FJ40 1977 running board fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm looking to fit my running boards to the FJ40. I think the PO put a new tub on it, before I bought it as an unfinished project. I just had the running boards restored professionally (welded and painted) - they look really nice.

However when I look at the rockers, there's no way to fit them into the rocker. I see that I can bolt into the front fender, and onto the support outrigger, but there are no bolt holes in the rocker itself.

1. Do I just measure and drill some holes in the rocker to match the running boards?

2. The metal is thin on the rockers. I was thinking of getting some flat sheet metal from Home Depot and installing it behind the rockers, thereby giving it extra support?

Anyone have any other ideas? or is there a correct way to do this?

Thanks!!

IMG_8952.jpg

You'll need to drill holes. The PO either had them filled or they replaced the rocker panels. Looks like they also filled the A pillar seam. If it's just skimmed with bondo you can probably expect it to crack if you flex the rig a lot. You should be able to create a template from the running boards to locate the holes. Stiffening up the backside with some 1/8" x 1" flat bar isn't a bad idea :)

Couldn’t you also clamp the running board where you want it, then sharpie where you need to drill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom