AHC shock is creaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I replaced one ball joint recently and swapped the upper arms out for the SPC's. I just assumed the ball joints were the source of my creaking but after getting the passenger side out and realizing it had no play I decided to actually do the crowbar under the tire test on the drivers side. I don't see any play.

(On a positive note, the passenger side upper joint was probably close to to totally failing so it wasn't a total waste of time!)

My creaking is getting WORSE!

It can happen when I stand on the running board, move the truck a mere few inches on asphalt, almost all the time, anytime! It seems to be worse when its hot out and I noticed it not being nearly as bad last night when it was cooler and wet out.

I went out yesterday with a mechanics stethoscope and found the noise to be strongest on the actual AHC shock. Do these things start to creak when they are starting to go kaput? Fluid was swapped out less than a year ago, system seems to function fine.... Any ideas?

I WD40'ed the shock mounts and swaybar links and it didn't make a difference

Did you lube all of the Z fittings? There are a lot of moving parts under the truck. Maybe have someone push up and down on the truck with the steering turned from full left lock to full right lock. Good luck.

The bushing on the bottom of the AHC schock is probably worn. Take the wheel off and then the bottom bolt holding the schock. Should have enough play to look at it.

Question is can a bushing be sourced to replace a worn one?

The bushing on the bottom of the AHC schock is probably worn. Take the wheel off and then the bottom bolt holding the schock. Should have enough play to look at it.

Question is can a bushing be sourced to replace a worn one?
X2. Yes, the bushing is available from Toyota.

X2. Yes, the bushing is available from Toyota.

I'll give this a try. As an interesting turn of events...

Its been a little cooler here the last 2 days and suddenly had no creaks! It started to warm up a little today and creaking started again. So not too sure what that means. Its weird but in the beginning of summer I felt like it didn't ride as well when it started getting really hot out.

its got about 155k on it now fyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom