Need suspension advice for my 2007 Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nat

Threads
I have a 2007 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4. It is my daily driver, but I want to set it up for overland adventures too. I have a 1972 FJ55 Toyota Landcruiser that is built to be a wheeler, but it isn’t ideal for carting the family around.

The Tacoma has just the stock (non TSB) rear leaf springs and of course stock front coils and shocks.

So far I have done the AUX input mod, added a soft top and snorkel.

I am unsure which suspension I want to go with. Likely I will stay close to the stock tire size as I need to try and keep my mileage as good as I can. I get around 18-19 for everyday driving. I love the way the trucks look with a 3” lift and bigger tires, but I fear I will lose too much.

I want to improve my suspension. I carry loads in the bed and tow trailers. I will be adding a front bumper and winch and also a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. I am also going to build a drawer system and will have a roof top tent.

I really like OME stuff, its what I have on my Landcruiser. I wanted to try and keep the lift under 3” but improve it for my uses.

What are the best options for suspension? Any help and suggestions and web links is appreciated!

It's hard on CVs to lift IFS more than 2.5"s so keep it to that or less and make sure you get a dif drop kit and check your boots regularly.

Camburg, King or Icon coilovers seem to be popular, you can also replace your UCAs to gain more travel but this is the mose expensive route.

When I was young and dumb I put a 3" coil spacer on my old Taco and blew my CV boots.

I have Bilstein 5100s on my Tundra, they are a performance strut that also nets you anywhere from stock to 3" lift depending where you set it. Only about $185 for the pair from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com I love this set-up, on road and off, it's cheap, retains stock springs and upgrades the strut. Threw a Skyjacker AAL in the rear (it's all the local parts house carried).

My buddy just put a OME kit (new springs and struts) on a 2010 Tundra, and he's happy with it.

Either way if you're not going to put bigger meats on I wouldn't lift it any more than 1-2" that way you can retain suspension droop and avoid premature wear.

The next route is a geometry lift but I believe they start at about 4" and are kind of a s***ty idea anyhow.

Wheeler's Offroad has a good selection of products. I put some Icon coil overs up front and a Deaver pack with Bilstein 5100's in the back. My lift is mild, 2.5-3" inches which is all I want/ need to run 33's thus protecting my CV boots and factory ride. The reason I went with coil overs is because they can handle the weight of my ARB bumper and Warn M8000 winch, my Tacoma is a 3rd Gen.

OME is still a great choice, especially if you're on a budget. You can blow the bank on some nice Icon, King or Saw coilovers, but I'm not sure you get the bang for the buck. The fully assembled coilovers are usually adjustable and fully rebuildable (and look pretty), but you pay around 2x the cost of an OME spring/strut combo. I had a 2006 double cab that I ran OME 886's and OME struts, and it was a good setup - maybe a bit stiff....but decent for holding the weight of the bumper/winch combo. Without the extra weight up front, the 886's are too tall and stiff - the 885's are better for a stock'ish setup.

For the rears I think an OME leaf pack is the way to go - best combination of load carrying capabilities and flex. Deaver also makes good stuff, but it tends to flex more and carry less - better for a wheeler vs. an expedition rig. I had an AAL, but it was stiff and didn't hold weight well - I'd spend more on a full leaf pack.

Kurt is a good choice for OME products
www.cruiseroutfitters.com

Toytec Lifts has some other options and has been in the Tacoma game for a while (local Denver dealer). And Demello sells all that stuff too, and makes some nice armor for Tacomas.

I agree on OME if you don't plan to add a winch and bullbar. No problems with my OME set up on my 60. Kurt is a great choice!

I'll repost my comments from the 'third spot' :D

Another vote for OME, never have a customer comment on regrets following an OME setup. They are simple, reliable and they work. No doubt you can get more 'performance' out of adjustable coil overs, etc, but they don't have the longevity that the OME products offer and when your travels land you in the middle of nowhere far from a shock rebuilder, that counts. My not so unbiased 2 cents :D

It's hard on CVs to lift IFS more than 2.5"s so keep it to that or less and make sure you get a dif drop kit and check your boots regularly.

Camburg, King or Icon coilovers seem to be popular, you can also replace your UCAs to gain more travel but this is the mose expensive route.

When I was young and dumb I put a 3" coil spacer on my old Taco and blew my CV boots.

I have Bilstein 5100s on my Tundra, they are a performance strut that also nets you anywhere from stock to 3" lift depending where you set it. Only about $185 for the pair from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com I love this set-up, on road and off, it's cheap, retains stock springs and upgrades the strut. Threw a Skyjacker AAL in the rear (it's all the local parts house carried).

My buddy just put a OME kit (new springs and struts) on a 2010 Tundra, and he's happy with it.

Either way if you're not going to put bigger meats on I wouldn't lift it any more than 1-2" that way you can retain suspension droop and avoid premature wear.

The next route is a geometry lift but I believe they start at about 4" and are kind of a s***ty idea anyhow.

agree with this plus you can run Eibach coils up front for a decent affordable lift. I'm running the bilstein 5100's in the rear, great ride for the money.

I have a 2007 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4. It is my daily driver, but I want to set it up for overland adventures too. I have a 1972 FJ55 Toyota Landcruiser that is built to be a wheeler, but it isn’t ideal for carting the family around.

The Tacoma has just the stock (non TSB) rear leaf springs and of course stock front coils and shocks.

So far I have done the AUX input mod, added a soft top and snorkel.

I am unsure which suspension I want to go with. Likely I will stay close to the stock tire size as I need to try and keep my mileage as good as I can. I get around 18-19 for everyday driving. I love the way the trucks look with a 3” lift and bigger tires, but I fear I will lose too much.

I want to improve my suspension. I carry loads in the bed and tow trailers. I will be adding a front bumper and winch and also a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. I am also going to build a drawer system and will have a roof top tent.

I really like OME stuff, its what I have on my Landcruiser. I wanted to try and keep the lift under 3” but improve it for my uses.

What are the best options for suspension? Any help and suggestions and web links is appreciated!
With all the things you're planing on doing to it expect realistic MPG to be around 13-15 at best. Just giving you a reality check. I have most the things you listed except for the winch. And it eats trough gas, at best I could milk 250 miles out of full tank.

Its been over 6 years since this thread was started mr reality check.

I'm a big fan of the 5100s, its a lot of bang for the buck - and way better than a spacer lift. In the rear, you should check out the add a leaf kit from Icon, it adds like 1.5" and really helps soften out the ride. I have a heavy flippac on the back, so I kept the overload spring on, even though the Icon kit is intended to replace the overload spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom