LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most Lexus dealerships are charging $130 per labor hour and higher for work. The fluid alone is around $100, and there is absolutely no way the tech will charge less than 1 hour of labor to perform a real complete flush of the system. The $330 quote sounds pretty spot on in my opinion. Don’t forget you will pay a minimum of $25 in shop supplies as well as sales tax on top of that. The stealership gets over $100 for an engine oil change, so you know $130 for AHC fluid change/flush is basically impossible!

The labor rate has sky rocketed. In our area Toyota is at $145 a hour. Lexus is $155.00. The fluids are very expensive. I have inquired about what fluid are they using at both dealerships to the service advisor but could not get an answer. I contacted a toyota dealership to price the differential and transfer case fluids. They stated we just use toyota gear oil which is 75/140 synthetic. List price of 21.10 per quart.

I normally use the dealership for maintenance, but that has changed with my LX. I rolled underneath it for a looksee post purchase, found missing armor (oil change plate), missing bolts, and snapped off bolts. The vehicle is a high mile '09 with extensive Lexus dealership records. I don't think it had been to any other mechanics.

For the rate they charge, and the shoddy work observed on 'typical' maintenance, I can just do it myself. After I'm done with the full new ownership PM there won't be any need for dealership unless I have major four or five banana needs. And you can't plan for those, just prevent anyway.

Based on consensus here I went with 75/90 Amsoil Severe, and expect no problems. 75/140 is a super heavy blend. Interesting.

I normally use the dealership for maintenance, but that has changed with my LX. I rolled underneath it for a looksee post purchase, found missing armor (oil change plate), missing bolts, and snapped off bolts. The vehicle is a high mile '09 with extensive Lexus dealership records. I don't think it had been to any other mechanics.

For the rate they charge, and the shoddy work observed on 'typical' maintenance, I can just do it myself. After I'm done with the full new ownership PM there won't be any need for dealership unless I have major four or five banana needs. And you can't plan for those, just prevent anyway.

Based on consensus here I went with 75/90 Amsoil Severe, and expect no problems. 75/140 is a super heavy blend. Interesting.

The 75/140 gear oil/mt fluid part number is 00053-00004 and only available at toyota dealerships in the southeast.

There's no reason for 75/140

For the record: The two liter can 08886-01805 is no longer stocked. The only option is the more expensive 08886-81221 one liter bottle unless you can find the two liter size leftover somewhere. I eventually did, but the shipping price made the one liter the better buy.

The local Toyota dealer offered me the $20.74 retail bottles at $17.82 wholesale and I didn't even ask for a discount. The Lexus dealer, less than three miles away, regretted to inform me that the lowest they could go was $20.74 and could not match the Toyota price. Unbelievable.

I dealt with the same part price issues with Lexus. When it’s time to replace front and rear wipers make sure to order them for a land cruiser not the Lexus. The part numbers are the same on the 2013-2015. You will pay more $ for the exact same wiper if you get it through Lexus.

I think it’s different depending on what year you have. I have a 14 model and mine is a little different than the earlier year models. Bleed all 4 globes and evacuate the entire reservoir tank replacing with new on a 14 model. My reservoir tank is behind rear right wheel house liner, earlier models are under the hood.

08 LX570. So @Darb, you didn't do Accumulator. Earlier in the thread I read someone did all 5 bleeders. Also read, a service manager said not to do the 5th bleeder (accumulator).

:hmm:

I started the job by removing the access panel then power washing the reservoir area to make sure nothing would fall in the port. Power washed all bleeder areas as well, to make sure nothing would fall in my eyes (hate that).
001.JPG

I did bleed/flush the 5th, same dark color as the rest.
003.JPG

Set myself up an IV type drip line, worked pretty good.
013.JPG

Placed an LED drop light on spare tire to make reading level in reservoir much easier.
024.JPG

Once done I torque each bleeder to 73in-lbf then blew-out each with compressed air and installed new bleeder rubber cap. I think 7 to 10 years is about all one can expect of the caps.
026.JPG

Last edited:
Coming up on 60k. I’m super busy right now and was planning on just taking it to the dealer. $1800 for the 60k service... looks like I’all be putting aside a day to spend at the auto hobby shop on base.

60k mike service is Mostly: Oil change, AHC fluid exchange, break fluid flush, differential(s) fluid flush, grease drivelines, tighten frame bolts, and inspect. Oh and I looked at the fine print another $400 for the transmission so $2200.

4C95CDDC-3A49-499E-9F9E-9CF776692DBC.png

Shop around if you have more than one Lexus dealer in your area. First Lex dealer I called I was quoted $1025 here in ATL for the LX570 60k service. Or ala carte the service and get a price for brake system and AHC flush and do the remainder of the check list yourself

I wish I could go to another dealer. We only have one Lexus dealer in AK. And don’t have an independent shop I would trust to do the AHC ( although we do have quite a lot of LXs up here). The next closest Lexus dealer is in Vancouver Canada or Seattle ~2200 miles away.

Driving Anchorage to Seattle is about the same distance as driving Atlanta to Los Angeles.

I don’t have much confidence in our local dealer service department and wouldn’t mind paying for it and much if I’m sure they would do it correctly. so I’ll probably do everything but the transmission flush (unless they have an exchanger in the auto hobby shop) and have the independent guy that works on our Mercedes to do that.

Maybe try a Toyota dealer if there are more of those around. Everything else is the same except the AHC. Also the land cruiser now does not come with AHC but the 100 series used to and most Toyota techs should be able to follow the directions to bleed the system. I get my AHC fluid at my Toyota dealer due to the large price difference vs. Lexus.

Thank you very much great video. I did the 3 diffs and breaks my self at 30k and from what I remember took me under 2 hours. Thanks to the awsome ih8mud community of people I feel pretty comfortable doing the AHC as well. I think I’ll take it as an opportunity for my kids to spend some wrench time since we can do that with our Tesla and that may be what the future holds.

Haha, Alaska problems. Our only real Toyota dealer is attached to the Lexus dealer the others are owned by the same group and extremely small and pretty far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom