Fan Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning on the way into work the fan on my 100 sounded like it was an airplane trying to take off. Meaning the RPM of the fan directly correlated with the RPM of the engine and pushing what sounds like a ton of air. Seems to only occur when going from a dead stop and accelerating. I would say anywhere from 800 to 2500 RPM. This afternoon when I went to lunch it did the same thing. Temp of the engine is fine. I have searched on MUD and it seems this could be a fan clutch issue. I say that because some described similar experiences. Am I on the right track? If that is the issue can I drive the 100 like this until the weekend, when I will have a chance to really take a look at it? Otherwise the 100 drives fine without any issue. In never drive fast and really don't take the 100 above 2500 RPM. When I am on the highway I don't hear anything out of the ordinary at all. This only occurs really under acceleration. I really appreciate the ideas and insight guys.

Look at your fan bracket. The bearing in there goes bad (I think I described that right)

Look at your fan bracket. The bearing in there goes bad (I think I described that right)
Meatball its good to hear from you brother!!

If the fan bracket bearing went bad, fan would not turn.

Fan clutch is most likely bad.

This is what I was thinking. That being the case is it safe to dive until a new Fan clutch arrives and is replaced this weekend?

Exactly what caused my fan issues. When the fan bracket bearings were failing on my truck, it made a horrific screeching noise but fan kept going. Fan clutch was removed and determined to not be the cause. Replacing the fan bracket fixed my issue

Okay I have two follow questions:

1) What is the proper way to test to see if the clutch is indeed toast? I have seen some on here say you try to move the fan when the engine is warm (turned off of course). Others say that does not work. I have tried that and mine does move, but with resistance. I have also seen someone else suggest using a magazine and try to hold the blades still while trying to start the engine. Has anyone tried this method? Just want to make sure I am doing this properly.

2) is there any way to test the fan bracket bearing while the fan and clutch are still on? FWIW I have not had any noises or squealing that I have heard in the past when other idler bearings gone out in other Toyota's. That said it is just a case that if I am in there I might as well replace the bracket as proper PM?

Honestly I saw screw and just replace it all at once, that's what I did. Then you know it's all good to go. If I recall the parts we not too much $$$

If you are going to do the fan bracket, you might as well do the serpentine belt tensioner, the serpentine idler pulley, too, since they have to come off to do the fan bracket.

I started doing my fan bracket, realized I was 3/4 of the way to a timing belt change, so I did it all in one shot. I just can't put old wear parts back on when I do a job. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom