Front wheel fell off, need help figuring out what parts to replace 93 FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving down the highway and my front driverside wheel comes off, recovered the wheel and there doesn't seem to be significant damage to the rotor. One of the lug bolts completely sheared off so I need to replace whatever that plate is (I can't figure out where to find it). Also the shield like plate that is on the inner side of the rotor was what hit the ground and covered most of the damage. I attached a few images with the parts circled, any advice on what these parts are, where to find them, or repairs would be appreciated!

The backing plate can be mangle/bent to clear the rotor, or replaced, I would replace all 6 lug nuts and studs.

@slow95z or @arcteryx will have replacement parts for those that you don't want new.

All new studs/nuts
New (used) backing plate
New brake rotor
New (used) drive plate end cap (if it's missing)
New wheel

Lenny,

I agree with the other guys. Take this opportunity to do some maintenance/upgrades/rebuild. I just did this project recently and in the midsts of rebuilding the rear. I would also suggest doing both driver and passenger side. The reason I suggest this is (1) because the Hub Bolt sheared off and (2) because of the Dust Cover (the bent backing in the first, second, and third pics). Taking off the Dust Cover takes you all the way back to the Steering Knuckle where you might as well take it back to the Front Axle Oil Seal and inspect/re-grease the Front Axle Shaft & Birfield Joints and everything in between. Below are the two part numbers you asked for, as well as some pics from a 1997 Service Manual and one from my recent build of this exact component.

Dust Cover
47703 (RH): Part #: 47781-60100
47704 (LH): Part #:47782-60100

Hub Bolts
43502B: Part #: 90942-02049

As for where to get these parts, thats up to you. I'm a purist (except when it it comes to upgrades/fabrication builds), and go strictly Toyota; thats my suggestion for the parts listed above. Let me know if you need anymore info; happy to help. Let us know how it goes; pics too!

upload_2018-8-20_17-18-12.jpeg

upload_2018-8-20_17-18-51.jpeg

MRALD Build: Builds - MRALD: 1997 FZJ80 Project

Front Axle Hubs - Rebuilt & Upgraded
upload_2018-8-20_17-22-0.jpeg

Holy crap. Glad you're ok

This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've seen this happen on mud.

I'm thinking this is a PM I'll be doing soon

Buzzkill but glad that nobody was hurt. Time for a knuckle rebuild, dust shield, wheel, rotor, etc... Do it right the first time and check the knuckle studs to avoid a future occurrence.

Man that sucks. I do have used parts and could ship as soon as tomorrow but you will need to go half way tink the axle. At that point you might as well do the knuckle job fully.

Yikes. I'm gonna go check my nuts right now!

Wow you are so lucky you didn't completely lose control of the vehicle. I'd hate to have something disastrous break while doing 80+ kph on any roads here and then have to try and keep control. Do you know why the wheel came off? A stud breaking on it's own shouldn't be enough. Ensure the cause was identified so it can be addressed if necessary.

Did your quarter panel make it? I’ve also noticed I’ve acquired a leaky windshield since I had the same wheel sheer all 6 lugs this June. I already had new birfs/seals/rotors for an axle service, and it’s been right as rain since.

I found the truck surprisingly stable on three wheels, not that I ever want to repeat that fiasco. Glad your safe.

So, when was the last time someone touched the lug nuts? I see 4 reasonable looking studs (non-stripped threads from your pic). There's a bit more history to this 'event' than the wheel just fell off :)

And yes, I'd be replacing all 6 studs at a bare minimum and correct lug nuts for the wheels you have. And using a torque wrench at the correct setting.

And yeah, glad you and the other folk on the road are all safe.

cheers,
george. (edit, dumb typos)

Last edited:
... There's a bit more history to this 'event' than the wheel just fell off :)

Agree, have seen this before. Five almost untouched studs and one cleanly snapped, very little trauma to the hub. This speaks to an event that happened quickly, it didn't crunch around while the lugs unscrewed. This happens when there is a locking lug and the rest are removed, the last stud breaks and the wheel falls off. At any rate, it's likely there was only one nut at the time of the event.

BTDT twice.
I lost the front left wheel off two separate cruisers, for two different reasons.

Once at 50mph, once at 75mph.

First one on my HDJ81 was about 30 miles after a tyre shop repaired a tyre for me. The only thing unusual I could see was that they greased wheel studs. Happened at 50mph as I turned onto a motorway.

Second was my HZJ105, again about 30miles after I had changed steel rims back to alloy after a weekend of wheeling and didn't think to clean a fine layer of dried mud off the hub. I think the mud wore away, and wheel nuts lost their torque.
Happened at 75 on a motorway, the wheel bounced over a rail, down an embankment, across a road used heavily by motorcyclists, and went 1/4 mile into the bush.

On both mine, all the studs were in tact. 1st time, I walked back along the road and found a couple of the wheel nuts. Both times, I robbed wheel nuts of other wheels to get me home.
Both times I ended up with a large flat spot ground onto the edge of the rotor, and dust guard.
After the first event, I've been anal about using a torque wrench to torque wheel nuts.

I've heard and read about numerous cases, seems to often be the front left

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom