rear locker light blinking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my '99, when I engage and follow the steps for the factory rear locker, the light on the dash doesn't stop blinking. Is the locker not working or is it just the light being weird?
Thanks

Do you have the transfer case in low gear? Must be in L

Light turns solid when it's locked. Depending on who you bought your truck from, the rear and center lockers may never have been used. Find a dirt lot, put the t-case in low, lock the rear, and turn a wide circle or S. The differentiation can help line things up and get the locker to engage.

I had the transfer case in Low gear. When I originally bought the truck, my dad and I tested it on some loose dirt to see if it worked. We also tested it on a bit of trail a month ago. Didnt seem like it was engaged.

Follow this steps to verify operation and troubleshooting.

1- On a loose surface engage Low range and turn the rear locker on.

2- Drive in "S" shape, this method will alling the diff in order for the locker to engage.

3- If the locker did not engage while doing the last procedure, get someone to jump in the vehicle and engage the locker while the vehicle is parked (ignition on, low range engaged) and listen if the locker actuator is operating.

4- If is not operating remove the right rear wheel and inspect the wiring harness from the locker actuator to the front of the vehicle. It is very common for the harness to rub against the frame close to the muffler and cause failures (happened to me)

5- If the wiring harness is in good condition it is time to remove the locker actuator and clean it up (the by-directional on my LX was completely seized unto the cover, cleaned and lubed all components after)

difflock_big.jpg

If rebuilding and cleaning is necessary follow this post

rear e-locker actuator rebuild pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom