Anyone have SST 09530-35010? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vulcan

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm about to rebuild my differentials and was hoping to go by the book and use this SST to determine correct shim.

I've searched around and can't find it anywhere. It sold on Canadian ebay for like $26 + shipping back in December, too bad I wasn't paying attention then!

Anyway, is anyone willing to loan this out? I would pay the upfront deposit equal to value of the tool and get back everything less the rental rate. These would be carefully used on freshly powdercoated diff covers, goal would be to take the measurements and send back within a week.

SST 09530-35010.JPG

While probably incredibly helpful and the ideal way to go, the tool really isn't necessary. You can do it by trial and error. Having proper tools to remove and install the inner pinion bearing helps during the trial and error. If you're just replacing bearings (not the ring and pinion), and the diff hasn't been messed with too much or had issues over the years, you can start with the same pinion shim thickness that's in there currently and adjust from there based on the resulting findings.

I know, you'd prefer the ideal factory tool, but I'm sure most of us have never seen one let alone used one.

Thanks @spotcruiser, appreciate the feedback. I've got a used ring and pinion from another cruiser going in one of the diffs, and may have a new gear set going into the other, so was hoping this tool would help take out some of the guess work.

As I understand it, as long as my replacement bearings are the same dimensions as the old bearings (should be, I'm using new OEM bearings), I can lightly grind down the outer ring of the old bearing races so I don't have to keep driving the races in and out. Once the ring pattern is good, I take apart a final time, drive in new races, and set up for real. I don't think the bearing that goes on the pinion has a shim/washer behind it (for my 1972... I've seen videos where there is a washer behind that bearing but I don't see it anywhere in manual or Toyota diagrams), but if it does, I could dremel the inside of that bearing so it comes on/off and press it on once that shim thickness is settled.

That's all good, but if the tool saves me two hours per diff, I'd love to rent. I've also never done gear sets before, and while I've read the FSM instructions a bunch and feel comfortable with it and got the rest of the tools I need, anything that will make the job a little easier will be huge.

I just looked up the tool number and found this. It might be helpful.

SST 09530-35010 Differential Drive Pinion Adjust Gauge

I checked on that and unfortunately not loaning and not doing reproductions anytime soon :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom