Promac adapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week, my transmission started letting a significant amount of oil out on to the driveway. Seeing as the transfer case was leaking out of both outputs, I decided to pull the transfer and check the transmission gasket. I have what I believe is a Promac adapter plate between the SM465 and my 3 speed transfer case.
AC3BACC5-655D-4C37-8C07-CA1E1F9C4B73.jpeg
20116805-8BA9-4C6D-9182-A94764F56B30.jpeg

My question is should I have an addition seal in the idler(?) shaft pocket behind the tranny? With the orientation of the above photo, it would be the left pocket on the adapter. I think I found one for the idler shaft and it has me wondering if I failed to put it in when I originally put them together.

Your adapter plate functions essentially the same as the on on the 74-80 H42, which does not use any seals. As long as the plate is properly sealed to the transmission and the transfer case, the only remaining way oil can leave is past the input seal of the t-case, or down the splines.

@RAGINGMATT posted a couple of weeks ago about a factory sealant he recommends for sealing the splines; I would go with that.

Even though it is a Toyota product, I don’t think it will reject your GM trans.;)

On Auto Tranny conversions we use to switch the transfer-case input oil seal around with open side of seal (spring showing) towards the tranny, this helped keep the auto tranny fluid in the tranny. Also, where transfer-case input bearing presses up against transfer-case input bearing we use to lay a ring of silicone glue to prevent tranny oil from seeping through the bearing, and through the input shaft/gear splines into the transfer-case..

Thanks for the info guys. For my own sake, does anyone remember these adapters? I was on the LCML back around 2000 , when I did the conversion. I remember I bought this unit on recommendation from the list. I don’t know for sure this was a Promac. I remember not wanting the AA adapter due to the length.

I don't recall that adapter...before my cruiser addiction, but there are multiple favors out there that all intend to do the same thing. Some were steel and some aluminum. I have a newer rendition circa 2014 production run. Works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom