Lift advice for 35" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after having spent the last two weeks using the search button on this forum, I have still come up empty handed (or maybe it's just more confused from so much info). Here's the deal: I have a 75 FJ40 350 SBC, front winch, heavy full roll cage, heavy rear bumper/swing out tire rack/3 Jerry cans, rear aux fuel tank, Rancho 43033 front springs w/ 2-3/4" eye-eye shackles, Rancho 43133 rear springs w/ 4-1/4" eye-eye shackles and 33-12.50-15 Toyo Mud's. Rear fenders are trimmed with Bushwacker flares.

The lift was installed by PO and was not driven much at all. The rig handles excellent (for a TLC) on the road as a daily driver but seems kinda harsh off road. I haven't had the chance to try flexing yet because I have a loud banging noise from underneath somewhere that I am still trying to find (possibly suspecting that the military wrap may be hitting the spring perch up front because of such short shackles in the front....still investigating).

My issue is that I think the rig sits to low for what I would like it to and I would love to clear 35's. I don't want to do a SOA. I called Cool Cruisers today and they said that their 4" lift would not clear 35's. I believe the Rancho lift is 2.5" but not sure since it's no longer available.

So what would be a good lift to get those 35's under there and to give the machine the beast look (but not the monster truck look). It will be used as a daily but I will wheel it on the weekends and still want some good flex, but it's not a rock crawler.

Any ideas or suggestions.....I'm listening....

20180805_114517.jpg
20180731_175749.jpg
20170315_202641.jpg
20170315_202626.jpg

I must say, I like the look of your rig as is with the big meats stuffed in there. Of course that is just a visceral take on your rig and does not take into account your need for/the benefit of, running 35s.

I'm running 4inch HFS Springs and slightly longer than stock shackles. Clears my 35s well and allows plenty of flex.

I'm running 4inch HFS Springs and slightly longer than stock shackles. Clears my 35s well and allows plenty of flex.

Well they said it wouldn't fit when I talked to them. They told me to call Ressurection LC.
Do you have any pics (preferably before and after)?

Still
looking for more info, but on the bright side, I fixed my clunking sound.
20180821_205907.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4” of lift- 2.5 OME and shackle reversal(front) and 1.5” shackles in front
BD079C75-C16A-4D43-91D7-D1D8EFC1BF28.jpeg
66009CCB-392B-4D45-8986-EFBA69691E42.jpeg
I like the ride, not overly stiff and good road manners. The whole front end is new, so no slop. Cruises 65-70mph no problem and crawls pretty well. I’m probably going to move the rear axle back an inch, as I’m a bit close in the wheel well. It honestly has only kissed the fender 1 or 2 times.
Not to start a war, but I like the SR in front. It handles well on the street and I don’t have the negatives of springs with a ton of lift. I can drive with one hand on the wheel and it doesn’t wonder. SR definitely has some drawbacks, but properly installed, it has advantages too.

I'm in the same boat as you... looking to upgrade to a 4" lift, keeping SUA, no SR, no fender trimming and desire 35" tires.
Tough Order To Fill!!!
My PO installed Spector's Offroad 2" lift kit. According to Spector, all I need is longer shackles (and shims) to upgrade to their 4" lift setup.
AND they state that 35" tires will fit for this setup.
---But I'm having some doubts about this--- I hope they are right...

35" tires on SUA require less (more?) offset wheels or spacers in the front to push the tire further away from the body when turning and tall bumpstops at all four corners to limit up travel into the fenders.

Most guys I know tried all this, hated the harsh ride and wheel travel limitations, and went SOA with their old stock springs.

YMMV

Seems like around 5" is going to be your minimum for clearing 35's. I would probably go with an adjusted leaf spring/shackle combo to get there.

I'm in the same boat as you... looking to upgrade to a 4" lift, keeping SUA, no SR, no fender trimming and desire 35" tires.
Tough Order To Fill!!!
My PO installed Spector's Offroad 2" lift kit. According to Spector, all I need is longer shackles (and shims) to upgrade to their 4" lift setup.
AND they state that 35" tires will fit for this setup.
---But I'm having some doubts about this--- I hope they are right...
I wouldn’t say SR is for everyone, but I like it. I have the 2.5 OME front and rear and like it with the extended shackles in back. I don’t have any experience with spectors system.
I will be adjusting the wheelbase this winter. It kiss the leading edge ever so lightly. I don’t want more lift, so I’ll figure out mine somehow. I’ll be testing it this week in Moab, so I’ll have a better idea then.

I'm sitting on a 4" Skyjacker, SUA, extended shackles in the rear 4 3/4" eye to eye, and I am sure I can fit 35"s under my 40. I was staring at it this weekend while in the mountains, thinking, man, I need bigger tires.

I currently am packing 33"s under the 40.

I'm sitting on a 4" Skyjacker, SUA, extended shackles in the rear 4 3/4" eye to eye, and I am sure I can fit 35"s under my 40. I was staring at it this weekend while in the mountains, thinking, man, I need bigger tires.

I currently am packing 33"s under the 40.
Did you trim your rear fenders??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom