Replacing rotors/pads, do front rotors need to be resealed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, hope everyone is well. This might be SQOTD but I'll replacing the pads/rotors in my 200 in a few weeks and the dealership gave me a quote of $899 for the front and $499 for the rear...they said the front is more because they have to seal it due to the 4wd system. I'm researching this, does anyone have any additional insight into what goes into resealing it?

Thanks very much in advance

That was on the 100 series and older. The 200 series rotors just slip on and the hub does not need to be taken apart and resealed. Front and rears should not take more than an hour per axle. I would question your service adviser to see how fast he can backtrack. Also oem rotors are roughly about $100 a piece and each set of pads is about another $100 just to give you some ball park figures to compare.

The OEM Toyota brand parts (4 rotors plus front/rear pads) would cost a total of $476 on Amazon, with free shipping. That means your dealer is asking close $1000 in labor for a job that would have the vehicle up on the rack for maybe a couple hours. Wow! Is there another dealer reasonably close by that could do the brakes for hopefully about half of the quote you got?

The OEM Toyota brand parts (4 rotors plus front/rear pads) would cost a total of $476 on Amazon, with free shipping. That means your dealer is asking close $1000 in labor for a job that would have the vehicle up on the rack for maybe a couple hours. Wow! Is there another dealer reasonably close by that could do the brakes for hopefully about half of the quote you got?

This is whereI appreciate my local Toyota service guy. He sends me elsewhere when he knows Toyota will charge me a mint. I found my local brake shop through my Toyota guy.

OP, which dealership is this? Also mind me asking, how did you know your rotors need replacement?

Thanks for the replies, that service advisor at Michael's Toyota in Bellevue was totally off-base. Bought my 200 last summer w/ 124K miles and put 20K miles on it since. My brakes pulsated quite a bit, the rotors were visually worn and it appears the front/rear pads were done at different times by the previous owner. I made the call to just replace everything. I bought a PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport brake kit for $450 out the door and I get a few hours away from the kids with my friend who volunteered on the install. Who could ask for anything more :)

Last edited:
Good call, aside from the few hours time the brakes on the 200 are straightforward. $1000 for more go anywhere toys!

Consider new front hubs? For only four more bolts and 10 seconds with a puller you can have a completely smooth and quiet front. . .

I installed the PowerStops, great brakes and like others said, rotors just slide on super easy.

A couple tips, the two caliper bolts can be hard to break, so try to loosen them before you lift to avoid rocking the vehicle while it's up on jack. Otherwise jack stands would be good to have. Also, make sure you have a zip-tie or shoe lace to tie the caliper to the vehicle once you unbolt it, don't let it hang from the brake line.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Back rotors were pretty much bonded to the axle, while the fronts just slid off. Did it in under 2 hours. I'll miss the pulsating foot massage every time I applied brake, but love my new setup. I don't really care if the slotted rotors have a shorter lifespan, they look better IMHO...but you really have to look at the rotors to even notice.

I installed the PowerStops, great brakes and like others said, rotors just slide on super easy.

A couple tips, the two caliper bolts can be hard to break, so try to loosen them before you lift to avoid rocking the vehicle while it's up on jack. Otherwise jack stands would be good to have. Also, make sure you have a zip-tie or shoe lace to tie the caliper to the vehicle once you unbolt it, don't let it hang from the brake line.
Good advice on loosening the caliper bolts first. I went exotic and made a couple of caliper hooks from a coat hanger. :)

Thanks for the replies, that service advisor at Michael's Toyota in Bellevue was totally off-base. Bought my 200 last summer w/ 124K miles and put 20K miles on it since. My brakes pulsated quite a bit, the rotors were visually worn and it appears the front/rear pads were done at different times by the previous owner. I made the call to just replace everything. I bought a PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport brake kit for $450 out the door and I get a few hours away from the kids with my friend who volunteered on the install. Who could ask for anything more :)

How has the PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport brake kit held up? Have you been happy with it?

I went exotic and made a couple of caliper hooks from a coat hanger. :)

Wow, great idea! You should take that on Shark Tank! Put them on eBay as a new SST...

:cool:

UT Lexus dealer quoted $1088 for front and rear rotor and pad replacement. Toyota was $775. Lexus also offered pads and resurface front and rear for $650. Toyota dealer full replace for the win but they won’t call me back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom