2f carb help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '85 fj60, rebuilt and desmogged, ran great for a while after rerouting some vacuum lines and recurving dizzy. Now, it starts, and idles, but if I drive it, in dies when getting into 3rd gear, going for fourth. It idles with very little fuel in filter, and sight glass maintains. If I rev it, sight glass loses fuel. When it shuts off, fuel filter fills all the way back up and sight glass comes back to normal. Truck was desmogged before I bought it, I rebuilt engine (#6 cylinder ate the rings) and head but don't know if carb was rebuilt for desmog or not by PO. Probably not, because dizzy needed recurve. It has a new filter and pump, and no clogs to carb from tank. I bought some bigger jets, thinking I could do a carb rebuild for the desmog, but have not installed because I think they would drain float bowl faster. I've had the air horn off, checked float and everthing, all appears normal and clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. CHEERS!

sounds like the float needle needs some love, maybe the spring is in crooked.

Does your gas tank whoosh bigtime when opened? try pulling hoses to charcoal cannister, spray in some cleaner, and switch the hoses for a week. Look where the purge hose goes into the frame, and make sure it isnt leaking fuel there. there is a known bad valve in the cannisters, and sometimes a bit o the WD will free it up...

When was the carb last rebuilt, and was it done by a trusted source?

Have you checked to make sure the accelerator pump is working properly in the carb?

Have their been any other changes since it last "ran great," like sitting for a long time, changes to components in the engine compartment, etc?

Does your gas tank whoosh bigtime when opened? try pulling hoses to charcoal cannister, spray in some cleaner, and switch the hoses for a week. Look where the purge hose goes into the frame, and make sure it isnt leaking fuel there. there is a known bad valve in the cannisters, and sometimes a bit o the WD will free it up...

No whoosh, in or out... no fuel out the bottom of canister, but can't hurt to spray her down anyway, definitely will pay attention to the needle valve when I rebuild it, I just took it off to do so, sending a spare carb and dizzy to Jim for his special touch...was hoping someone would just say " just tap it with a hammer, realy hard"

Have you checked to make sure the accelerator pump is working properly in the carb?

Have their been any other changes since it last "ran great," like sitting for a long time, changes to components in the

Have their been any other changes since it last "ran great," like sitting for a long time, changes to components in the engine compartment, etc?

Not sure on rebuild, but accelerator pump squirts. Has not sat or had anything done since it last ran great, except diagnosing. Wondering if it's an air fuel mix problem, only a turn and a half out, yep, it smells a little rich, but I thought that was due to the desmogging.

The description you provided points to inadequate fuel supply into the carb float bowl.
Verify the fuel intake pipe in the tank isn't clogged. Remove the gas cap and blow LOW PRESSURE air back through the fuel line that feeds into the fuel filter -- back into the tank.

Verify that the fuel line going from the tank to the fuel filter isn't sucking air due to a poor connection. The fuel pump works by pulling fuel from the tank. If there's a leak, it'll pull air too. That might explain why your fuel filter is always full of air and during high demand the fuel pump can't suck enough fuel (cuz it's sucking air too. (Maybe).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom