under charge it to the max capacity and therefore I would need a solar charger or another charger to keep it topped up? The CCAs is 800 so it should be plenty. Here it is: Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 31) - Sam's Club Thanks

Or has anyone bought this battery from Batt + Blubs? SLI31DTMAGMDC - Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Deep Cycle Battery for Deep Cycle BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs

ODYSSEY Batteries - Find a Battery

This battery is actually advertised for both deep cycle and starting and if properly maintained will last 4x longer than a conventional battery. I use them for testing emergency vehicle automotive applications at work. expensive yes, but worth every penny. Auto zone can have one for you in less than a week (took them 1 day for mine). Also. you'll need to order a spacer from odyssey. I recommend auto zone because they have an awesome warranty and i have used and abused it, still no questions asked!

I picked up the Ultra Platinum group 31 recently to replace the Sears Diehard group 31. The Slee bracket is not compatible. I had to lengthen the wires. Not 100% on my method of attachment but leaning towards a coated lifeline from West Marine.

Yeah I picked one up Friday and will install it today. I will get back with how it went.

Ok, here it is. It is amazing how well she starts up now. I went with the Batteries + Bulbs version as I don't have a Sams membership and for the money difference, I think the 1 extra year of warranty is worth the money. I cut the lip off of the battery tray next to the radiator, but it fits otherwise. Since the J Hook is not long enough, I cut the threads off it and welded them to a thick tent stake which worked perfect. I also had to bend, pound, and pry the battery hold down tray until it fit and it works for now but I will make a new one soon. I lengthened the negative cable and used the threaded post for positive with a copper adapter from home depot also for now.

IMG_1558.jpg

That is a heck of a battery for a cruiser. I believe that battery is most commonly used in tractor/trailer applications. Should provide plenty of juice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom