Which box to check; LIFE-FLIGHT or SAT PHONE? (1 Viewer)

LIFE FLIGHT Subscription or SAT Phone Connection?

• SAT PHONE, all-day-every-day

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • MEDIC STAT!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We’re getting some back issues of Overland Journal but I want to talk to some old-timers who are taking a break from the trail. Maybe one day I will steal a line from Foucault or Deleuze and submit an essay to the editors at OJ.

First off, because of skill set and experience, the wife and I will be joining TLCA (Toyota Land Cruiser Association, North America). There are other trail-oriented associations that I would join in addition to TLCA as well. I’ll will know more when I know more.

Our objective is for the wife to wander in the existential abyss while I attempt to look outward in the effort to undo the riddle of psychological trauma (I have twice been on life support and am uncertain that I have fared any better since the vents have been disconnected).

Our youngest son, the last child born between us and my only son is coming along. We are the only family each of us has got.

I have found that in life most chit is machine-like. Heading to parts unknown might be the only shot for the family to grow and heal for sometime to come. Regardless all the pieces are on the table, we’re just earnestly trying to make all the pieces fit. Undoubtedly, some portion will fit together exquisitely. Meaning, all of our lives will be enriched or affirmed.

No joke, we are planning a 12mo. run across parts of America. I have at max 24 mo.s to build the rig and contribute to the overall itinerary or divorce papers will be in the offering... but I do not need much motivation for I have long wanted to see or revisit; The Breckenridge Library at Yale, a handful of trails that the TLCA runs along, Pritzker recipient designed buildings, the Guggenheim in Manhattan, and countless other notable expressions of mere men and women.

On the road we will have passive income which should be adequate for the trip but a detriment to our savings. So we cannot screw around at the outset where the build of the 80 is concerned.

We are diverting most of our funds from savings for the slow acquisition of some $20K+ destined for the truck. Incidentally, the very thing I want most for the build is probably the very thing I can least afford... ain’t that the too oft told story. lol.

Budget is uncertain (we estimated that we will depart with a minimum of $6K in savings allotted for fuel reserve), logistics are crude at this point and as such drawn very rough, 2020 seems so far away and to be frank, the shaping or forming a plan is somewhat overwhelming, it is not an easy estimation for lay people. And we all know, time has a funny way of running-out quickly.

I know in my own experience, the line separating triumph from catastrophe has pivoted on matters of seconds and inches. That’s to say, in the real world, in real time there are moments that run head long into the worst possible outcome...

...and in those moments; out on the trail, far from a steady hand when everyone is busted and bruised would another individual stake the life of their child on Life Flight or a SAT Phone?

IMG_7407.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

Last edited:
HAM radio and get licensed...

I'd say both, or if you are up for it get dialed in on HAM radio. I carry one of these in case of emergency:

ACR Electronics ResQLink+ GPS Personal Locator Beacon | REI Co-op

Oh and don't go crazy on the build. In stock form the 80 can do nearly anything you ask of it. I'd focus on PM, some 287/75/16 tires and the basics rather than a major "build".

Have fun!

ewillis, absolutely. I see that you are correct and for all my familiarity with the forum I utterly overlooked specific threads. Thanks for the heads-up, I will start poking around in there. Thank you.

ZackR Oh for sure. Believe me, sometimes I get so frustrated that I think the best thing to do is throw some of LandCruiserPhil’s disconnects on the rig, mount a set of tires, grab the cooler and be done with it. All of it is absurd really.

Take care.

Unless you plan to do "serious" wheeling, just get a Roof Top Tent, a 12V fridge and get on the road.

A good truck mounted HAM and a list of all the repeaters you'll be travelling near should be enough to get help on the way fast if needed.

I agree with some of the above regarding keep your build simple; It's very easy if you spend any time on this forum to get starry eyed regarding lift kits and bumpers and on-board air and all of the other "fun and fancy" stuff. I've carried some fairly ridiculous loads on Yakima rooftop gear (Q-towers on the cab and 1A towers back on the canopy of my old Tundra) There are a lot of sources for used Yakima stuff, and unless you are dead set on a rooftop tent, get a 4 cross bar system going and don't look back.

MrMikeyG Yeah, I am a straight capitalist, almost ashamed to admit it these days.

I spent a dozen years working in various capacities at Toyota/Lexus/BMW. Which is ironic because the automobile does not move me in some blatant sense...to be frank, I am rather uninterested in cars.

As to the point; what it all boils down to is just this: I just have a ton of admiration for many in the aftermarket community. Any number of them have earnestly set-out to offer something.

With some of these guys/gals, they have effectively risked everything on their little gamble.

They have done something, built something... for me that is noble.

In my life I have a tendency to break chit around me.

In other words, I bought into a ‘feeling’ that in a lot of cases there is a benefit, improvement of an application or more generally an ease of use.

And for that, I do not paying an otherwise stupid amount of money on something that is utterly disposable.

Obviously, safety is on all of our minds right up to that very moment immediately prior to our sense of adventure taking flight.

I am a parent of five children, three of which are in university or college and one, the youngest in the bunch, I want to start anew that in our family our sense of community extends well beyond the barriers of the neighborhood of whatever particular community we happen to reside.

In other words, I identify with a few of these guys that happen to offer some pretty expensive gear...

...at 43yo I am coming to finally know what makes me tick and I can say I begrudge no build or vendor per se because chances are if I know about them than chances are they are pretty damn good at what they do, in fact, I dare say; many of them are artists who at some point, they risked everything and built something.

Last edited:
Garmin Inreach works via Sat, so will work anywhere (essentially, assuming you are not going to the pole). And since it has an SOS function + text, you can arrange for help. But since the help might not be free, life flight or similar makes sense. Inreach has a medical evac insurance program which you can sign up for. And the Inreach has a reasonable off-line gps navigation capability when connected via blue tooth to an android or apple phone/tablet. Great system (not affiliated). Wish you luck and joy on the trip.

The In Reach devices are good but come with subscription fees. Personal locator beacons (PLBs) are basically small Epurbs that can be had for $200 or there about. They are very reliable, have long shelf lives, are small and easy to carry, work anywhere with no service fees and get help coming. It’s what we use in Alaska, on sea, road or bush. They have excellent track records. Sat phones are expensive to operate and for mainland U.S. probably overkill. My wife and I carry insurance for three air medivac companies. We have no cardiologist in town and at my age, they tend to medivac fast, without asking and they send you on which ever outfit is available to go. At $50K to 100K for a flight to Seattle, it’s not worth taking the chance. Our cost is about $150 to $200 for two years per company I remember right, for the whole household. It is regional to the Northwest only though. I don’t know what other offerings are available down south.

I’m going to be the voice of a guy with a 22’ boat I’ve gone stupid places & tide waves with, even when a global sat phone was prior to the Iridium - we carrried a bag/sat line & a inflatable raft on top of early gen EPRB’s.

I’d want 2-way communication like HAM - confirm you have EMS services incoming. i learned the hard way when my Dad had a real bad problem in flatlands of E WA back in ~1988 & we had to send a runner on a dirtbike back to get a Spokane Lifeflight out to him.
He’s a gorilla-shaped man (no joke), and he compound broke bones that scared the rest of our family. He was a a$$ kicker when in Vietnam.

But you’re staying on land, and my other uncle is a huge name in the PNW for saltwater salmon hookups and boating, and he set me up on the idea of keeping a current gen SAT phone & a raft with EPRB’s & 2 survival suits.

That’s my family, I carry what my Dad & uncle tell me.