Market for GX with cosmetic damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoosier Daddy

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck was pummeled with large hail 2 weeks ago. I finally managed to get an estimate on it yesterday. No official word from the insurance company yet, but I am pretty sure it won't be totalled. Now I'm trying to figure out how to proceed.

Hood and roof skin can't be fixed with PDR, but the side panels can, I believe. Hood and roof skin will need to be replaced if they are going to be fixed.

I see my options as:

1. Fix it, drive it, go on with life. I absolutely loved this truck prior to the damage, but I worry that my perfectionism will never be satisfied by a repair. Plus, the local body shops are now booking into December 2019. Yes, 2019.
2. Fix it, sell it, get a LX470. I'm really on fire for a 100 series lately.
3. Take the insurance check, spend it on hookers and blow, and spend the next year of Sundays doing amateur PDR in my garage.
4. Sell it/trade it as-is, and move on to the LX.

So option number 4 raises the question of how much market there is for a pimple-faced GX. How cheap would it need to be before someone would be interested in it? The truck was nearly pristine and highly maintained prior to the hail, so it isn't exactly the ideal beater. But then I guess someone less obsessive than me could buy it at a big discount and have a really solid off-roader they don't mind scratching up. Is that a realistic idea?

Rational thoughts and advice are welcomed.

Details to aid the discussion - black '09 with 125k miles, Bilstein 6112s in the front and remote reservoir shocks in the rear, still on airbags, with zero mechanical or maintenance needs. Completely rust-free and no dash cracks. Assume $1500 would cover the PDR for the sides (roof and hood not included). Number of dings in hood = 90, some rather large. Number of dings in roof = around 200, mostly small-medium, some rather large. Dings on side = maybe 50, mostly small, only one large one.

My vote: Amateur PDR the sides (save the big dents for the body shop in 2019), buy a new hood and get a roof rack platform to cover the roof and then proceed to make it rain at your local Gentlemen's Club.

Unless the paint was damaged on the roof or you can see the dents through the headliner I don't think I would do much about it now- how often do you look at your roof?

Or maybe option 5? - take the insurance money, spend a little bit on hookers and blow, pay to get the one big ding removed from the door (it's the one that bothers me most), and spend my weekends doing amateur PDR (which I actually enjoy) on the rest of the truck. The goal would be to reach "passable". Then put some bigger tires on it, get some sliders, and take it off road with the understanding it will never have to be perfect again.

I guess this option depends on whether I feel like I would personally buy my truck in the shape it's in, for the amount of money left over between fixed value and what the insurance company pays me. I need to think about this.

Option 6 - Paint it desert camo. Done.

Last edited:
My vote: Amateur PDR the sides (save the big dents for the body shop in 2019), buy a new hood and get a roof rack platform to cover the roof and then proceed to make it rain at your local Gentlemen's Club.

Unless the paint was damaged on the roof or you can see the dents through the headliner I don't think I would do much about it now- how often do you look at your roof?

That's solid advice. I hadn't considered just replacing the hood.

The paint is cracked in one place on the hood and one place on the roof. Given the overall state of those two panels, a liberal dab of touch up paint probably won't be noticed.

My wife’s RX350 was in a similar situation. I’d hoped that the insurance co. would total it as we were disgusted with the amount of damage. Unfortunately they didn’t. I shopped around for awhile and until I found a shop that was willing to repaint the entire vehicle. They replaced the hood and rear gate and repaired the roof. They pulled the dents in the doors and fenders, repaired the big dents and repainted the entire vehicle. They really did a nice job and we kept it for a few years more with no noticeable issues.
TBH we could never get over the work being done so decided to trade it before any of the body work started to show itself.

I guess our logic was to have the vehicle repaired to the best level possible in order to keep the value of it as high as possible. I couldn’t see letting it go and taking a big loss so we had it repaired and pretty much pulled book value out of it in the end.

If you have the know-how of doing PDR, I would take the insurance payment, do the PDR myself and use the money toward some mods or maintenance.

where are the pics!

I would take the insurance check. Replace the hood and do some PDR. Then I would tear up the trails not giving a s*** because its no longer sacred.

I have photos but they don't show the dents well. Not impressive visually, but every X is a ding/dent. 356 in total.
20180821_170026.jpg
20180821_170011.jpg
20180821_170018.jpg
v

Too soon to ask for the front passenger side roof rack cover :)

Take the insurance check, don’t fix anything, wheel it and keep it forever?

You’ve just been granted freedom from worrying about the appearance of your vehicle ever again. Embrace it.

I agree with BlueCruiser84.

Just because of this I keep thinking to get this crazy car tent. Plus it would make cruising Moab way cooler . At least temperature wise.

Main question, do you want to stay in the GX or do you want to move into the LX? Answer that first then go from there.

If you live the GX and want to stay in it, replace the hood, touch up the cracked spot on roof and use the insurance money to buy a roof rack, bumper and tires, etc. and enjoy the hell out of it.

If you are really looking to move into a LX, take the ins. money and sell the GX at a discounted price and use that to get your LX.

Really comes down to which platform you want to be in for the long haul. Settle that and then run from there.

Good advice all around. Thanks!

Update 1: The insurance company has said for sure they won't total it.

Update 2: Wife said no hookers. Jury is still out on the cocaine part.

Update 3: I'm going to put it up for sale as-is. I have an appointment at the body shop next Friday (an hour out of town) and will proceed with fixing it if there is no interest in the next week and a half. I'll probably sell it after that.

I already have one cosmetically challenged GX or I would fly out and drive it home!

Just sold it as-is for $10k in less than 24 hours. Had lots of interest. Shoulda asked more, but I felt that was fair. Full retail minus insurance payout led to the 10k figure, so I didn't lose any money on it.

So, yes, there is a market for blemished cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom