FJ-80 Trail Gear Rock Defense Front Bumper experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Probably the cheapest option out there. Sticks out too much IMO. I like it though and would be fine with it until i have enough funds to upgrade to something better.

It's TG, steer clear and spend your money on an American made product made by Americans.

I have been in an accident with this one mounted on my 80. Wasn't paying attention and rear ended a new Durango at a red-light right turn. Other driver was fine and so was my bumper. Some dents - that being said, I will replace with an ARB eventually because I like the look better.

I have been in an accident with this one mounted on my 80. Wasn't paying attention and rear ended a new Durango at a red-light right turn. Other driver was fine and so was my bumper. Some dents - that being said, I will replace with an ARB eventually because I like the look better.
The ARB looks good but I was afraid the approach angle wasn't as good for a lot of rocks.

41644948895_a515789f0a_b.jpg

I have it, it's super solid and I have no doubts about its strength. Would buy again without hesitation - not to mention I paid $375 shipped for it because I bought it from ebay on one of the days there was a 20% off coupon. To the guy suggesting other 'Murican made bumpers, that's a nice thought except you're gonna spend 2-3x as much for something that's not functionally any better so it depends what your priorities are I guess. It sticks out farther than some bumpers but I don't think it looks bad, it actually makes a nice platform to stand on when you're working on the engine... lol... not to mention it can fit a big ass winch.

All bolt on. Installed by myself. No welding needed. Only issue is the A/C dryer is very visible/exposed. That being said, haven't had any problems.

Penny at Cape Disappointment.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it just bolts on and includes the hardware. I didn't have any issues installing it by myself either, but if it were any heavier I would have needed help. Only drawback is it comes unpainted but there are some pretty durable spraypaints out there should you choose to not get it powdercoated.

I like mine. Not the most attractive bumper out there but well built, nice fit, relatively light and alot of room for the winch. Made of DOM, the winch plate and pull point looks very strong and nice (robot?)welds. I added some a/c receiver/drier protection, high lift mount and had mine powder coated and have pleased with it.

P1060095.JPG

P1060119.JPG

I like mine. Not the most attractive bumper out there but well built, nice fit, relatively light and alot of room for the winch. Made of DOM, the winch plate and pull point looks very strong and nice (robot?)welds. I added some a/c receiver/drier protection, high lift mount and had mine powder coated and have pleased with it.

View attachment 1770581

View attachment 1770582
Beautiful!

Bump it Offroad good clearance, looks nice, good cost mine has held up for years. Trail mart sticks out pretty far so does the arb, I would do 4x4 labs bump it or slee, bump it does have ac dryer protection also
Thanks for that suggestion. BIO must have the lightest one of them all.

I came up with a scheme to chop a couple inches out of the TG bumper and weld it back together to take out some of the unnecessary "sticking out-ness," but probably not worth the work for the price differential between the BIOR tube bumper (in CO, so no shipping cost for me).

I have no problem with TG for this type of stuff. I have used their cheapy sliders with good results.

Now contemplating front mount intercooler options again, so I will likely make my own when the time comes.

I have one on one of the 80's I have. Good bumper for the money. Sticks out quite a bit. My friend has a Metaltech that is somewhat similar in design but is tucked way in by comparison. I think there are better rock crawling bumpers, but anything else is going to cost at least 2-5 times as much and may have to be assembled. If you want to bolt on cheap solution, this is a good buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom